Suggestion - allow users to "hide" some programs

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
bitcoin

Suggestion - allow users to "hide" some programs

#1 Post by bitcoin »

Allow logged in users to "hide" some programs that they have no interest in. For example from the category "Data Extraction" i'm not interested in seeing Outlook Express Message Extractor or IncrediMail Message Extractor and would just as soon be able to click on a hide button that would either omit them from the results any time i click on that category or maybe they show up at the end of the list in a semi greyed-out format.

Data Extraction is a category that has only 6 results but this enhancement could be very useful especially in categories that have 30-40 entries.

what do you guys think?

webfork

Re: Suggestion - allow users to "hide" some programs

#2 Post by webfork »

So 99% of my time on the site has been programs that do something useful, which was divergent from the site's history, which involved quite a few games and things like a "useless fun" category. I don't know if that was good for the site generally, but so much of my work on portablefreeware has been about getting programs to run quietly and usefully at work.

So yeah I can see a use for that. I'm not sure how I'd implement it, but just ignoring all the games category items under a "hidden" or "see more set to hidden" link would have probably saved me a lot of time over the years.

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

This would be a major pretty change to the code, unless we have extremely compelling reasons to do it!

lintalist

#4 Post by lintalist »

@bitcoin if you want it bad enough it you should be able to do it using a proxy filter https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1228 (you need to enable SSL filtering which is tricky to do at the moment) or Proxydomo viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21996 (SSL filtering is easier to do there) - you would need to create a filter with a list of entries you'd like to hide, that list can either be in the filter directly but I would prepare a text file with a list of numbers so you can edit it more easily (just edit the text file)

IncrediMail Message Extractor ID = 1170 so a filter that would check for a <div class="entry-main group"> that contains "<a href="/index.php?id=1170" class="appName">" would hide that if you replace it (or you can give it another style). Instead of the number use a list (= a text file, see the docs of these programs $LST)

Might sound like a lot of work but it is under your control :-)

bitcoin

#5 Post by bitcoin »

lintalist wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:48 am @bitcoin if you want it bad enough it you should be able to do it using a proxy filter https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1228 (you need to enable SSL filtering which is tricky to do at the moment) or Proxydomo viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21996 (SSL filtering is easier to do there) - you would need to create a filter with a list of entries you'd like to hide, that list can either be in the filter directly but I would prepare a text file with a list of numbers so you can edit it more easily (just edit the text file)

IncrediMail Message Extractor ID = 1170 so a filter that would check for a <div class="entry-main group"> that contains "<a href="/index.php?id=1170" class="appName">" would hide that if you replace it (or you can give it another style). Instead of the number use a list (= a text file, see the docs of these programs $LST)

Might sound like a lot of work but it is under your control :-)
thanks, its not that big of deal. i just thought it might be an improvement