Why does this site constantly log me out?

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Special

Re: Why does this site constantly log me out?

#16 Post by Special »

So it is a conspiracy... What on earth is Andrew's end game here?

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

Special wrote:Does anyone else here have to log in at least once a week?
I can see some services where having to frequently log back in every few days would be annoying, but why is it important that you're not logged out of this one?

__philippe

#18 Post by __philippe »

My thoughts, precisely... :roll:

Considering one can swiftly log-on with a single click (provided user credentials were initially saved),
far from being a hindrance, TPFC's automatic log-out "feature" is actually a welcome security factor.

As my old pal WS was fond of saying :...;-)
Spoiler!   
Last edited by __philippe on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

#19 Post by Midas »

Famous last words: "Why? O why, dost thou will to mend that which is not broken?" :mrgreen:

Special

#20 Post by Special »

webfork wrote:
Special wrote:Does anyone else here have to log in at least once a week?
I can see some services where having to frequently log back in every few days would be annoying, but why is it important that you're not logged out of this one?
Why do you see this one as not being annoying to constantly log back into? What makes other sites annoying to log back into constantly that doesn't fit the bill here?

I check this site almost daily, and there are community aspects here that require being logged in, I can't vote on new entries, I can't add my two cents to someones comment, I can't reply to things on the forums or see what has been newly posted since the last time I checked, I'm just not going to bother with any of those anymore, ffs, I had to log back in just to reply to this, consider this my last time unless it's really important, I'll just treat this site as a lesser MajorGeeks or something, check the front page then move on.
__philippe wrote:My thoughts, precisely... :roll:
You literally add nothing with this post, Webfork asked me why something was important to me and you reply with "My thoughts, precisely... :roll:"

Swiftly log in? I can't, and welcomed security factor? This isn't a banking site, I'm not worried someones going to gain access to my desktop and post on a freeware site under my name... this is nothing but being a hindrance.

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

@Special : I am not in the business of discouraging involvement here on the site. However, I don't have the means to fix this one -- I'd actually recommend contacting Andrew directly. If you've begun to feel we don't care, please know it's been a weird few months as both he and I have taken turns with crazy life activity. I think he's receptive to this issue and will try to resolve it.
Last edited by webfork on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: (bad wording)

Special

#22 Post by Special »

Just to be clear, I'm not mad or anything, I know you or anyone else here aren't discouraging community involvement if anything you want more of it, this thread first started off as a question, then turned to a suggestion, once Andrew said cookies were set to "forever" I thought that would be the end of it, but it wasn't, at least on my end, so I was just reporting in on whether it was a bug, maybe a site bug or maybe it's on my end. My comment above about "So it is a conspiracy... What on earth is Andrew's end game here?" was just a joke, not a jab at Andrew.

I don't want to pester Andrew, this isn't a big deal, its a pretty third world problem really, if he's busy with life then a PM won't change that. I'll assume he'll catch this thread eventually and look into this when he finds the time.

joby_toss

#23 Post by joby_toss »

Things i tried when it happened to me:
- made sure i have my cookies set to be kept until they expire, in my internet browser's settings (after i deleted the old site-related ones and logged back in)
- made sure i have the option "log me in automatically each visit" checked when i logged in on the website
- changed my ip address
- flushed my dns
- complained here somewhere
- prayed to Amun-Ra
One of the above worked...

Special

#24 Post by Special »

I've done everyone of those things except pray to Amun-Ra, it seems to be completely random when it happens.

dot

#25 Post by dot »

Special wrote:I've done everyone of those things except pray to Amun-Ra, it seems to be completely random when it happens.
If you are using Firefox, you could try the Biscuit add-on that preserves marked cookies even if you delete "all" cookies. It can even preserve session cookies.

Andrew Lee

#26 Post by Andrew Lee »

No, there's no evil plan to take over the world (mra ha ha ha!)

I think I might have misinterpreted the server settings to set the cookie expiration to forever. I have now set it to "999 days" and verified that the new cookie details are correct.

Let me know if you are still encountering any issues after this latest change.

giulia

#27 Post by giulia »

hi
with firefox i can login in the forum , with chrome Version 61.0.3163.91 i can't even login (tried to delete cookies at least to login once but without luck)

have you noticed the same ?
at least with firefox i can login ,after i have to login again and so on

SYSTEM

#28 Post by SYSTEM »

giulia wrote:hi
with firefox i can login in the forum , with chrome Version 61.0.3163.91 i can't even login (tried to delete cookies at least to login once but without luck)

have you noticed the same ?
at least with firefox i can login ,after i have to login again and so on
I can login without problems with Vivaldi, which is a Chrome fork.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Mike.S.G.

#29 Post by Mike.S.G. »

I'm not sure what's going, this is new for me... I log in and the moment I leave the login page, head to the forums or to post a comment on VLC at TPFC's main page I'm logged out... so I click login again and it starts all over. If there's a different login for posting comments on apps now, sorry, I didn't realize this.

I had to first click on Post Reply here, it asked me to log in to post so I did and it seems to work here, this thread, but if I leave I'm logged out once again - very weird.

Anyway, if someone wants to post this on the VLC app comments, this is what I came here to do, regarding the 7z and zip archives.
IIRC, you can find this page from VLC's "other versions" link from the download page, here it is... -> http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/ - .exe, .zip, .7z downloads, 32-bit & 64-bit, checksums. I've been using this link for years, though it changed slightly, dropping "ftp" in the address???

On Win 8.1 x64 the .7z download creates:
-> C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\vlc
-> 3 files: ml.xspf, vlc-qt-interface.ini, vlcrc

I haven't bothered to search thru the registry, I'm guessing there's some entries.

Midas

#30 Post by Midas »

Check your extensions (if any) and browser settings...

In my case, I was having to relogin after every browser startup -- only after whitelisting TPFC in in my browser's (SeaMonkey) security manager, did my login become sticky.