Firefox JPE tryouts

Share, discuss and debug ready-made JauntePE launchers for non-portable applications.
joby_toss

Firefox JPE tryouts

#1 Post by joby_toss »

Here is the result of a quick jauntePE version of Firefox 3.0.7 enUS: It has some issues (I'll try to solve them when I have the time) but it will keep your system clean!
You can install new extensions; the download directory will be \JPE\User\Downloads; everything is redirected into JPE folder.
Please post here any issues and modify it any way you want!

I'm also keen to see any other configuration of the jauntePE.ini file that you use!

Update 1 for firefox_jauntePE.ini:

ZergFood

#2 Post by ZergFood »

You know you can launch Firefox with:

Code: Select all

firefox -profile "path_to_profile"
which can be relative too, so you can theoretically get rid of Filesystem redirection :)
(you'll still have to redirect registry though)

freakazoid

#3 Post by freakazoid »

thanks for the quick JPE build, joby!
however, i am having problems getting this to launch.

I will see "firefox.exe" in the Task Manager, and then it will disappear after a second or two.

---

I thought this could be an issue similar to what ZergFood had for the AS3 Personal Firewall build (http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4420), so I moved the Firefox JPE folder to the c:\ root, but still i get the same problem.

Any idea why?
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Hmm...sorry to hear that, but I cannot replicate that issue; tested on Vista and XP.
If anyone else would be so kind and download it and try it (if only for testing), please do!

But I've just tried something else: I've created an empty folder named "profile" right where "firefox.exe" is (I'm not talking about jpe version now) and started the app using "-profile .\profile" argument (like ZergFood suggested) and using a sandbox.

The results are very satisfying: only 3 empty folders left behind in "AppData" and no relevant registry keys!

So I've made the decision to use Firefox setup this way for some time to see how this works out. I'm not so much into stealthiness anymore! :)

freakazoid

#5 Post by freakazoid »

I don't mind empty folders!

I just know that some extensions can write outside the regular Firefox registry, so that's probably the only caveat I have about doing this.

Other than that, let us know how this goes.
is it stealth? ;)

crownixx

#6 Post by crownixx »

hi, stealing my study time a bit for a quick reply :p

There is a config ini that redllar share for portablizing the Firefox. It is in Toolbox\Configs\Firefox_3.0 Basic.ini. ZergFood suggestion was a good idea to be implement in the config ini. It will reduce the workload of the jauntePE runtime a lot. Below is my config ini which i modified a bit from the redllar's original config.
[Launch]
Path=JPE\ProgramFiles\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
Params=-profile "..\..\..\Profile"
JPERuntime=JPE\jauntePE.dll
JPERuntimeIni=.\%appname%_jauntePE.ini
JPERuntimeReg=JPE\jauntePE.reg
JPERuntimeWFS=JPE
RedirReg=1
RedirWFS=1
AppReg=1
AppWFS=1
ExeDir=1

[Redirection]
RedirMSI=0
RedirMisc=1
MemRegistry=1
FillRegistry=1
RegMerge=1
RegIgnDel=1
ExcludeAppDir=0
WFSMerge=1
RegTokens=1

[Registry]
Use=1
Data=JPE\jauntePE.reg

[RegistryExclude]
1=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware
2=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security
3=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System
4=HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA
5=HKEY_DYN_DATA

[RegistryIgnore]
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla
2=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla

[PortableRegExclude]
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
3=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT

[Filesystem]
Use=1
Data=JPE

;[FilesystemIgnore]
;1=%38%\*.*
;2=%40%\*.*

[FilesystemExclude]
1=16
2=5

[ShellUsage]
Use=1
PreventMRU=1
PreventBinUse=1
Before using the config above, you must create a folder "Profile" first in the same directory of the config ini. I have comment the FilesystemIgnore because i found out it give trouble when i want to try adding a web page to the bookmarks. The two My Document and Desktop directory are excluded from redirection. For a normal end-user, if she downloading a file and want to put it onto the Desktop, she only know that the file should be at the Desktop without thinking how the virtualization work. The practice excluding this two directory is widely used and be default operation in building the Thinstall/Thinapp package. The Regtokens, Filesystem, and Registry are still on to have better coverage/support on Firefox plugins later on

Napiophelios

#7 Post by Napiophelios »

FireFox v3.0.8 (JPE Launcher)

I used the program files from the official portable instead of the installer
cuz I am a lazy bastard

This configuration leaves the desktop and Documents folder unsandboxed

AppData,Internet files,and the registry are basically the only things redirected.

File Associations work as do default "openwith" programs such as media players and such.

The portable can be used on a machine with Firefox already installed without error or entanglements.
Just dont use it from the desktop. :)

Just place program files in the" .\Programfiles\FireFox " folder.

The launcher is named Firefox3 but will work with any version you throw in the app folder. (I recommend v2.0.2.0:D)
I had to rename the launcher cuz I was gettin the same issues as Freakazoid;
it would either show up in taskmanager but not be visible
or I would get an error saying that firefox was already running.
Renaming the launcher seems to have solved this.

crownixx

#8 Post by crownixx »

hazelir wrote:How can I make Firefox offer to remember user id and password? When Firefox offered to remember user id and password for a site, I accidentally clicked "never for this site". But now I want Firefox to remember them for the site. How can I make Firefox offer to do them again. I tried tools/options/security/ remember password and then exceptions. But that site is not entered in the exceptions.
For your question i think it is better if you search for help at official firefox below
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/

However, if the question specifically for the firefox jpe version, i guess by removing the jpe portable registry and/or jpe ".\User\AppData" (which contain the firefox profile settings) should do the trick