How about list Developer's name and.....

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
bzl333

#1 Post by bzl333 »

How about instead of little line that says "suggested by" so and so, (which most folks visiting the site prob don't care too much about) instead list the Developer's name (or company name) and also a small flag of their country?

webfork

Re: How about list Developer's name and.....

#2 Post by webfork »

bzl333 wrote:instead of that little line that says "suggested by"
You're right that it doesn't actually do anything, but it's important because it goes to appreciating the volunteer nature of the site.

I think the only issue with including the Dev/Company name is that the entries might be getting a bit cluttered, but I imagine it could be included an optional space in the entry creation/edit view, then have it show up when you go to a full entry (hidden until someone goes to "permalink"). Certainly if tproli or Andrew want to implement that it should be optional, since company/dev name isn't always obvious.
bzl333 wrote:btw, i like your 'Projects Donated to' line in your sig. Is it ok if i add a line like that too? maybe it'll catch on around the internet and some of this stuff will get funded
Feel free -- and yes, that would be wonderful. I'm both bragging that I donated and making up for the fact that I'm not contributing as much to portablefreeware because I'm working all the time.

bzl333

#3 Post by bzl333 »

[Moderator note - merging this post with the other thread on this topic]

----

i think the name of the publisher should be shown somewhere (maybe next to program version number would make sense?) and the link goes either to a search results of all their programs on TPFC or their website.

Specular

Re: Suggestion of new field: "Release Date"

#4 Post by Specular »

bzl333 wrote:i think the name of the publisher should be shown somewhere (maybe next to program version number would make sense?) and the link goes either to a search results of all their programs on TPFC or their website.
At first it sounds like a pretty good idea, but there's the trouble of displaying projects with multiple contributors, such as OSS. I could see it being useful for say a dev like Skwire with a site full of apps, but there are few examples like that in the database afaik.

bzl333

#5 Post by bzl333 »

Specular wrote:
bzl333 wrote:i think the name of the publisher should be shown somewhere (maybe next to program version number would make sense?) and the link goes either to a search results of all their programs on TPFC or their website.
At first it sounds like a pretty good idea, but there's the trouble of displaying projects with multiple contributors, such as OSS. I could see it being useful for say a dev like Skwire with a site full of apps, but there are few examples like that in the database afaik.
how many apps like OSS are there though?

would be nice if i'm looking at an app by Skwire or Nirsoft and i think about another of their apps that i had been considering dl'ing, if i can quickly see all their apps on TPFC with one click. i thin it would be an upgrade to site usability.

Specular

#6 Post by Specular »

bzl333 wrote:how many apps like OSS are there though?
A large percentage of apps are open source and can have multiple contributors. It could be displayed under the main repository name I suppose, if there isn't a main author (HexChat's repo is under 'HexChat' for example, although it's often TingPing that has been contributing most for a while).
bzl333 wrote:would be nice if i'm looking at an app by Skwire or Nirsoft and i think about another of their apps that i had been considering dl'ing, if i can quickly see all their apps on TPFC with one click.
For such authors it would be handy, although there's also their own sites which list their software.

Checker

#7 Post by Checker »

bzl333 wrote:would be nice if i'm looking at an app by Skwire or Nirsoft and i think about another of their apps that i had been considering dl'ing, if i can quickly see all their apps on TPFC with one click. i thin it would be an upgrade to site usability.
That's why I made an overview for both of them :wink:

NirSoft : http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =4&t=10706
Skwire Empire: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =4&t=21237

Midas

Re: How about list Developer's name and.....

#8 Post by Midas »

At least in the forums, it is possible to search by the developer web domain string for almost the same effect... :idea: