The problem with the current ranking scheme

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
flector

The problem with the current ranking scheme

#1 Post by flector »

Really good programs have really low portable freeware number ranks. It's not supposed to be a popularity contest.

SYSTEM

Re: The problem with the current ranking scheme

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

flector wrote:It's not supposed to be a popularity contest.
I fully disagree here. The score is called "Popularity score", and likewise the list of programs with highest scores is called "Popular titles".

I find the current popularity score algorithm just fine.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

lautrepay

#3 Post by lautrepay »

The problem is that the popularity score impacts on the position that each app occupies in each catogory of the "All" section when you search for "Most popular first".
A few months ago this kind of search used to reflect (with few exceptions) the valuation of the apps. For example, if I wanted to know which was, on the criteria of the users of the site, the best audio player, I searched in the "All" section, "Audio - Players" category, "Most Popular first", to discover that it was Winamp Lite, followed by XMPlay or foobar2000, perhaps. That's not the case now.
Nowadays it is not possible anymore. The programs go up and down in a seemless random way.
But you're right that more popular is not the same that better valued.

Lupo73

#4 Post by Lupo73 »

The problem is under discussion here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 12&t=11234

I'm waiting Andrew Lee to start to improve the algorithm used..