New site logo?

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
webfork

New site logo?

#1 Post by webfork »

So our current (very good) logo was put together by tproli back in 2012 and I wanted to ask if it was time for a refresh. If everyone's perfectly happy with the current logo, we'll obviously stick with what we've got, but I know a few graphics people who I might ping and ask to suggest something.

So the questions are:
  • What should a TPFC logo look like? What icons or imagery evoke portability?
  • Does anyone on the site have some experience with this or can recommend someone?
Although that's nice if someone wants to donate their time, this isn't really the time to be asking people to do stuff for free or for exposure. I'd be happy to pay someone for their work.
Last edited by webfork on Thu May 07, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Lee

Re: New site logo?

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

I will generally get out of the way of this discussion because as some of you might know by know, I am pretty bad when it comes to graphics and colours. :lol:

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Probably preaching to the choir here, but still...

webfork wrote:
  • What should a TPFC logo look like? What icons or imagery evoke portability?

Crisp and clean, with universal recognition and appeal. Pendrive, handle, suitcase, backpack, tent...

Sorry, can't help with the second question. Personally null in the field, too.

__philippe

#4 Post by __philippe »

Spoiler!   
(Apologies for raining on your parade... :mrgreen: )

Cornflower

#5 Post by Cornflower »

I'm not good with drawing or graphics, but here is a concept pic. A suitcase comes to mind.

https://imgur.com/a/4QcoYIU

For a larger logo, perhaps an open suitcase on a stand, seen from the back, much like Manhattan 1950s street vendors, who had to be very portable should the local beat cops come around.

Special

#6 Post by Special »

__philippe wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:11 am
Spoiler!   
(Apologies for raining on your parade... :mrgreen: )

Specular

#7 Post by Specular »

It used to have a graphic of packed cardboard boxes to the left before the design refresh.

Quite partial to the straightforwardness of the current design tbh.

Pendrive

#8 Post by Pendrive »

DELETED
Last edited by Pendrive on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Pendrive wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:10 amwhy not hold a quick poll
I think a poll would ask a fairly easy question of whether someone who's not a graphics person can come up with a logo better than the already well-liked image. I probably wouldn't vote yes if someone else had posted this thread, so it's on me to justify this or close the topic.

It's important because ultimately when we say "portable" we actually mean a specific kind. It's not freeware that works between operating systems (like Java), across architectures (like ARM and x86), or across programming languages (Javascript/C). It's sometimes about USB drives but not exclusively. I'd like someone coming to the website seeing at least in a basic, visual way. What I'm struggling with is a way to communicate some of that visually.

So anyway, next steps on this topic are on me.