PStart JPE Edition

Share, discuss and debug ready-made JauntePE launchers for non-portable applications.
crownixx

PStart JPE Edition

#1 Post by crownixx »

Introduction
This is a special edition of PStart. It is used as a quick way to launch any non-portable application as a portable application. Simply drag-and-drop the executable into the PStart menu, and the application is ready to run portably without a single need of editing JauntePE configuration ini

The fun does not stop there. There is still new and experiment feature to have a portable desktop. Get the experience of it by yourself. Run the QuickWayToFolders and get
  • the portable Desktop appearance with navigating through subfolder
  • the portable Start Menu, maybe it is not look like Start Menu but the "Multiple Folders Menu" does great job indexing the current user start menu and all user start menu.
  • the portable software association and icon association
  • the portable right click context menu and portable SendTo shortcuts
This edition was inspired by redllar's idea on the PStart Tutorial in the last JauntePE030AlphaFinal.zip. The tutorial was unfinished, but we determine to discover the idea.The first release made by Napiophelios. Thanks to him, we have the permission from the pstart author, to continue the project.

Download
PStart JPE RC3.zip (2.55 MB)

PStart JPE is also affected with JauntePE Known Limitations. Below are some that need to be highlighted
Known Limitations
  1. PStart JPE works only in 32bit windows XP or older versions
  2. Do not run PStart JPE from the Desktop, My Document, Program Files or other special folders as this action will cause PStart.xml is saved into that special folder instead of its own application directory.
  3. "InstallProgram.exe" will triger an error or will not work if it is running the installer that is located in Desktop, My Document or any special folder. Reason for this is that it has been configured to ignore list of special folders. By doing this, it will cause the installer *think* that the application has not been installed on the computer we need this situation to handle the already installed program
-edit-
added PStart JPE RC3 (29/6/09)
Last edited by crownixx on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Napiophelios

#2 Post by Napiophelios »

Much like Thinloader when I use the "InstallProgram" exe I sometimes get obsolete short cuts in my host system's start menu\programs
I am thinking the user start menu isnt sand boxed only the common start menu\programs
Also when I use the "Uninstaller" it doesnt seem to be reflected in the jauntePE.reg file only in the program's view;and the components are still where the installers place them.Is the way its supposed to work?Like an extractor maybe?

I really like the Quick folders app..its nice.

I havent tried it yet but this seems like a great way to carry a portable virtual context menu of stuff installed to the shared virtualized environment.
I am going to install 7Zip and see if it works. :D

edit:Damn Opera still got by redirection
But the portable context menu via Quickfolders works like a charm :D

crownixx

#3 Post by crownixx »

Napiophelios wrote:Much like Thinloader when I use the "InstallProgram" exe I sometimes get obsolete short cuts in my host system's start menu\programs
I am thinking the user start menu isnt sand boxed only the common start menu\programs
The configuration ini that will be used by InstallProgram and all child process created by it is located at "Programs\JPEAdminTools\InstallProgram\JauntePE_jauntePE.ini". It suppose to isolate\redirect all the special folders. Could you reproduce the problem again and send the log files to me?Use the jauntePE.dll log version and uncomment the "Logging" and the "LogPath".Change the "Logging=2" as we wish to see the details at what point that the user start menu does not sandboxed.
Napiophelios wrote: Also when I use the "Uninstaller" it doesnt seem to be reflected in the jauntePE.reg file only in the program's view;and the components are still where the installers place them.Is the way its supposed to work?Like an extractor maybe?
Sorry, i did not get this one.Are you referring to MyUninstaller?It suppose to display only the installed applications in the SandBox folder. I put this in the package as a way of removing the the applications from the SandBox. If you double click the program on the list, the uninstaller.exe of the program will be using "JPE\JauntePE_jauntePE.ini" configuration. I already tested in 7-Zip and it manage to remove the keys in the portable jauntePE.reg and the program files in the SandBox. Except for the list of the program in MyUninstaller does not remove after the uninstallation. Refresh the MyUninstaller list is also does not work but if you close and open back MyUninstaller, the uninstalled program should be not in the list. I think it is because of JauntePE limitation regarding with MemRegistry
Napiophelios wrote: I really like the Quick folders app..its nice.

I havent tried it yet but this seems like a great way to carry a portable virtual context menu of stuff installed to the shared virtualized environment.
I am going to install 7Zip and see if it works. :Dd
Yeah, it is cool to found this QuickWayToFolders. It simulate the desktop, the browsing, right click context menu,make a menu list for start menu, all of them similar to explorer. I feel browsing the PStart JPE SandBox through QuickWayToFolders is like browsing in a new windows. It is like having a portable vmware :D

Napiophelios

#4 Post by Napiophelios »

I must have done something wrong Crownixx
I redownloaded and everything went accordingly and I couldnt reproduce what I had done.
Chances are I went fiddling around with the setup or something.
With an untouched copy tho It works just like you anticipated.

The more I use this the more interesting it gets.
It would be really awesome to configure it with the JauntePE "Suite" and your modification tools.
I keep looking at how you have this thing set up and I get a head ache.
How you managed this is pretty amazing to my little brain. :D
This is definitely on par with your 7Zip JPE portable.

crownixx

#5 Post by crownixx »

Glad that everything works as expected.

Redllar doesn't allow to redistribute JauntePE "Suite" except as a complete and unaltered copy of its original zip archive distribution package. But you may integrate by yourself manually and i think it is best to ChildExclude the tools in the JauntePE "Suite". The exclusion should be in PStart_JauntePE.ini

I'm completing the tutorial for PStart JPE, probably today i manage to finish it. Hope to post it soon :)

crownixx

#6 Post by crownixx »

Added the user manual in the first post.

With my current english level, i'm definitely for sure do lots of grammar mistake and some of sentences need to be rephrase. Therefore, I has included the source file, hopefully people could help me fix the mistake

crownixx

#7 Post by crownixx »

Update with RC3. I have integrate JPE Setup Capture and the user manual in the new release. The manual also is updated with additional info, rephrasing and small grammar fix.

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

Man, I can't thank you enough for this one!

Not only it works with FileMenuTools (and Q-Dir) in a portable manner, but it is only 2 seconds configuration time!

Simply AMAZING!

P.S. I'm so mad at you because I have to transfer all my programs from my old PStart now! Just kidding! :D

crownixx

Re:

#9 Post by crownixx »

joby_toss wrote:Man, I can't thank you enough for this one!

Not only it works with FileMenuTools (and Q-Dir) in a portable manner, but it is only 2 seconds configuration time!

Simply AMAZING!

P.S. I'm so mad at you because I have to transfer all my programs from my old PStart now! Just kidding! :D
Lol! Thanks to redllar too :D i will never figure out this style of configuration if there is no redllar's example in his last package

Firewrath

Re: PStart JPE Edition

#10 Post by Firewrath »

yeahyeah, im bumping the thread more or less, but i have comments, so nehh, :P

First of which is a reply to crownixx's from my last visit to TPFC,
*aHem*
Dude,
You have done more for JPE then i have, :P
especially lately,
and you sure as hell know a Lot more about it then i do,
i was but a lowly tester / bug hunter / idea guy,
and the guy that bugged redllar, :P

so there, :P

Anyways, like what you did here, with QuickWayToFolders and the portable file association/context menus bit,
that was a great idea, seriously, ^-^

As for the PStart JPE launder,
yeah, i used to run all my programs and do all my testing through PStart, (till i found problems, the i made the program its own launcher)
redllar was not really happy with that at first, as it was using JPE other then intended,
(...i did that a Lot, ;))

and hey, with PStarts 'Find .exes" + 300 and some programs for testing, ....it was just easier that way, :P
but its where the '%appname%.reg' bit came from for saving registrys to separate app-based files instead of one Huge (in my case, :P) JPE.reg,
so in the end it was all good, ^-^
(...though i prefer the .dat extension over .reg, that way if i click on it, it doesnt mess with my registry,)

Anyways,
Just wanted to comment, ^-^
and this is my last post for this vist, :P
So Laters,

mememe12

#11 Post by mememe12 »

When I see of this page : https://www.virustotal.com/fr/analisis/ ... 1251880949

I see that this is infected !
Why ?
Is it really infected or it is why JPE setup capture : it's false alert.
If it is a false alert, why is it a false alert ?

Thaks for the reply !

Napiophelios

#12 Post by Napiophelios »

I get the same thing with A-Squared scanner;
But I am more than sure its a false alert;
cuz when I decompress the files I dont get the alert.

mememe12

#13 Post by mememe12 »

But why is it a false alert ?

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

mememe12 wrote:But why is it a false alert ?
Copying my response from this thread:
If I were an anti-virus company, I'd want to err on the side of caution and list it as a trojan. Then, if the user wants to take the risk, that's up to them.
... which pretty much goes for any non-standard program. The only way to tell a virus from a non-virus is some pretty common code similarities to *actual* viruses. The difference between a program that helps your computer and hurts your computer is not something an anti-virus program gets right every time. That's why there's a whole host of "sandboxing" programs out there that box code into a specific area where it can't hurt anything else. Linux and Mac have this type of boxing already built into the operating system, so they don't have the same issues with viruses.

freakazoid

#15 Post by freakazoid »

I was just made aware of this thread because of this post.

Sounds very cool. Unfortunately, one of the limitations is this only supports 32-bit OS's.
is it stealth? ;)