Picasa 3 [JPE Launcher]

Share, discuss and debug ready-made JauntePE launchers for non-portable applications.
crownixx

Picasa 3 [JPE Launcher]

#1 Post by crownixx »

Introduction
The package contain the portable launcher, JauntePE library and an easy portable setup procedure.

There are two portable launchers, one will launch the Picasa and the other one will launch Picasa Photo View. In this portable version, it carry a "portable My Document" which is named as Documents. Picasa 3 will always scan this folder to find the pictures and will be used it to save any project work.

Note 1: Picasa Photo View will only work if the launcher is associated to the image file using any portable assosiation such as CAFE, JauntePE ShellDocApp plugin, or Xenon File Manager. It does not show up if it was run just by itself and the process need to be close in Task Manager

Note 2:We are lucky this time. The installer and the Picasa 3 can also be run in 32bit Vista without any break in JauntePE redirection. I guess Google already pack them with some packer beside UPX

How to Setup Picasa portable
  1. Download the Picasa installer. Make sure the name is picasa3-setup.exe. If not, rename it to picasa3-setup.exe after the download has finished
  2. Put the picasa3-setup.exe into the Setup folder. Run run-me.bat
Known Issues
Several known issues in this portable version.

Issue: In the Picasa, right click picture > Locate on Disk feature will not work.
Reason: Picasa 3 portable send the picture location path to explorer.exe. The path is actually a virtual path and only exist in virtual environment. In typical circumstances, Windows operating systems allow you to run one instance of explorer.exe. This makes it difficult to launch it inside the virtual environment. As a result, non-virtual running explorer.exe can't identify the virtual path correctly.

Issue: When try to use Picasa screensaver feature, it give error "The screensaver hasn't been installed."
Reason: During the setup Picasa portable, run-me.bat will remove picasa screensaver on purpose for 2 reason. First, the screensaver feature is not useful in portable mode where the environment always change from pc to other pc. The second reason is that JauntePE can't redirect registry changes when Picasa use Display applet (desk.cpl) to set up the screensaver. Thus, preventive step is better in this case to avoid any possible registry leakage.

Download
Picasa3 Portable Launcher[JPE].zip (462.11 KB)

edit:added info about Documents folder and Vista support
Last edited by crownixx on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

joby_toss

#2 Post by joby_toss »

You are amazing!
Thank you!

One problem I have: PicasaPhotoViewer does not show up on my system (WinXpProSp3); it only runs in TaskManager...but no window on screen...but no problem...I don't really need it.

crownixx

#3 Post by crownixx »

You're welcome :)
One problem I have: PicasaPhotoViewer does not show up on my system (WinXpProSp3); it only runs in TaskManager...but no window on screen...but no problem...I don't really need it.
You need to pass an image location to the PicasaPhotoViewer launcher. Try drag-and-drop any image file into the launcher to see how it work. This is useful for people who are using portable assosiation software.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Ha ha ... it works ! And it looks amazing !
:P
Thanks !

Buksie

Re: Picasa 3 [JPE Launcher]

#5 Post by Buksie »

Hi,

Look, this is just amazing, and wonderful! no two ways about it, BUT is it possible to get Picasa to look at a relative path?

I have it on my portable hdd, but as you can guess the drive letters are not always the same on different pc;'s, resulting in a mess-up concerning the database, and the scanned folders. I just had the things scan for 12 hours straight, plugged the drive in somewhere else, and phew - gone, have to rescan...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

avi-aryan

#6 Post by avi-aryan »

I get this error
Title - C:\Users\Avi\Downloads\Compressed\Picasa3 Portable Launcher[JPE]\JPE\User\Local\Temp\PicasaUpdater_7905.exe

Message - The file does not have program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if it exists , set it in the Default programs of Control Panel
I just uninstalled an old installed copy of Picasa to test this portable version, does it have something to do ?

avi-aryan

#7 Post by avi-aryan »

^^
Never mind, I manually put the Picasa3 folder from Program files in the JPE/ProgramFiles folder and everything works fine. Thanks for making Picasa portable , it was the last thing that I had installed on my PC. Now I am totally mobile and don't fear moving/resetting PC.

One question:
Is the 'Edit in Picasa' button in the Photo viewer portably secure , I am afraid it opens original Picasa3.exe and not the one made by JPE