Rename System requirements to "OS support" (Edit: or "Supported OS")

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.

Rename "System requirements" to "OS support"

Yes
17%
No
33%
Whatever
50%
Yes, but to something else. Please, mention below.
No votes

Total votes: 6

vevy

Rename System requirements to "OS support" (Edit: or "Supported OS")

#1 Post by vevy »

I suggest we rename System requirements to "OS support". Edit: or "Supported OS"

System requirements is more than just the operating system, which this field is about.

Also, it throws me off a lot, getting confused with dependencies in my mind. :oops:

In general, "operating system" or similar wording is used in many places. For example:
  • Wikipedia.
  • Softpedia (Uses "Runs On", and under the hood it is itemprop="operatingSystem").
  • Download.com uses "Operating Systems".
  • tucows.com uses "OS".
  • softonic 🤢 uses "OS".
On the other hand, some sites do use requirements:
  • MajorGeeks uses "Requires".
  • filehippo.com uses "Requirements" (but under the hood: program-technical-tab-os-title).
So, what do you think?

webfork

Re: Rename System requirements to "OS support" (Edit: or "Supported OS")

#2 Post by webfork »

I don't have an issue with that, but I do want to point out that one item on the list of available options isn't an operating system: WINE. That program can run on quite a few operating systems, and WINE compatibility also suggests the program is more likely to run in that family of tools such as ReactOS or emulators.

vevy

#3 Post by vevy »

True. But WINE is there as a stand-in for an OS – the whole kit and caboodle needed to run any Windows software.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

If I am forced to make a choice, I actually kinda like "Runs on".

vevy

#5 Post by vevy »

Andrew Lee wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:14 am If I am forced to make a choice, I actually kinda like "Runs on".
Fine by me. 👍

billon

#6 Post by billon »

vevy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:29 pm Also, it throws me off a lot, getting confused with dependencies in my mind.
me not and nobody else
only your problem

vevy

#7 Post by vevy »

You may be right, but you'd help me and lose nothing. Can you think of any harm in the change?

It is not a major deal either way.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote:"Runs on"
I can see some real advantages with that. For example, we do have those webpage-based applications (viewtopic.php?p=97672#p97672) that are OS-independent, and I think are going to keep growing. If so, "Runs on" might be the best descriptor.

Then again, maybe one day Java or dotNET Core will actually deliver on a broad, cross-platform capability, and we'll somehow incorporate that. Right now there are only a few rare apps that like DocFetcher and XMind that are portable on multiple platforms.

It also occurred to me that a few of our entries list what "a 3D card with OpenGL support" in the entry, where anywhere else that would be a "System Requirement".
vevy wrote:It is not a major deal either way.
We might decline some suggestions but those remain still welcome here. Thanks for your input.

vevy

#9 Post by vevy »

webfork wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:29 pm
Andrew Lee wrote:"Runs on"
I can see some real advantages with that. For example, we do have those webpage-based applications (viewtopic.php?p=97672#p97672) that are OS-independent, and I think are going to keep growing. If so, "Runs on" might be the best descriptor.

Then again, maybe one day Java or dotNET Core will actually deliver on a broad, cross-platform capability, and we'll somehow incorporate that. Right now there are only a few rare apps that like DocFetcher and XMind that are portable on multiple platforms.

It also occurred to me that a few of our entries list what "a 3D card with OpenGL support" in the entry, where anywhere else that would be a "System Requirement".
vevy wrote:It is not a major deal either way.
We might decline some suggestions but those remain still welcome here. Thanks for your input.
I think that the OS-compatibility should be its own field. I agree that line between OS and platform is getting a bit blurrier, but out-of-the-box cross-platform works because the underlying platform (e.g. Java) has been developed for multiple OSes and its integration with theses systems under the hood differs. Their point is to abstract the interaction between app and OS so that a developer can write pretty much one code base. Still, the OS is different.

Some of the software sites I mentioned above use things like: "SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS" or "Additional Requirements" for things like Java and .NET.

This is why it confuses me. It is used in multiple places to mean different things.

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

OK, I have made the change.

vevy

#11 Post by vevy »

Thanks a lot!

SYSTEM

#12 Post by SYSTEM »

vevy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:59 pm I agree that line between OS and platform is getting a bit blurrier, but out-of-the-box cross-platform works because the underlying platform (e.g. Java) has been developed for multiple OSes and its integration with theses systems under the hood differs. Their point is to abstract the interaction between app and OS so that a developer can write pretty much one code base. Still, the OS is different.
Worth noting that this doesn't work on .NET Core. While .NET Core itself is cross-platform, all major UI frameworks for it are a part of "Windows Desktop Pack" which only works on Windows: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/n ... lications/
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

billon

#13 Post by billon »

Andrew Lee wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:03 pm OK, I have made the change.
Wait, why? "System Requirements" was absolutely OK for many years, there weren't any confused idiots
Even voting results are equal, or what was this shitshow for?

Andrew Lee

#14 Post by Andrew Lee »

For me personally, it just comes down to:

1) Simple change to make.
2) "Runs on" is shorter than "System requirements", and seems to convey the same meaning. I am all for shorter, without impact to meaning.

If somehow this was not the right decision, I am OK to revert the change if I sense enough opposition.

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote:I am all for shorter, without impact to meaning.

That sums up my rationale pretty much, too.