Suggestion -- new field: "Release Date" [added!]

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Specular

Re: Suggestion of new field: "Release Date"

#61 Post by Specular »

Yeah, still a fan of the single speech bubble for comments and double bubbles for forum topic. They're not that dissimilar, with both discussing the entry. Imo the best combo seen so far was the previous version with the cog.

Having seen the Font Awesome web icons and the Entypo I lean more towards the former as it's sharper and more even in shape at that smaller size (always been a fan of Entypo for other things though, used it for plenty of things :)).
tproli wrote:You can flip icons with CSS3
Transforms to the rescue

tproli

#62 Post by tproli »

My preview is done using images and magic wand to remove the background so don't judge its sharpness :)

Midas

#63 Post by Midas »

Great! I really thought you'd like the newspaper icon better -- but I guess not being a filled icon was the impeding factor here, right? :)

A big plus for the new icons is that they scale really well with text on Firefox (try with CTRL+Mouse Wheel)...

Andrew Lee

#64 Post by Andrew Lee »

@tproli: I have updated the test site to use the Entypo font, so pls check it out.

But I am unable to find the icon for "What's New", so I am using "icon-publish" as a placeholder.

You can take a look at the entire Entypo font I am using here.

Midas

#65 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote:But I am unable to find the icon for "What's New", so I am using "icon-publish" as a placeholder.
  • After giving it a look, may I suggest "icon-leaf" for that effect?
Specular wrote:I'll add though that the 'Download' link often represents both 32 and 64 bit links, mostly when a dedicated 64-bit URL can't be added due to its changing format, so it may give the misleading impression of being a 32-bit only download with the new text.
  • The issue Specular raised carries some water, so to speak; as I made the original proposal, I'm worried it will make entries less straightforward for newcomers... :?

tproli

#66 Post by tproli »

Great, I like it :) As I wrote, the fontawesome version was great too.

> But I am unable to find the icon for "What's New"
It is "icon-shareable", available on the Entypo tpfc test page too.

Btw, the great thing about fontello.com that you can collect icons from several fonts and download as a single font, with only the characters you need. So you are not limited to only one font family or you don't need to include two or more fonts if you need more characters. Selections can be imported later if you decide to modify your stack.

Icons have "opacity: 0.8;", that should be removed I guess (and adjust color afterwards). No idea why it is there :)

@Midas
Download says "Download" if there's only 32-bit version, Andrew fixed that earlier.

Midas

#67 Post by Midas »

All OK, then. :)

Another suggestion for what's new, more or less in line with my original post, would be "icon-light-up"...

tproli

#68 Post by tproli »

Just tried all the available characters but there was no AHA moment :)

icon-light-up seems too thin to me:
icon-light-up
icon-light-up
Some not-so-bads:
- icon-signal
- icon-rss
- icon-leaf
- icon-star
- icon-cloud-thunder
- icon-arrows-ccw
- icon-retweet
- icon-air
- icon-back-in-time (though it points backward)
Attachments
whatsnew variations
whatsnew variations

Specular

#69 Post by Specular »

[My post for the past hour wasn't submitting correctly due to two unicode icon characters in the text, so I had to remove the icons originally within the parenthesis]

There are two versions of Entypo I've used in the past with the older version containing a solid light bulb icon (). The current one being used seems to contain the outlined version (), however when pasting the bulb icon from the original Entypo character map (seen in parenthesis in the first sentence above) it displays a solid bulb, which makes me wonder if both versions exist in the font set or if Windows is using some other font to display it (some other OS feedback would be useful).

Below I've collected all the suggested What's New icons into screenshots for reference, using the Inspect Element tool to show how each would look in situ. Personally I'm fond of the solid bulb and info circle. The megaphone might also be a new one to consider.

Bulb:

Cog:

Info:

Leaf:

Sharable:

Light up:

Megaphone:

Publish (existing placeholder):

Midas

#70 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:- icon-back-in-time (though it points backward)
  • I liked this one; maybe you can flip it with your previous solution... :o

@Specular: is that why leaf is upside down in your cap?

Specular

#71 Post by Specular »

Midas wrote:
tproli wrote:- icon-back-in-time (though it points backward)
  • I liked this one; maybe you can flip it with your previous solution... :o
I tried this, looks quite jaggy though :? May look better on other browsers. The non-clock Clockwise is also available.

Image Image
Midas wrote:@Specular: is that why leaf is upside down in your cap?[/list]
I was copying mostly from the original Entypo character map, seen in my above post. It seems to contain alternate versions of some characters, perhaps due to being different releases (or maybe even native Windows fallback).

Some other screencaps:

List add (scaled to 115% font-size):

Midas

#72 Post by Midas »

"List add" seems to properly convey the desired meaning, I guess -- it just doesn't appear to fit well with the downward triangle... :(

tproli

#73 Post by tproli »

Yep, many Specular's chars look different. I like the circular "i", that's the closes to its meaning, unfortunately it is used in the top-right corner too (but that could be changed).

Flipped back-in-time is blurry here too (Slimjet):
icon-back-in-time-flipped.png
And now for something completely different:
whatsnew.png
It's still about 130px narrower altogether, compared with the iconless links row. It looks more human to me, right blend of icons & text links :)

Specular

#74 Post by Specular »

Midas wrote:"List add" seems to properly convey the desired meaning, I guess -- it just doesn't appear to fit well with the downward triangle... :(
That can easily be changed with CSS:

tproli wrote:And now for something completely different:
whatsnew.png
It's still about 130px narrower altogether, compared with the iconless links row.
Radical :P TBH there's so much space saved already it could probably be included as plain text if there's no consensus on which icon to pick.

Midas

#75 Post by Midas »

Suits me, at least...