Great brainiac questions for registration - congratulations!

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
uwotm8

Great brainiac questions for registration - congratulations!

#1 Post by uwotm8 »

Which unbelievable cool brainiac has deliberated such great questions for registration: http://i.imgur.com/PnYulv0.png

I really appreciate that great work. How cool can it get? Not cooler.

Some more nice questions:

Which color is the founder's favorite color?
Does he like horses?
What kind of hobbies does he like?
Why is he so cool?

Specular

Re: Great brainiac questions for registration - congratulati

#2 Post by Specular »

It's so cool it's made someone a little frosty ;)

tproli

#3 Post by tproli »

Personally I think it's OK. It shows that the community cares each other.

Otoh, we are all cool here. Can you also feel it? :)

uwotm8

#4 Post by uwotm8 »

Code: Select all

It's so cool it's made someone a little frosty ;)
No, no, it's just a little respect for this dauntless piece of brain work. It's not that easy to find such cool questions.
Personally I think it's OK. It shows that the community cares each other.

Otoh, we are all cool here. Can you also feel it?
Yes, indeed, I could immediately feel some coolness overcoming me when I tried to register here. Not as cool as that cool brainiac of course, but slightly cool.

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

I hope that doesn't make you think I am a narcissist. :D

The questions used to be:

- What is the color of coal?
- What is the color of snow?

etc.

But apparently the penny workers in Bangladesh found that not to be a challenge at all. :mrgreen:

My theory is that the questions need to be something ungoogleable. Even questions like "Who's the first president of United States?" is probably insufficient to stop the mechanical turks.

uwotm8

#6 Post by uwotm8 »

I hope that doesn't make you think I am a narcissist. :D
No, no of course it does not at all. Actually it does make me thing, wow, what an extreme cool guy powered by an extremely big powerful power brain working with 101 % speed in that big head with big space for the big mighty power brain.
The questions used to be:

- What is the color of coal?
- What is the color of snow?

etc.

But apparently the penny workers in Bangladesh found that not to be a challenge at all.
Hmmm, well, I would not have supposed that, would have thought, that is not possible...I do not thing they get so much money there.
My theory is that the questions need to be something ungoogleable.
And may be something not answerable...or may be just display a telephone number so one can call and ask for the answer.

Well, so when the starveling peanuts worker kids in Bangladesh, India, U.S.A and on the nice beaches of Guantanamo Bay are able to make such...bots, it may be will be unlikely (or not) that an image showing the answer(s) (and questions) might work, may be a choice of words with the marked - color, bold, etc. - correct answer or for example three items (cars, houses), which one is red (answer the middle, left) or the biggest or what does the person do on the image or 3 persons (which one is the male) a link to a page showing questions, answers or...how is the weather...

Specular

#7 Post by Specular »

uwotm8 wrote:No, no of course it does not at all. Actually it does make me thing, wow, what an extreme cool guy powered by an extremely big powerful power brain working with 101 % speed in that big head with big space for the big mighty power brain.
There are more effective ways of providing critique than continued sarcasm and mild insults to the site owner.

Must have changed since I registered, as I don't remember registration being a chore. It doesn't take long to skim PortableFreeware.com though and check the copyright at the bottom of the page.

uwotm8

#8 Post by uwotm8 »

Thank you, Specular.
There are more effective ways of providing critique than continued sarcasm and mild insults to the site owner.
Yes, yes, indeed, I completely agree, of course. But I do not think there is such an uncool person on this cool forum who would provide such ineffective critique in the form of sarcasm and mild or even harsh or terrorizing insults to the cool site owner.
Must have changed since I registered, as I don't remember registration being a chore. It doesn't take long to skim PortableFreeware.com though and check the copyright at the bottom of the page.
Yes, yes, that's true and a positive side effect is you have a lot of fun doing it.

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

uwotm8 wrote:
My theory is that the questions need to be something ungoogleable.
And may be something not answerable...or may be just display a telephone number so one can call and ask for the answer.
Just admit it, you are retarded.

The reason why it was implemented @ http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 237#p60237

uwotm8

#10 Post by uwotm8 »

Hey Baas,

Thank you for the link leading to interesting information, I will attentively read it some time later.
Just admit it, you are retarded.
Why do you think so?

Thanks again.

nickoftime

#11 Post by nickoftime »

These forums have always been informative and respectful for as far back as I can remember. I would like to believe that we are above name-calling; this site deserves much better than that.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

uwotm8 wrote:Which unbelievable cool brainiac has deliberated such great questions for registration: http://i.imgur.com/PnYulv0.png
I think you should troll elsewhere.
nickoftime wrote:These forums have always been informative and respectful for as far back as I can remember. I would like to believe that we are above name-calling; this site deserves much better than that.
Exactly: the lack of respectful exchange is exactly what trolls seek. They pick fights about meaningless items in order to draw people into a tedious, ongoing argument.

Please don't feed the trolls.

nickoftime

#13 Post by nickoftime »

Personally, I take offense to people that initiate rude comments, especially when unwarranted as Webfork mentions above. I have been a user of this site for many years; I have witnessed an evolution that is nothing shy of amazing.

With that, I have been and will always be appreciative to Andrew and all of the active contributors. To me, the time and effort that is put into every discussion (research, analysis, etc.) is invaluable. I expect the same level of understanding and respect from new members; there's no room for trolling, name-calling, and personal attacks. If you have something constructive to say, that's great; it's the whole point of this forum. If you come off as condescending, demeaning, or outright mean, there's no room for you here.

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

Let me play the devil's advocate: as much as I respect and uphold the prestige of long term forum members and staff, I really think uwotm8 deserves to be given some leeway here.

After all, in his own caustic way, he's only voicing irritation regarding a nuclear aspect of TPFC's community survivability -- i.e., admission.

Let's not shoot the messenger for being snarky. We could just revel in our moral high ground by magnanimously being less provincial. I, for one, am willing to try -- if anything but for the benefit of local color... :mrgreen:

Andrew Lee

#15 Post by Andrew Lee »

correct answer or for example three items (cars, houses), which one is red (answer the middle, left) or the biggest or what does the person do on the image or 3 persons (which one is the male) a link to a page showing questions, answers or...how is the weather...
The problem is these questions are easy to answer for an actual human being. For an idea of what's going on, read this article:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/inside-ind ... g-economy/

We have tried CAPTCHA before (included with phpBB) and it didn't work. We tried custom Q&A (color of snow, what comes after 2,4,6 etc.) and they didn't work. The method that works so far is the current one.

Imagine you are a worker on a CAPTCHA solving farm. These CAPTCHA gets forwarded to you on a web browser. Three items (cars, houses), which one is red, 1 second. 3 persons (which one is the male), 1 second. Who is the first president of United States, google, first Wikipedia entry, 5 seconds. Who is the founder of TPFC. WTF is TPFC? Skip. These workers go for going for volume. They are not going to waste time on a single riddle.

But for a real human being who is signing up with TPFC, the answer can be found right at the bottom of the TPFC homepage. It would take a couple of seconds of digging, but because the context is available, the problem becomes less difficult.

If there are other suggestions that will resolve this conundrum, I am willing to give it a go. But do realize that we are up against another human being, not a bot. So any proposed solution will quite likely require making a human being do some non-trivial work, which is bound to irritate some people. :D