New designs for TPFC by tproli

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
tproli

Re: New designs for TPFC by tproli

#421 Post by tproli »

Yes, that could be a way but I'm afraid that would negatively affect usability. But I'm not against it.

Midas

#422 Post by Midas »

For one, it would be a killer for accessibility -- I'm thinking of screen-readers here... :idea:

bzl333

#423 Post by bzl333 »

Wow! the new site format is excellent. i really like that from the homepage "latest entries" you quickly see a screenshot the program and then make it disappear, and same thing with the comments too. Excellent design - maybe its just me but i haven't seen similar design on other websites yet. Also i like the fact that i can just hover over a link to the program author's website and really see what it is instead of an TPFC link (no offense).

a few suggestions or wishes:

for the forum would be great if i hover over a thread i can see the details of the first post in a popup, as is common on many other sites. this saves a lot of time when scanning for interesting threads.

for the regular site, would be good if there were separate streams for "newly updated programs" vs. "new programs just added to the database". also there should be some kind of rewards for people that find new programs to add to the database even if its only like a little total that shows up in their profile info on the left - like 524 posts, member since 2010-3-30, programs contributed:45, etc etc

(i haven't contributed any yet btw - just saying though, it would be good to know who your best contributors are and to give others some incentive to help)

also, perhaps a thread to just list a program that might be looked at for possible inclusion?
some of us dont have the knowledge or time to test a program but would like to bring something to your experts' attention and then if its not portable there can be a list thats easy to look over - at least we then know you're aware of a program. typically if we start a thread the reactions are sometimes a little rude if the program turns out to be not true portable and some of us (myself) really not interested in dealing with that nonsense.

SYSTEM

#424 Post by SYSTEM »

bzl333, thanks for the suggestions.
bzl333 wrote: for the regular site, would be good if there were separate streams for "newly updated programs" vs. "new programs just added to the database".
Stream for programs just added to the database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?rt=n
bzl333 wrote: also there should be some kind of rewards for people that find new programs to add to the database even if its only like a little total that shows up in their profile info on the left - like 524 posts, member since 2010-3-30, programs contributed:45, etc etc
There is already a ranking system. Each member has a rank (from 0 to 5) that depends on the number of forum posts and the number of submitted applications. Non-zero rank gives the member access to edit the database and higher ranks give more power when voting about publicity of database entries or removal of comments.

I guess you'd want ranks to be more visible on the website. (Also, I find that the maximum rank should be harder to get - either by adding more ranks or increasing the requirements for existing ones.)
bzl333 wrote: also, perhaps a thread to just list a program that might be looked at for possible inclusion?
some of us dont have the knowledge or time to test a program but would like to bring something to your experts' attention and then if its not portable there can be a list thats easy to look over - at least we then know you're aware of a program. typically if we start a thread the reactions are sometimes a little rude if the program turns out to be not true portable and some of us (myself) really not interested in dealing with that nonsense.
Feel free to create such a thread.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tproli

#425 Post by tproli »

The 404 page seems not loading when there's a 404 error.

Would it be hard to create "nice URLs"? I mean, instead of
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=132

there could be something like
http://www.portablefreeware.com/firefoxportable

Don't know if there is a need for it.

bzl333

#426 Post by bzl333 »

SYSTEM wrote:bzl333, thanks for the suggestions.
bzl333 wrote: for the regular site, would be good if there were separate streams for "newly updated programs" vs. "new programs just added to the database".
Stream for programs just added to the database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?rt=n
bzl333 wrote: also there should be some kind of rewards for people that find new programs to add to the database even if its only like a little total that shows up in their profile info on the left - like 524 posts, member since 2010-3-30, programs contributed:45, etc etc
There is already a ranking system. Each member has a rank (from 0 to 5) that depends on the number of forum posts and the number of submitted applications. Non-zero rank gives the member access to edit the database and higher ranks give more power when voting about publicity of database entries or removal of comments.

I guess you'd want ranks to be more visible on the website. (Also, I find that the maximum rank should be harder to get - either by adding more ranks or increasing the requirements for existing ones.)
bzl333 wrote: also, perhaps a thread to just list a program that might be looked at for possible inclusion?
Feel free to create such a thread.
good points.

i think i change my mind on the last one though - i think there should just be like a box on the lower left or right of every webpage to submit the website of the app that should be looked at for inclusion. i dont think people want to read thru a thread. same thing for .NET dependent portable apps. then the folks on here who like testing apps for portability can be alerted to possible new apps instead of wading thru threads. also most folks that visit any site don't want to bother with registering but they might cut and paste a URL for you. perhaps the developer might also. very quick way to communicate with the site.

Andrew Lee

#427 Post by Andrew Lee »

The 404 page seems not loading when there's a 404 error.
Fixed!

tproli

#428 Post by tproli »

Thanks!

joby_toss

#429 Post by joby_toss »

Is there a way I can get notified when my username is mentioned anywhere in the comments (not in the forums).

There are situations where an answer is necessary from my part, and I'm sure many of us were in this situation (someone starts his comment with @username:, but username has no idea he has to reply back because he doesn't check the comments often enough, or the comment is made on an older app and username might seem rude :) ).

Andrew Lee

#430 Post by Andrew Lee »

Is there a way I can get notified when my username is mentioned anywhere in the comments (not in the forums).
Possible solutions:

Use a feedreader like Feed Notifier that supports keyword filtering to monitor the comments feed.

Alternatively, use a web service like Feed Rinse that creates a new feed containing only the desired keywords.

joby_toss

#431 Post by joby_toss »

Ok. I use NFReader and it has a search feature. But I don't know how it works (searches the news title or the body). Could anyone mention my username in a test message that we'll delete afterwards? In Multi Commander's entry, for example? Thanks!

SYSTEM

#432 Post by SYSTEM »

Done.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

joby_toss

#433 Post by joby_toss »

Thank you very much!
You can delete it now.
NFReader searches the news title as well as the body, so my problem is solved now.

Edit: Opera can also do this. Great! ;)

joby_toss

#434 Post by joby_toss »

Another thing: there was a comment in Too Long Paths Detector's comments section that I believed was spam.
The user was "P.ath T.oo L.ong" and the message was this:
Nice utility! But what next should we do with these long named files? You are able to delete, copy, move and rename files and folders with "destination path too long" error using our great P.ath T.oo L.ong ™ P.RO software. You can try and buy it here h.ttp://www.path.toolong.com
I hit the Delete button thinking I will have to ask the help of another forumer, ranked 5, to permanently remove that comment. But the comment disappeared from my voting alone.
Wasn't a comment supposed to be deleted by 2 votes? I thought I, alone, can only remove my comments. Or maybe I missed that memo... :oops:

P.S. I added those periods in the message so it would be hard to find references through search engines.

I am Baas

#435 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote:Wasn't a comment supposed to be deleted by 2 votes? I thought I, alone, can only remove my comments. Or maybe I missed that memo... :oops:
Still works that way. Apparantly, I was the first one to have pushed that button... the bin icon was supposed to change color (red) but I did not check if it did. Thanks for removing P.ath T.oo L.ong spam, joby_toss.

@moderator
Please delete user Path T.oo L.ong.