Why do programs run on win7,8 but not on win10 ?

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
vmars316

Why do programs run on win7,8 but not on win10 ?

#1 Post by vmars316 »

Hello & Thanks ,
What is so different about win10
that programs run on win7,8 but not on win10 ?

Does that mean that to get my pgm(ClipFind) to run on win10 ,
I need to recompile it on win10 ?

Thanks...Vern

webfork

Re: Why do programs run on win7,8 but not on win10 ?

#2 Post by webfork »

that programs run on win7,8 but not on win10 ?
That's a huge question

http://www.howtogeek.com/172768/why-old ... em-anyway/

On the upside, portable software tends to do better between Windows versions (and in emulators).
Does that mean that to get my pgm(ClipFind) to run on win10 , I need to recompile it on win10 ?
That's unlikely to work. Again, try to reach out to the developer or ask an experienced Windows developer to take a look at the code.

vmars316

#3 Post by vmars316 »

Ok , webfork , Thanks..vm

tactictoe

#4 Post by tactictoe »

G'Day

I had also the same problem with some of my software developed under Delphi 7 mainly. Most of the problem where using API from XP to be adapted to windows 10 (64bits OS). As Webfork said it's a huge question. If you still have the source that actually compiled it in the past, I suggest if you can to recompile the source under windows 10 and solve the error the compiler throw at you. Careful thought, if your old software manipulate hardware with its own code and/or force installation of drivers and the like as it might completely bug windows 10. Most of the software using deep part of the kernel of XP are running fine under win vista, 7 and 8 and 8.1 but crash easily under windows 10 in my humble experience. Read this article, under the paragraph 'Buggy or broken software'
http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/the-worst ... 1723311336

If all failed you might like to run these software under VMWare Workstation 12 which is free for personal use.
Home page of VMWare workstation 12 Player: http://www.vmware.com/au/products/player
Download link: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#d ... layer/12_0
Documentation link: http://pubs.vmware.com/player-12-window ... A4965.html

By the way This software can also be portable, :-) ;-)

Good luck, ;-)

vmars316

#5 Post by vmars316 »

Thanks tactictoe ,

I will check this out .

Also , how about the inverse
will programs compiled under win 10 ,
run on win 7 , 8 ?

Thanks...vm

tactictoe

#6 Post by tactictoe »

Sorry to answer this one a little bit late.
If you compile software under windows 10 using specific API of windows 10, NO is my answer; the problem will be reverted due to API specific to that OS. I discovered that compiling program under windows 8.1 64bits works fine for Windows 7 (Most of the time Vista if you keep your code standard) and windows 10. Unfortunately, not everyone like windows 8.1 out of the box also forget backward compatibility with XP when coding with modern RAD and IDE whatever the language (Yes some people still use XP and earlier Window OS as in 2000 and 98).

Academic:
A good habit when compiling software is to control it's output step by step and check if it spits out a warning for instruction compiled for a specific platform. Most of the modern RAD and IDE can even trace when running a software in debugging mode, also a nice place to watch. Golden rule for me: never ever ignore a warning from the compiler, treat them like a breach on the hull of a boat, fix it straight away even the compiled software runs fine at that period of time and it takes you six hours to fix it. Better 6 hours now than revising thousands of lines of code later on the track when the code became a monster and you do not even remember what function/procedure do what. So many good software has been abandon that way. But this is my humble opinion only.

SYSTEM

#7 Post by SYSTEM »

tactictoe wrote:Academic:
A good habit when compiling software is to control it's output step by step and check if it spits out a warning for instruction compiled for a specific platform. Most of the modern RAD and IDE can even trace when running a software in debugging mode, also a nice place to watch. Golden rule for me: never ever ignore a warning from the compiler, treat them like a breach on the hull of a boat, fix it straight away even the compiled software runs fine at that period of time and it takes you six hours to fix it. Better 6 hours now than revising thousands of lines of code later on the track when the code became a monster and you do not even remember what function/procedure do what. So many good software has been abandon that way. But this is my humble opinion only.
I'll add: each compiler warning points at a potential bug. Keeping the piece of software at zero warnings is useful because you will easily notice if there is a new warning. If the piece of software does not work and there is one compiler warning, it's worth a try to fix that warning.

Even if the warning doesn't actually mean a bug and/or if it's unfixable (few months ago I ran into some unfixable warnings when playing with floating point infinite values in C++ code; Microsoft Visual C++ warns if a constant floating-point expression produces an infinite value), you should at least silence the warning.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tactictoe

#8 Post by tactictoe »

Every one's preference here. But true it helps to silence previous warning as long as you are aware of previous warning. Also it should be reserved for special case like the one you mentioned in your post.