New designs for TPFC by tproli

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Andrew Lee

New designs for TPFC by tproli

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

tproli has sent me two new designs for TPFC:

http://rolandtoth.hu/pic/pfc-facelift-01.png
http://rolandtoth.hu/pic/pfc-facelift-02.png

This started from his suggestion to display the screenshot inline when clicking on the "Screenshot" link. But he has taken the initiative to suggest some new designs for the TPFC site.

Which of the two designs do you like better?

tproli

Re: New designs for TPFC by tproli

#2 Post by tproli »

Plus suggestions are welcome.

freakazoid

#3 Post by freakazoid »

Nice work, tproli! It's time to bring TPFC into the 21st century :)

I like #1 better. Though, I'm not really a fan of the logo or the "New" / "Updated" icons.

For the icons, I'd prefer straight-out CSS. Perhaps something like Twitter's buttons would do the trick?
http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/bas ... ml#buttons
is it stealth? ;)

tproli

#4 Post by tproli »

Thanks. Here is a new "update" icon:

It was like that earlier then I updated to the red version. I like this one too.
Last edited by tproli on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firewrath

#5 Post by Firewrath »

Well, I'll be the first to say it.
"Change. Boo." :P
I'm like that, the site works how it is, sooo yeah. ^-^;;

Otherwise, Nice work on the new designs. ^-^;

Anyways.
Of the two, I like the looks of #1 better, the little side bar on each entry is rather nice though.

As for the logo, I like the current one, imo not 'everything' has to be changed, but the icons, I'm 50/50 about. I like the stamp look to the new ones, though they should probably have different colors instead of both being red.
Although freakazoid's idea of the CSS buttons would probably look pretty good too, the 'Primary' and 'Danger' being a nice contrast and fits with the current setup and colors of the site.

Also, the 'Category' link(s) might need to be moved, specially since Andrew added the option to have secondary categories to each entry, having them all in the same line as the other links might get a bit confusing.

...And I still think Almost everything but the program description should be hidden just to have more 'room' on the screen. :P
Maybe a new 'Information' link that when you click on it, it pops down with all the extract/install, setting, unicode /etc details, like the new screenshot window.
(I personally think that 'Stealth' and 'System Requirements' are all that are Needed in a program description, the rest can be hidden until you have enough interest in a program to check for more information.)

tproli

#6 Post by tproli »

The underlying html is fairly outdated, that's why I offered to convert it more up-to-date. Perhaps there won't be a significant speed up but the the site would be easier to maintain.

The "Category" problem is a good catch. Here is one solution:
...And I still think Almost everything but the program description should be hidden just to have more 'room' on the screen.
I tried to keep the current simple layout, only making things more evident and understandable. I like the current "show almost everything" concept, you can quickly scan the details. I'm open for new ideas - but convince Andrew first :)
Last edited by tproli on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firewrath

#7 Post by Firewrath »

I don't Really mind the site being updated, in the pictures everything seems to be staying in the same place and all, so it's good. ^-^
I wanted to whine about it changing 'just to'. :P

tproli wrote: The "Category" problem is a good catch. Here is one solution:
I like that, it looks rather fitting.

tproli wrote: I like the current "show almost everything" concept, you can quickly scan the details. I'm open for new ideas - but convince Andrew first :)
Yeah, I like it for that reason too, but I'd like to see more entries over info for programs I wont use. It could be hidden in a hover-box too, that way if you wanted to see such info, you just mouse-over the link, but most of those are a pain to adjust per browser. -_-

Though I honestly don't think I'll convince anyone really. :P
I just throw the idea up every once in a while to see if anyone has an opinion, so far no one else has really agreed with it. :P
Just to show where I'm coming from though, I don't even check the main list anymore, I scroll right down to look over the 'Recent updates' sidebar. ^-^

tproli

#8 Post by tproli »

I don't even check the main list anymore, I scroll right down to look over the 'Recent updates' sidebar. ^-^
I rarely go to the Home page, I use PFC from Google Reader (RSS) :)

Lupo73

#9 Post by Lupo73 »

Great new project tproli! :D

I like the first design too.. few notes:
- the strong and interrupted line of the footer may needs to be adapted for the header style (maybe a thinner line? a different background?)
- I like the idea of move categories after description, even if I think all categories may be considered of the same importance (removing the style separation between main and secondary categories)
- I prefer the stamp-like images to report new/update apps (maybe with desaturated colors, red for new and green for update)
- stars may have a few more margins on left and right and a fixed vertical alignment.. or an alternative proposal: a new Popularity line after categories?
- I prefer also current solution with all information visible.. and what about an always visible screenshot preview (with fixed size) instead of Screenshot link? It could means a more complete and colorful form of each app, still allowing to click the preview to open the screenshot in full size (in a new browser tab or maybe in a lightbox?)
- personally I also thought the idea of keep the app icon before app name (as current inline solution) and use that left box to include the screenshot preview.. but maybe it means too content for the visible form, that confuse the user.. what do you think?
- I think the Show link is not visible, in particular for new users.. maybe it could be replaced with a clickable and separated "What's new?"
- maybe page links could be a few bigger and grey button-like, to be easily clickable and following the color/style of the header (@tproli: you know the style I have in mind :roll: )
- an extra request: is it not possible to integrate the forum with this style? (embedding it between the header and the footer)

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

In a nutshell: I prefer the first option. Suggestion: The 'Pages ...' line from the bottom should also be present below the header. Will post more as needed. Thanks for all your work.

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

My main complaint with the current design would be that I'd like more apps displayed on one page.
The two proposed designs allow 2 apps/page as far as I can see, so I have to say NO to both.
I like the second one proposed by tproli, but with 10 apps per page or more...

tproli

#12 Post by tproli »

The two proposed designs allow 2 apps/page as far as I can see
Yes, it looks so but that's not the case. There are only two listed because all would look the same so no need to show more. Sorry for the inconvenience :)

In fact each app block is about the same height as on the live site. On wider screens it could be lower as the content would be flexible in width.

There could be a "View" switch on top of the list like "Compact view" and "Full view", and that would toggle description only and full details. But I guess it's something for the finishing touches :)

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:I like the second one proposed by tproli, but with 10 apps per page or more...
To avoid small screen fatigue (mobile/netbook, anyone?), that would better be implemented as an option (5, 10, 20, 40, 80... items per page).

stevegutry

#14 Post by stevegutry »

Midas wrote:To avoid small screen fatigue (mobile/netbook, anyone?), that would better be implemented as an option (5, 10, 20, 40, 80... items per page).
I also prefer no. 1 and I would rather have the choice of items as suggested by Midas.

guinness

#15 Post by guinness »

Number 1.