New designs for TPFC by tproli

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Checker

Re: New designs for TPFC by tproli

#466 Post by Checker »

@Andrew Lee: Thanks for explanation :!:

BTW: Please add a selectable entry for "Win10" at "System Requirements:" :wink:

Andrew Lee

#467 Post by Andrew Lee »

I think it happened because a ton of entries became public at once. Looks like DarkShadow and TP109 achieved rank 5, which brought a lot of entries to the ten point threshold.
I don't think that's what happened. I didn't check further back, but the DB backup on 2015-08-23 shows that both of them are already rank 5. Yet the glitch happened between 2015-08-29 and 2015-08-30. The exact time is "2015-08-29 22:20:01".

Since the maintenance job runs every 5 mins, I think it is quite probable that it was updated by the job. But I can't identify anything in the code that's making it do so, and after restoring the "display_order" and "status" fields, rerunning the job does not reproduce the glitch.

Checker

#468 Post by Checker »

@Andrew Lee: Please add a selectable entry for "Win10" at "System Requirements:" :wink:
Attachments
System requirements.png

Andrew Lee

#469 Post by Andrew Lee »

@Checker: Will get to it by the end of today! Apologies for missing on your original request.

EDIT: All done now.

Checker

#470 Post by Checker »

Andrew Lee wrote:@Checker: Will get to it by the end of today! Apologies for missing on your original request.

EDIT: All done now.
Thanks Image

billon

#471 Post by billon »

When changelog contains symbols which used in HTML tags, it displayed incorrectly, see, for example, changelog for Advanced Renamer.

I am Baas

#472 Post by I am Baas »

billon wrote:When changelog contains symbols which used in HTML tags, it displayed incorrectly, see, for example, changelog for Advanced Renamer.
That is an odd behavior. I just tried to change the entry myself... :roll:

Andrew Lee

#473 Post by Andrew Lee »

When changelog contains symbols which used in HTML tags, it displayed incorrectly, see, for example, changelog for Advanced Renamer.
This seems to be a bug that I have fixed. Hopefully I didn't break any other display side logic. :roll:

HairyPorter

Re: Reverse TPFC PageTitle Sequence for Better Visibility

#474 Post by HairyPorter »

Currently, all TPFC pages (software listings & forum page titles) are in the following formats:-
  • The Portable Freeware Collection - <Software Title>
  • The Portable Freeware Collection • View forum - <Forum Title>
  • The Portable Freeware Collection • View topic - <Topic Title>
As such, when 1 or more TPFC webpage is opened in the browser, one can only see the front portion of the respective webpage titles on the tab names & history listings. And all of them are displayed as: "The Portable Fre..." (or similar, depending on how open tabs there are). To view what the tab or history listing represents, one has to mouseover each & every tab/listing.

Sample screenshot below. (Note: I'm using a dark theme, which has no impact on the issue being highlighted here.)
PortableFreewareCom-WebpgTitle-08Jan17.png
Suggestion: Is it possible that TPFC's PageTitle's sequence be reversed, as well as the format standardized & stripped of unnecessary text ?

Eg 1.
  • <Software Title> - The Portable Freeware Collection
  • <Forum Title> - The Portable Freeware Collection
  • <Topic Title> - The Portable Freeware Collection
Eg 2.
  • <Software Title> - portablefreeware.com
  • <Forum Title> - portablefreeware.com
  • <Topic Title> - portablefreeware.com
Personally, I refer Eg. 2, although Eg 1 is fine as well. Thanks !

Andrew Lee

#475 Post by Andrew Lee »

Suggestion: Is it possible that TPFC's PageTitle's sequence be reversed, as well as the format standardized & stripped of unnecessary text ?
The "Software title" bit is easier to do, since that is TPFC code. But the other two will require touching phpBB code, which is a little harder to tell. If there are no objections, I will get cracking on it ASAP.

[EDIT] Turned out to be quite straight forward code-wise, so changes have been implemented.

SYSTEM

#476 Post by SYSTEM »

Andrew Lee wrote:
The "Software title" bit is easier to do, since that is TPFC code. But the other two will require touching phpBB code, which is a little harder to tell. If there are no objections, I will get cracking on it ASAP.

[EDIT] Turned out to be quite straight forward code-wise, so changes have been implemented.
Thank you. :) It's indeed easier to distinguish TPFC tabs now.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

HairyPorter

#477 Post by HairyPorter »

Andrew Lee wrote:The "Software title" bit is easier to do, since that is TPFC code. But the other two will require touching phpBB code, which is a little harder to tell. If there are no objections, I will get cracking on it ASAP.
Thanks Andrew for the rapid tweak ! TPFC's various software pages are now easy to differentiate on browser tabs & history listings.

On the other hand, the implementation seems partial for TPFC's forum pages, which are now displayed as follows on browser tabs & history listings:-
  • View forum - <Forum Title> • The Portable Freeware Collection
  • View topic - <Topic Title> • The Portable Freeware Collection
Therefore, if you have many TPFC forum-related pages open, then the browser tabs all show "View foru" & "View topi", making them still difficult to differentiate. Is it not possible to tweak phpBB code to place the title right in front, like the following ?
  • <Forum Title> - View forum • The Portable Freeware Collection
  • <Topic Title> - View topic • The Portable Freeware Collection
(I prefer that "View forum" & "View topic" be omitted, but I suppose there could be some technical reasons to deliberately retain them.)

shnbwmn

#478 Post by shnbwmn »

@HairyPorter

Thank you for making these suggestions, and so clearly too. I think it's something a lot of people (myself included) may have at some point been annoyed by, however I for one never thought of making a post about it. Thanks again :)

Andrew Lee

#479 Post by Andrew Lee »

HairyPorter wrote:Therefore, if you have many TPFC forum-related pages open, then the browser tabs all show "View foru" & "View topi", making them still difficult to differentiate. Is it not possible to tweak phpBB code to place the title right in front, like the following?
Unfortunately, this is much harder to change. The previous change was easy because it is part of the phpBB templating system (aka "styles"), which is basically a HTML file.

However, for some reason, the string "View forum - <Forum Title>" is constructed by phpBB code and passed as an atomic unit into the templating system. To make matter worse, these are located in different parts of the code (for "View forum" and "View topic").

I have always avoided changing the phpBB code because it makes applying upgrades harder.

If they had passed two strings into the templating system 1) "View XXX" 2) "<Forum Title>", the change would have been trivial.

HairyPorter

#480 Post by HairyPorter »

Andrew Lee wrote:However, for some reason, the string "View forum - <Forum Title>" is constructed by phpBB code and passed as an atomic unit into the templating system. To make matter worse, these are located in different parts of the code (for "View forum" and "View topic"). I have always avoided changing the phpBB code because it makes applying upgrades harder.
Thanks for the explanation. Is TPFC forum's PageTitle customization constraint due to some limitations of the phpBB code version being used by TPFC ?

I went to take a look at several phpBB-powered forums & it appears that for the majority, their PageTitles are all structured in this format: "<Forum (or Topic) Title> - Forum's Name". Here are a few examples for browsing reference: MozillaZine, EasyList Forum, Ars Technica OpenForum, XYplorer Beta Club

As such, over here at TPFC Forum, is it possible to remove the "View forum" & "View topic" sub-string, so that the PageTitle becomes as follows ?
  • <Forum Title> - The Portable Freeware Collection Forum
  • <Topic Title> - The Portable Freeware Collection Forum

The above is the same as what I suggested earlier in Eg. 1, except that you might want to append "Forum" to "The Portable Freeware Collection" to better distinguish these pages from TPFC's software pages, if desired.

This topic is often mentioned with solutions at the phpBB Support Forum itself, while a method is also posted in its Knowledge Base documentation -- see below. None mentioned any incompatibility with phpBB code version upgrades. However, if the change is non-trivial & would negatively impact TPFC Forum's compatibility with future upgrades, then nevermind. Thanks for investigating the issue !