Issues with Newer/Popular first

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
lwc

Issues with Newer/Popular first

#1 Post by lwc »

Just some issues you may wish to handle:
  1. Newer first seems to refer to "last entry edit" and not "last app version", which is misleading as most people care more for the latter
  2. If you click Newer first, it shows you Popular first and vice versa. I can see the logic, but it's still confusing
  3. The default is Newer first. If you click it, then Popular first is used by appending &so=p to the URL.
    If you click it again, it's done by switching to just &.
    But if you click it again, it's done by switching to &&so=p
    Continue this and you'll get &&&&&&&& until infinity.
    Not the end of the world, but could be avoided.

Andrew Lee

Re: Issues with Newer/Popular first

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

lwc wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:19 pm [*]Newer first seems to refer to "last entry edit" and not "last app version", which is misleading as most people care more for the latter
I don't think sorting by "last app version" is a thing, unless you are referring to most recently released software, which is not really what we mean, 'cos some stuff that are added to the database are released a couple of years back. So newer does refer to "most recently edited", but I can't think of a more succinct word to reference that, other than "newer".
lwc wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:19 pm [*]If you click Newer first, it shows you Popular first and vice versa. I can see the logic, but it's still confusing.
Yeah, the logic is the current wording reflects your current state i.e. what you are currently viewing, and clicking on the link toggles to a different state. I have added a pop-over to show you what state it will switch to when you click on it. Hopefully that makes it better.
lwc wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:19 pm [*]The default is Newer first. If you click it, then Popular first is used by appending &so=p to the URL.
If you click it again, it's done by switching to just &.
But if you click it again, it's done by switching to &&so=p
Continue this and you'll get &&&&&&&& until infinity.
Not the end of the world, but could be avoided.
Now this is interesting, 'cos I can't replicate it on my browsers (clicking back is supposed to remove "?so=p"). What browser and version are you using?

lwc

#3 Post by lwc »

Andrew Lee wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:42 am I don't think sorting by "last app version" is a thing, unless you are referring to most recently released software, which is not really what we mean, 'cos some stuff that are added to the database are released a couple of years back. So newer does refer to "most recently edited", but I can't think of a more succinct word to reference that, other than "newer".
I'd just change it to "last released" i.e. the most recently released software.
If someone edits an app from 2008, it shouldn't be first.
Now this is interesting, 'cos I can't replicate it on my browsers (clicking back is supposed to remove "?so=p"). What browser and version are you using?
Don't click "back", just click the sort link again. Each time you click it, you'll get more &&&s.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

lwc wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:00 am I'd just change it to "last released" i.e. the most recently released software.
If someone edits an app from 2008, it shouldn't be first.
No, most recently edited is what we want. Sometimes we do add a new entry that is released in eg. 2019, and we want that to be listed first.
lwc wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:00 am Don't click "back", just click the sort link again. Each time you click it, you'll get more &&&s.
I didn't click [Back]. I clicked on the same link again. Tested using Chrome.

lwc

#5 Post by lwc »

This is very weird, as I can't reproduce it now.

So is there no way to just view by release date?

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

lwc wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:19 pm This is very weird, as I can't reproduce it now.

So is there no way to just view by release date?
Nope.