Site Ads Use? I Don't See Any.

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
pillbug

Site Ads Use? I Don't See Any.

#1 Post by pillbug »

Hilow all. Been lurking for a while now, thought it time to come onboard and start supporting the site. So I went about enabling scripting and various google ad trackers, etc., but I still don't see anything.

Am I missing something? I'm assuming I should see some ad boxes somewhere, but nothing's showing.

I don't run ad blockers, but I do use NoScript and various non-tracking add-ons, all of which are now pretty much completely disabled for the site.

Would like to support the site somehow but don't know how now.

Any ideas?

SYSTEM

Re: Site Ads Use? I Don't See Any.

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

Hmm, I do see ads if I temporarily disable Adblock Plus.

Try disabling the anti-tracking extensions directly in browser preferences. Maybe their own "disable for this site" features are buggy.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

romulous

#3 Post by romulous »

@pillbug: Do you have a custom hosts file installed? These often block the google ad domains (googlesyndication etc)

romulous

pillbug

#4 Post by pillbug »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Nothing out of the ordinary in hosts and disabling all plugins does nothing. Still blank. I'm not sure, but I thought I saw the ad server contacted, just no display.

So I got off my arse and tested a bit more. I'm using ffox linux mint rafaela version (41.0), btw. palemoon and tor both display the ads with noscript disabled. Looking in about:config I don't really see anything related to google that's also ad related. I did disable all 'loop' tagged entries, but that's just to make sure that the embedded IM/Hello stuff won't work.

It looks like it's more than just this site though. I don't really browse any ad laden sites at all as a rule, so I didn't really notice that apparently I've somehow managed to magically set up my own anti-ad ffox configuration w/o the need for add-ons. Browsing to ars tech, techdirt, /., etc., I don't see any of their ads either. I do see the connection requests, but no ads. Just empty space where they should be.

Looks like I need to go ask for help at mozilla or re-config it from scratch. bleh.