I post submission before I read the rules

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
zmni

I post submission before I read the rules

#1 Post by zmni »

This site has been my goto place (2nd is paf) for portable alternative for the software I use, long before I registered to this site 4 years ago.
I remembered reading rules & faq back then (after I re-read them again just minutes ago), and the discussionware and reputation building requirement is just show stopper for me. Not that I hate it. Just not my kind of thing. And I fully understand it's for preventing bad actor who just want to post spam and destroy good coomunity. Like userscripts.org, site so usefull vanished because of spam.

Ok, enough ramblings. Hope you guys check out my submission, I know there are lots of irc clients here, but maybe there will be someone who considers it more suited to their needs than other irc clients.

Thanks.

smaragdus

Re: I post submission before I read the rules

#2 Post by smaragdus »

@zmni

You know that battle with spam is hard. I am not in the least an expert about posting rules (I myself usually skip reading such kind of stuff) but in short- before adding a program to the database do the following:
  1. Be sure that the program is really portable and free.
  2. Check the forum to see if the program has not already been reviewed.
  3. If the program has never been reviewed write a short review about the it at the Portable Freeware Submission sub-forum introducing the program to the community. This is important because if you add a program directly to the database without reviewing it at the forum your addition may remain unnoticed and thus may never become public.
  4. Check the database (both public and private entries) whether someone else hasn't already added the same program- thus you will eliminate the risk of double entries (there were such in the past). The database may contain an entry that has never been reviewed at the forum and does not have its own forum thread as well.
  5. After you add a program to the database announce it at its forum thread with a link to the newly added (and currently private) database entry. This is also important because a program should get votes to become public.
Good software usually gets the necessary votes sooner or later (in most cases- rather sooner than later).

I appreciate your first post- it is neat, well-structured and informative. I will be glad if you become an active member of the community which is unfortunately dwindling.
Last edited by smaragdus on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Nice guide there, smaragdus. Thanks for the input. 8)

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:13 am Nice guide there, smaragdus. Thanks for the input. 8)
Agreed, this is excellent. Thank you for putting that together.