Site seems to be lacking/missing/maybe just slow on updates recently?

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Special

Site seems to be lacking/missing/maybe just slow on updates recently?

#1 Post by Special »

I've noticed some software aren't showing up on the front page that normally would show within a day or two of a new program getting updated, no idea how updates are tracked here or if someone is very busy in life (understandable), but just thought I'd share to let you know I've been noticing lately. Site is fantastic as always though :P.

These seem to be some of the major ones that this site usually stays on top of, somehow they've been missed. :shock:

foobar2000
mp3Tag
LiveTcpUdpWatch
NetworkUsageView
TaskSchedulerView

Andrew Lee

Re: Site seems to be lacking/missing/maybe just slow on updates recently?

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

I think we need everyone to pitch in for this to be sustainable. Relying on 1 or 2 persons for what is supposed to be information crowdsourcing is not going to work in the long run.

If there are some programs that you folks use regularly and are always in touch with updates, it would be much appreciated if you could take a bit of time to update those entries.

Thanks!

__philippe

#4 Post by __philippe »

Quite agree, Andrew...let's give it a try then... :wink:

https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=3027

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

__philippe wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:48 am Here is the Source of Our Discontent
It's because billon has been kind enough to handle all that for like 3 years now, having done hundreds of updates to the database. He's been so on top of it, we've had developers remark on how fast we are.

Regardless, I fully agree with Andrew that we'll need community help on this one. I'm trying to setup something more automatic to check for updates but I'll keep that process open so anyone can use it to update entries if they're so inclined.
Special wrote:foobar2000
mp3Tag
LiveTcpUdpWatch
NetworkUsageView
TaskSchedulerView
Thanks, I'll try to get those updated in the days ahead.

SYSTEM

#6 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:23 am Regardless, I fully agree with Andrew that we'll need community help on this one. I'm trying to setup something more automatic to check for updates but I'll keep that process open so anyone can use it to update entries if they're so inclined.
How about WebVersions? It's outright meant for that purpose.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

bitcoin

#7 Post by bitcoin »

Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:32 am I think we need everyone to pitch in for this to be sustainable. Relying on 1 or 2 persons for what is supposed to be information crowdsourcing is not going to work in the long run.

Thanks!
you need to do something to mend fences, the site cant afford to lose people like Billon

also, you should be making efforts to get more people to join the forum

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:04 amyou need to do something to mend fences, the site cant afford to lose people like Billon
I've reached out to him and certainly hope he's not finished with the site but, like Andrew said, it's not sustainable to lean on any one person for the health of a project. I'm including myself on that, having taken steps to let someone take over for me should I drop off the site.
bitcoin wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:04 am also, you should be making efforts to get more people to join the forum
Suggestions welcome on how to do that.
SYSTEM wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:50 am How about WebVersions? It's outright meant for that purpose.
Definitely also an option. I'm mostly drawn to WebChangeMonitor because it's actively developed and works with a simple CSV spreadsheet that you can import/export, which might enable collaboration on a site list.

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

bitcoin wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:04 am you need to do something to mend fences, the site cant afford to lose people like Billon
If there's something specific that you think I should be doing, do let me know.

I'd be the first to acknowledge billion's massive contribution to this site, that's why we asked him to be mod. It sucks, because I think we all hate to lose a friend.

bitcoin

#10 Post by bitcoin »

webfork wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:26 am
bitcoin wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:04 am also, you should be making efforts to get more people to join the forum
Suggestions welcome on how to do that.
should have monthly software license giveaways, like 5 per month for users who sign up to the forum and make 5-10 comments in a few weeks time.
Also could give away VPN trials, something like that. In exchange for this maybe run a small banner across the top of front page and the individual program pages for the company that contributes the licenses or products. Make it fun and the word will start to get around.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:35 pm Also could give away VPN trials, something like that.
Andrew is welcome to chime in here, but to my knowledge the current ad revenue is only just paying for hosting/bandwidth. I'm not sure he would want to hand that off to a company for site promotions.

Regardless, it's a creative idea and I welcome more like it.

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

Are we sure we want to go down this route? Isn't this like trying to commercialize the site? I have serious reservations about this proposal.

I do get a lot of spam emails with all kinds of proposals.. running ads, post for $$$ etc. I have mostly ignored them because I am a tech guy who hates dealing with biz stuff. Plus then I'd have to deal with pandering to the "clients" wishes and balance that against not ruining the community that we have. I am not sure I will do a very good job with that.

The current model is very simple. There's the hosting cost, which frankly is not that much in the grand scheme of things, so I could yank the ads tomorrow if I wanted to (but it's fun to include them, because the gAds backend provides a lot of info regarding site stats without running a log analyzer yourself).Then there's my time, which is far greater than hosting cost, but the cost is free for the same reason as why the rest of you do the same.

If any of you want to take up the challenge to make the site more "fun" (with the community's blessings of course), I am all for it. But I am definitely not your guy for this job. That I know with 100% certainty. But I can already predict some loud voices will emerge screaming against such commercial activities, and threatening to leave the site! :D

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:42 pm I do get a lot of spam emails with all kinds of proposals.. running ads, post for $$$ etc. I have mostly ignored them because I am a tech guy who hates dealing with biz stuff.
Hey if it's not something that you think would have high effort-to-benefit ratio, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure we can come up with other ideas to draw greater involvement. I was actually thinking that was one of the underlying goals of the CLI site effort.

Specular

#14 Post by Specular »

Personally I was a bit more active in updating entries of programs that I used when I had an RSS reader in the browser I was using. It's great when the notifications come to you in that way.

Firefox had a solid one prior to moving to the Quantum addon architecture and that would keep me up-to-date but since moving to Vivaldi I've had nothing I found that was worth using for quite some time :(

Really hope Vivaldi's upcoming in-built feed reader releases soon since it appears virtually the same as Opera's old feed reader (which I used before FF) and as I use the browser on multiple OSes it'd be good to be able to return to such a convenient arrangement.

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

Have you tested online only inoreader.com? Has been my number one RSS reader for quite some time now and as you seem more comfortable with browser based solutions it just might fill the bill.