New cateogry: System - Temperature/Fans

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
lwc

New cateogry: System - Temperature/Fans

#1 Post by lwc »

With all the usage people like us put on, it's good to monitor the computer's fans at least once in a while.
I therefore like to propose this category, similar to System - CPU.
Currently these apps are hard to find as only one of them is searchable using the word "fan" while all others fall under "temperature". It's especially annoying as this search term clashes with temperature converter apps.

Possible candidates:
  1. CrystalDiskInfo
  2. HDDScan
  3. PassMark DiskCheckup
  4. HD Tune
  5. DTemp
  6. Core Temp
  7. DiskSmartView
  8. HWiNFO
  9. HWMonitor
  10. Real Temp
  11. MobileMeter
Can you add it?

Thanks!

Andrew Lee

Re: New cateogry: System - Temperature/Fans

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

You can simply edit any entry eg. CrystalDiskInfo and add the new category.

I have done it for CrystalDiskInfo, so the new category is now also available to be added to other entries.

lwc

#3 Post by lwc »

Thanks, done!

Will you consider adding this feature to the FAQ? Does it also mean you can delete a category by removing it from all the relevant apps?

Anyway, the remaining annoying factor is that many of these only track the HD Temperature/fan, but the category doesn't make a difference.
Do you think it's worth it to make different categories (HD fan, etc.) or is it too small a resolution?

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

lwc wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:11 pm Will you consider adding this feature to the FAQ? Does it also mean you can delete a category by removing it from all the relevant apps?
Well, it's not really deleted. The category just goes private, which you can view by clicking "Show private categories".
lwc wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:11 pmAnyway, the remaining annoying factor is that many of these only track the HD Temperature/fan, but the category doesn't make a difference.
Do you think it's worth it to make different categories (HD fan, etc.) or is it too small a resolution?
Yeah, I think that resolution would be too fine. Best to add to the description if you think it's useful information for the program.

lwc

#5 Post by lwc »

Will you add to the FAQ?

As for small resolutions, it possible to add subcategories like "System - Fan - HD?

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

lwc wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:01 am Will you add to the FAQ?
My apologies. I missed the quesiton. I don't think this belongs to the FAQ because only a small group of regulars ever perform database updates. Best to leave such info to the forum.
As for small resolutions, it possible to add subcategories like "System - Fan - HD?
No, this will clutter up the category listing. Try to work it into the description so that it becomes searchable. There is also a "keywords" field that is non-visible but is used in the search.