Deprecating rank for inactive users

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Specular

Re: Deprecating rank for inactive users

#31 Post by Specular »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:04 amFor voting on quality, the wordings are the same as before: a) This app rocks b) This app sucks

For voting on visibility, the wordings will be changed to:

a) Add this entry to my collection
b) Remove this entry from my collection
c) This entry should be removed from the database
Yeah I think this might be better, unless there are objections. That way for example if a registered user changes their mind about what they think of the quality of a program (negatively), unless it's a significant issue that affects the entry's validity in the database, they could do it without necessarily affecting its public status.

Special

#32 Post by Special »

billon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:31 pm Alternatives - do you think there should be only one image viewer in the database, only one music player, only one file manager? There are currently more than dozen hash checkers in the database and should be more. Alternative is always better.
Of course not, there should be as many alternative as possible, and my intent was to never hide/remove entries from the site unless good reason like being malicious/spyware, but only to adjust the star rating/popularity of them, are you telling me everything should be a "4.5/5 star" for the dozens of hashcheckers on this site? Is ShareX worse then Greenshot or is it better? Blame the way this site handles its voting/not being clear what the buttons do, which luckily is being talked about and seems to be getting changed for the better.

Midas

#33 Post by Midas »

Isn't that over-complicating something that was working fairly well up to the present? I have no qualms regarding the underlying proposal, though...

Specular

#34 Post by Specular »

Midas wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:23 am Isn't that over-complicating something that was working fairly well up to the present? I have no qualms regarding the underlying proposal, though...
Well, what worked up until this topic was a system where downvotes didn't count for anything for either registered or non-registered users, so we didn't run into issues where, for example, registered users were unwittingly contributing to making an entry private by simply voting 'This App Sucks' as a measure of quality but not necessarily validity as an entry.

The issue some saw with the first set of changes to the system, earlier in the thread with for example Special's downvoting which a few disagreed with them for (including some concerns of your own), is due to the lack of clarity about the differences between registered vs non-registered user downvoting in the current system and how it affects both the star rating and the public/private status simultaneously.

Due to this Andrew agreed it may be better to split judgments of quality (the star rating) from public/private voting (the validity of a program being visible in the database), with the latter also only seen to registered users.

Otherwise, if we wanted to make things as simple as it was before, it could all be reverted and the power to override upvotes and make entries private only given to the moderators (in cases where the users who upvoted in the first place can't be reached to remove their votes). Depends how many want that, I personally wouldn't care either way so long as there was agreement among active users that an entry should be made private.

Andrew Lee

#35 Post by Andrew Lee »

Specular wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:07 am Otherwise, if we wanted to make things as simple as it was before, it could all be reverted and the power to override upvotes and make entries private only given to the moderators
I guess that could be a reasonable way to go as well.

Make rock/sucks the same as before, and only showing the "remove" function to users with mod status.

Andrew Lee

#36 Post by Andrew Lee »

OK, the new system is in place i.e. the "rocks/sucks" functions are back to their old behaviour. The "Remove this entry" function is now only available to mods. I have also removed all non-mod negative votes so that we can start from fresh.

I apologise for having put everyone through this ordeal. I hope this tweaked system works well for the entire community.

Special

#37 Post by Special »

Seems like way to much "power" in the hands of the few, also now that it's back to the old way, there is no feedback of user knowledge that you've already "this app sucks" a program, you should fix that. Just have the option that you voted for hide afterwards.

Specular

#38 Post by Specular »

Special wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:49 pmSeems like way to much "power" in the hands of the few.
It's a fairly small group of active users atm and the current mods are also the most engaged in maintaining entries so it doesn't seem unreasonable to allow them, if there's a community consensus by enough active forum users, to make an entry private instead of waiting for ranked users who mightn't be see the topic (or even have visited the site in years) to remove their upvote.

The alternative and its pros and cons were discussed and it didn't seem quite unanimous for the solution. The proposal before this one came close but was felt by Midas to be overcomplicating things.

I think discussion of the pros and cons is worthwhile but there should probably be more activity in the topic if we want to all agree on something before they're implemented :D

Andrew Lee

#39 Post by Andrew Lee »

Special wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:49 pm Seems like way to much "power" in the hands of the few, also now that it's back to the old way, there is no feedback of user knowledge that you've already "this app sucks" a program, you should fix that. Just have the option that you voted for hide afterwards.
OK, fixed feedback. So now when you vote "sucks", only "rocks" will show subsequently.

But due to the way it is implemented, it will only apply to new clicks.

Special

#40 Post by Special »

Right on! Now I don't know what else to complain about... site's in a perfect state right now. :P

webfork

#41 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:03 pm I apologise for having put everyone through this ordeal. I hope this tweaked system works well for the entire community.
Not a problem. Again, I appreciate the effort.

Midas

#42 Post by Midas »

My personal thanks for your selfless contribution, dear founder. :sunglasses: