TPFC Database

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
SYSTEM

Re: TPFC Database

#61 Post by SYSTEM »

Andrew Lee wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:47 am
The display shows the minimum width allowed if you shrink the browser window; I find that's still overly broad. Online notices should be no larger than a regular newspaper column, i.e., something closer to the dimensions of the site sidebar -- or so sayeth the experts...
@tproli: if you are reading this, could you help me out here? While the request sounds rather easy to implement, it is surprisingly difficult for a backend guy like myself!

A little background: tproli was the member who upgraded the previous clunky design of this website with his CSS wizardry a few years back. So no more tables and hardcoded display attributes, everything is marked up by CSS classes.

While I could probably brute-force my way through on this, I have a feeling it will break tproli's design intent in a major way. So I would really like tproli's comment on this before I proceed. Thanks!
Can't you just wrap the message into a <div> and specify max-width with CSS?
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tproli

#62 Post by tproli »

Andrew Lee wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:47 am @tproli: if you are reading this, could you help me out here?
@Andrew

You don't need any approval from me to adjust the design :) Do whatever you think looks/works better. Especially that I'm very rarely onboard here.

I like @Midas' suggestion in terms of readability but from the design POV I'm not entirely sold, but perhaps it's just me. I also tried a two-column layout (inside the left column) but that didn't look too nice.

To make the block narrower, you could introduce a new reusable "centered-block" CSS class, and use such rules:

Code: Select all

.centered-block {
    max-width: 640px;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
}
Then apply it to the parent div (or create a new wrapper div as @SYSTEM suggested.

Alternatively, you could perhaps just put some linebreaks (<br/>) after each sentence in the paraghaps, that would be a quick and easy fix. Perhaps with additional headlines (h2) to improve legibility:

http://pic.rolandtoth.hu/pfc-facelift/p ... -added.png

Specular

#63 Post by Specular »

I think tproli's linked mockup suits the existing design well, being left-aligned in keeping with the other elements. The headings help it become more readable and the max line width is still preserved as requested.

Midas

#64 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote: I like @Midas' suggestion in terms of readability but from the design POV I'm not entirely sold, but perhaps it's just me.
The age old disagreement between the graphic department and the copywriters rears it's head again -- I confess, I am a disciple of Nielsen (see his point 8) and Tufte. :lol:

I also believe one can not be too liberal with white space on a page, online or not.

Andrew Lee

#65 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks to tproli, Specular and Midas for your feedback!

I will work on it and come out with a better version soon...

Andrew Lee

#66 Post by Andrew Lee »

These are the modifications I made:

1) Left-align, max width: 85%.

Reasons:
- Center-alignment didn't gel well with the rest of the site.
- Setting a max width using pixels didn't look right on a very highres monitor (eg. 4K).

2) Separated into sections, as suggested by tproli.

You can check out the latest version here:

https://www.portablefreeware.com/postadd.php?id=2869

Specular

#67 Post by Specular »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:47 pm These are the modifications I made:

You can check out the latest version here:

https://www.portablefreeware.com/postadd.php?id=2869
Looking good imo :)

Btw small typo: You are strongly encourage to do so

Andrew Lee

#68 Post by Andrew Lee »

Specular wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:20 pm Btw small typo: You are strongly encourage to do so
Fixed. Thanks!

vevy

#69 Post by vevy »

1. About the new read block of text:
I think a short (one sentence) sum-up of the paragraph is more likely to be read, which should be the first goal. You can have the paragrpah details in and indented text after or something. Think of the simplified privacy policies that advocates recommend.

2. About the post-adding "Notify others". We can take a page from the book of advertisers and annoying companies and make it something like this:

|=====      | 50% complete!

[✅]Tool Added!
[    ] Notify others to upvote! Create a thread here.

portackager

#70 Post by portackager »

Dang what blast from the past. I see a lot old users are still active here. I'm glad this website and portableapps.com are still going strong. Keep up the great work!

webfork

#71 Post by webfork »

portackager wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:43 am Dang what blast from the past. I see a lot old users are still active here. I'm glad this website and portableapps.com are still going strong. Keep up the great work!
Thanks -- good to see you too :)

vevy

#72 Post by vevy »

The hidden entries need proper cleaning.

It shouldn't contain obvious mistakes. For example,
- I was going to upvote "Essential PIM" hidden entry, but decided to check first, and it is just a duplicate of the actual entry. This should be totally removed, not just hidden. It is just pollution, not something to be decided on.

- The obvious spam and "sdrttydfgbf" entries. If an app has a minuscule chance of belonging, let the users decide. Otherwise, prune it.

billon

#73 Post by billon »

was discussed already somewhere, maybe even in this topic
when you add new entry, instead of creating it, just use already existed garbage one, i do that way
"sdrttydfgbf" and other nonsense is just vandalised by some user, orca or rudy5

vevy

#74 Post by vevy »

OK, but leaving them makes navigating the private entries more difficult. The question could be: why are we keeping them in the first place?

Andrew Lee

#75 Post by Andrew Lee »

vevy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:37 pm OK, but leaving them makes navigating the private entries more difficult. The question could be: why are we keeping them in the first place?
I guess it's because there was never any mechanism provided for deleting private entries (short of me doing it at the db backend), and also never any thought of micro-managing private entries.

The idea of private entries was a private space for users to add whatever crap they want . If they wish for certain entries to be made public, they should post to the submissions forum. So I could add a whole bunch of stuff to my private stream if I choose to (and list them using "[Andrew Lee]" in the search bar) without ever getting any of them promoted to "public" status.

So when I am looking to review stuff, I am always looking in the submissions forum. I only search for private entries when I am adding a new program and trying to determine if it already exists in the database or forum.