[solved] Problems with site features in Firefox

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Midas

[solved] Problems with site features in Firefox

#1 Post by Midas »

Following a recent catastrophic crash of my main laptop, I've been compelled to use a different computer with has no SeaMonkey for my interaction with TPFC.

What I am reporting here isn't anything new, because it was already present in Firefox modern versions in the old computer, but it's just something that has now grown into a real nuisance.

I tested this with two different browsers as seen below, the latest versions of Firefox (installed) and Vivaldi (portable).

In Firefox, most site features are disabled and the forum post editor doesn't really work: I can't insert formatting tags by clicking in the toolbar buttons, for example.

Firefox does have the uBlock Origin and NanoDefender extensions installed, though.

Any insight into circumventing Firefox behavior welcome...

vevy

Re: Problems with site features in Firefox

#2 Post by vevy »

I can reproduce your issue by disabling JS. Open uBlock Origin's logger and try to see which script may be blocked, especially from googleapis. If you must exclude Google, try this (also see here).

TP109

#3 Post by TP109 »

I use FF v82.0.2 64-bit installed on Win 7 and I don't have that issue. I also have Ublock Origin active in medium mode and blocking all third party scripts and iframes by default. Does anything change by disabling UBO on TPFC? Maybe try disabling all plugins too. However, that the problem was also present in the other computer makes it suspect that the issue could be OS related or further up the chain - perhaps a network setting?

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Thanks for the input.

After disabling uBlock and NanoDefender without visible results, I disabled the dozen or so extensions I have one by one and reloaded TPFC main page and finally found the culprit, which I promptly removed. :oops:

FTR, it was this one: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yesscript2/

Case closed. Now to find why live.com is failing to load on this computer...

P.S.: FTR, previous versions of YesScript have worked for years without issue, providing a just-in-case resource for disabling annoying site scripts.

TP109

Re: [solved] Problems with site features in Firefox

#5 Post by TP109 »

Midas wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:02 am FTR, it was this one: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yesscript2/
It seems that in most cases, there shouldn't be any need to use any other Ad-Blocker or Script-blocker when using UBO. Even though it's usable right out of the box, using it effectively requires using it in medium or hard mode by reading though its extensive documentation:

UBlock Origin Wiki

I looked at the Decentraleyes extension briefly.
Complements regular blockers such as uBlock Origin (recommended), Adblock Plus, et al.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ntraleyes/
Interesting plugin (it mentions UBO a lot), but using it adds complexity and requires configuring UBO to unbreak pages to enable it to work (unless using UBO easy mode). And that makes troubleshooting issues more difficult. If it was officially recognized or endorsed by UBO, or installable from within UBO (like the current set of filter lists), then that would be an additional incentive to use it. It's probably better to use one or the other instead of both.