Desktop Media

Share, discuss and debug ready-made JauntePE launchers for non-portable applications.
Napiophelios

Desktop Media

#1 Post by Napiophelios »

Desktop Media
Automatic Drive Icons on your Desktop

Download Desktop Media 1.7
Download JauntePE Launcher

Extract with UniExtract.Look inside the {app} folder.
Place the mediadetect.exe inside the DesktopMedia folder and launch
the other files can be discarded depending on usage.

About Desktop Media
Desktop Media is small application for Windows (any flavor) that automatically adds drive icons to your desktop. It will detect USB drives, fixed drives (ie. your hard drives), CD/DVD drives, network drives, and even RAM disk drives. For removable media (such as USB drives and CD/DVD drives), it will only add the drive to your desktop if it is present. So if you have a CD/DVD drive, but no disc is present, you won't see the icon on your desktop.

Desktop Media has the following features:
Automatically detects new (or existing) media and adds the icons to your desktop.
Has the ability to create soft links (shortcuts) or hard links (symbolic links).
Supports removable, fixed, network, CD/DVD, and RAM disk drives.
Ability to ignore user-specified drive letters.
Has the option to save the positions of the icons.

why did you create this application?
I created Desktop Media after I saw a .NET application called Desk Drive that did the same thing. I wanted to create an application that had a smaller memory footprint and more features.

webfork

Re: Desktop Media

#2 Post by webfork »

This is something that OS/2 did that I was disappointed to see leave modern operating systems. Its not really an issue for most users but this is VERY important if you have more than one portable drive.

Nice catch.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

There's a lot of names that overlap in your instructions so its to get confused about where to put what.

Here's my suggested revision to the install instructions:
  1. Extract the JauntPE Launcher zip file to a folder of your choice (to avoid confusion for this example, we extracted to a folder named "\DM")
  2. Extract DesktopMedia zip file and then use UniExtract on the resulting EXE setup file.
  3. Move the contents of the {app} folder to "\DM\DesktopMedia" folder and launch "\DM\DesktopMedia.exe".

Napiophelios

#4 Post by Napiophelios »

Sorry for the confusion,I was in a hurry. :oops:
I completely forgot set up instructions for the portable in this post
(and I also forgot to include instructions inside the launcher's archive).

I later added the above text in italics on the fly with the edit button.
My apologies...I usually do a little better than that.

Place the extracted contents from the {app} folder
inside the "DesktopMedia" folder that is
next to the JPE launcher.
a little better..maybe?

I wold like to say this is one I dont really mind making registry entries.
Much like DesktopOK (back in the non-portable days) its too handy to give much
thought to the few registry entries it makes.

If you try it and like it use it without the launcher
and just add a shortcut to your startup folder;
you wont need to use the installer.

-.-

#5 Post by -.- »

its nice :D i like it

for some reason i thought windows xp did this already. could have sworn i've seen it place shortcuts before.

one thing about this is I zipped the junction program. not fond of hardlinks like that but i kept it because i might use it later, but inside the zip the program cant make hardlinks :D incase i do something wrong lol

Napiophelios

#6 Post by Napiophelios »

You have proly seen this before..it does the same thing for cameras and scanners

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Places shortcut to Scanner or Camera on your desktop when you connect it with the USB cable

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}]
@="Scanners & Cameras"
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Problems:

1. While experimenting with the program, it created a permanent link to my J:\ drive on the desktop. I can't seem to make it go away. Any ideas?

2. Even though it would make a lot more sense, the program and its launcher can't be distributed as one. The Desktop Media program has a Microsoft Sysinternals license that doesn't allow for redistribution (and probably doesn't allow for modification of any kind either). Hopefully a similar program will appear that has a more open license.

Napiophelios

#8 Post by Napiophelios »

webfork wrote:Problems:
1. While experimenting with the program, it created a permanent link to my J:\ drive on the desktop. I can't seem to make it go away. Any ideas?
Well I have mine set up like -.-'s
I archived the junction.exe and only use soft links.
I also only select to create shortcuts for removable media and CD-ROM drives.

Are you selecting to Save icon positions?
Are you using the Symbolic (hard links) option?

If you have either enabled I would disable and restart the program.
Destroy the reg file if necessary and start over.

If the problem persists then you probably used the juntion.exe
and something wasnt redirected properly.
webfork wrote: 2. Even though it would make a lot more sense, the program and its launcher can't be distributed as one. The Desktop Media program has a Microsoft Sysinternals license that doesn't allow for redistribution (and probably doesn't allow for modification of any kind either). Hopefully a similar program will appear that has a more open license.
I always make the JPE launcher archives as seperate downloads,
did your's have the program inside?
If so I apologize for uploading the wrong archive..I proly got it mixed up with my finished version.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Napiophelios wrote:
Destroy the reg file if necessary and start over.

I'll give that a shot.
webfork wrote:I always make the JPE launcher archives as seperate downloads, did your's have the program inside? If so I apologize for uploading the wrong archive..I proly got it mixed up with my finished version.
Nope, downloading both was easy and simple. Just many PFW users will wonder why they have to fuss with two separate programs. Also, I can't include it in the Kitchen Sink program whenever the next version comes out.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

I found a possible alternative to the "Desktop Media" program. Liberta creates a tray icon for each external memory device you plug in:

Official entry:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=990

Discussed here:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?p=2459