TPFC Database

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
bitcoin

Re: TPFC Database

#46 Post by bitcoin »

webfork wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:52 pm Second: billon does a lot of hard work here on entries and we appreciate his effort. That takes a lot of time and energy so if he takes entry status seriously, I certainly understand.
agree

thanks for the few people who do about 99% of the work on here - Webfork, Billon and i think System

webfork

#47 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:48 pm thanks for the few people who do about 99% of the work on here - Webfork, Billon and i think System
I'd say it's a lot of people putting in a lot of work over a lot of years -- there's a lot of credit (and blame) to go around :) Over the billon in particular has put in a ton of work over the last few years to keep database up-to-date and active, which is is huge as its kind of the pulse of the site. Just because of my schedule, it's not something I could take over from him.

billon

#48 Post by billon »

webfork

#49 Post by webfork »

billon wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:37 am nobody cares anyway
User has been contacted.

Andrew Lee

#50 Post by Andrew Lee »

webfork has suggested in a PM to add something that would remind the user to post to the forum after adding an entry. Actually, his exact words were:
Something like 'please post in forums before submitting a program to the database' that a user has to click through to get to the Add view?' It might help.
But I think it makes more sense to post to the forum after adding an entry, instead of before, because then you wouldn't have the link to the entry, so you have to make a dummy post first, post an entry, then come back and edit the dummy post, which is all kind of messy.

I am thinking maybe add a bold red reminder near the "Submit" button to post to the "Submissions" forum (with a hyperlink to it). IMHO, that should be the best place to place the message.

Comments?

SYSTEM

#51 Post by SYSTEM »

Andrew Lee wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:59 am webfork has suggested in a PM to add something that would remind the user to post to the forum after adding an entry. Actually, his exact words were:
Something like 'please post in forums before submitting a program to the database' that a user has to click through to get to the Add view?' It might help.
But I think it makes more sense to post to the forum after adding an entry, instead of before, because then you wouldn't have the link to the entry, so you have to make a dummy post first, post an entry, then come back and edit the dummy post, which is all kind of messy.

I am thinking maybe add a bold red reminder near the "Submit" button to post to the "Submissions" forum (with a hyperlink to it). IMHO, that should be the best place to place the message.

Comments?
How about showing an alert instead when the entry has been created? Showing the message right after creating the entry would be even more effective.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#52 Post by Midas »

Any way to raise awareness of our local customs while streamlining the submission/editing process is OK with me.

Andrew Lee

#53 Post by Andrew Lee »

How about showing an alert instead when the entry has been created? Showing the message right after creating the entry would be even more effective.
Good idea! Lemme work on that...

Update: All done. You can take a look at the wordings here: https://www.portablefreeware.com/postadd.php?id=2869

Will be shown after the user has added a new entry.

webfork

#54 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:48 am
Good idea! Lemme work on that...

Update: All done. You can take a look at the wordings here: https://www.portablefreeware.com/postadd.php?id=2869

Looks great, thanks for that

Midas

#55 Post by Midas »

If it is made a centered box, with narrower column width, it will greatly improve readability... and results. ;)

Andrew Lee

#56 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:11 pm If it is made a centered box, with narrower column width, it will greatly improve readability... and results. ;)
Not really clear about what you mean.. could you elaborate, maybe with a screen mockup? Thanks!

Midas

#57 Post by Midas »

Easily. Here:

The display shows the minimum width allowed if you shrink the browser window; I find that's still overly broad. Online notices (or any lengthy piece of text online, for that matter) should be no larger than a regular newspaper column, i.e., something closer to the dimensions of the site sidebar -- or so sayeth the experts... :)

webfork

#58 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:48 am Update: All done. You can take a look at the wordings here: https://www.portablefreeware.com/postadd.php?id=2869

One additional request here: after the screen shows up, having the named link point to the entry would be ideal. Right now clicking on the link just goes back to the "postadd" page. In other words, I just added MusicBee to the database, but I couldn't get to the entry by clicking on the MusicBee hyperlink at the top.

Andrew Lee

#59 Post by Andrew Lee »

The display shows the minimum width allowed if you shrink the browser window; I find that's still overly broad. Online notices should be no larger than a regular newspaper column, i.e., something closer to the dimensions of the site sidebar -- or so sayeth the experts...
@tproli: if you are reading this, could you help me out here? While the request sounds rather easy to implement, it is surprisingly difficult for a backend guy like myself!

A little background: tproli was the member who upgraded the previous clunky design of this website with his CSS wizardry a few years back. So no more tables and hardcoded display attributes, everything is marked up by CSS classes.

While I could probably brute-force my way through on this, I have a feeling it will break tproli's design intent in a major way. So I would really like tproli's comment on this before I proceed. Thanks!
One additional request here: after the screen shows up, having the named link point to the entry would be ideal. Right now clicking on the link just goes back to the "postadd" page. In other words, I just added MusicBee to the database, but I couldn't get to the entry by clicking on the MusicBee hyperlink at the top.
Thanks for spotting this. It should be classified as a bug, which I have fixed.

Midas

#60 Post by Midas »

It just a minor improvement; I, for one, can live with it as it is. :)

Like they said in the army, good and best are not always the best friends...