Is the "testing portability" FAQ up to date?

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
lwc

Is the "testing portability" FAQ up to date?

#1 Post by lwc »

How do you test the programs to ensure they are portable? wrote: Finally, when I have time, I will run the program again on a clean install of Windows XP (running in VirtualPC) to make sure it really works.
Many Windows programs don't support XP anymore or at least probably aren't tested on it by their own authors.
VirtualPC was removed when Windows 8 came out.

Does this FAQ need updating?

SYSTEM

Re: Is the "testing portability" FAQ up to date?

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

Right, that FAQ isn't up to date at all. It doesn't even take into account that TPFC database isn't being curated by Andrew anymore.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

E.g., you could check viewtopic.php?t=21885 for updated tips and pointers for portability testing...

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Thanks for pointing this out. There are a number of FAQ changes I've had brewing for some time. I'll try to push that to the forefront. Thanks also to Midas for the pointer.

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

I will give it a shot this weekend and put up a beta version for feedback. Keep you guys posted.

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have updated the FAQ somewhat. Changes are:

- Provided a link to the forum topic that discusses how to check for portability, while retaining the original simplistic approach to testing for portability.

- Removed section on why I would not include command line apps in the database.

That's pretty much it, and seems to remove all old references to me still being the curator of the site.

If there's anything you would like me to add or change, do let me know!

lwc

#7 Post by lwc »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:33 pm I have updated the FAQ somewhat. Changes are:
Thanks!
- Provided a link to the forum topic that discusses how to check for portability, while retaining the original simplistic approach to testing for portability.
People who won't click the forum link won't even know you recommend to use a sandbox, but I guess tha's on purpose since it's simplistic.
- Removed section on not why I would not include command line apps in the database.
Does it mean they're accepted now?
If there's anything you would like me to add or change, do let me know!
Well, I've always felt what's really missing is "What makes an application portable?", and not just what makes an application "stealth".
This question should explain what does it take to to qualify an application in the database in the first place.
Then "What is the process for getting an application into the database?" should link to this conceptual question before delving into the technical process.

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

lwc wrote: Well, I've always felt what's really missing is "What makes an application portable?", and not just what makes an application "stealth". This question should explain what does it take to to qualify an application in the database in the first place. Then "What is the process for getting an application into the database?" should link to this conceptual question before delving into the technical process.

I agree with lwc here. Luckily, I believe webfork has already done most of the heavy lifting:

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

OK, I have included a section called "What makes an application portable", which basically points to all the other resources we have on this topic.

I have also rearranged the FAQ to group like sections together.

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

Great work. 8)

I particularly appreciate the following formulation:
Commercial developers can have an advertising budget and resources available to them to help get their name out. They don't need help the way freeware developers do.

lwc

#11 Post by lwc »

Andrew Lee wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:04 am OK, I have included a section called "What makes an application portable", which basically points to all the other resources we have on this topic.

I have also rearranged the FAQ to group like sections together.
Awesome, thanks! About groping, will you consider switching between "What do you have against program installers?" and "What makes an application "stealth"?"?
Once you switch, "What makes an application "stealth"?" will be right with "What makes an application "portable"?" while the other question will be right with "Why is it so bad for an application to write its settings to the user profile folder?".

Also, I think there should be a new question called "why do you think apps should be portable?" which, at the very least, just give anchor links to "What do you have against program installers?" and "Why is it so bad for an application to write its settings to the user profile folder?".

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

lwc wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 pm Awesome, thanks! About groping, will you consider switching between "What do you have against program installers?" and "What makes an application "stealth"?"?
My apologies for the late reply. I was tied up in a family trip for the past few days.

I have updated the FAQ as you suggested!

lwc

#13 Post by lwc »

Andrew Lee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:47 pm I have updated the FAQ as you suggested!
Thanks! But looks like the anchor to "Why do you think apps should be portable?" is broken.

Andrew Lee

#14 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks! But looks like the anchor to "Why do you think apps should be portable?" is broken.
Arrgh! Thanks for spotting this. Fixed.