[Launcher] AS3 Personal Firewall

Share, discuss and debug ready-made JauntePE launchers for non-portable applications.
joby_toss

[Launcher] AS3 Personal Firewall

#1 Post by joby_toss »

AS3 Personal Firewall is device designed to prevent outsiders from accessing your network. The unit serves as the single entry point to your network and evaluate all TCP connections requests as they are received comparing them with each rule in the policy.

AS3 Personal Firewall is an easy to use, advanced software that offers you the ability to watch for all ports on your system without listening. Activity provides a real-time view of the open connections through the firewall. The rules editor is used to define a security policy where connections requests from unauthorized ip addresses and ports are rejected. The log viewer provides data connection notes that can be used for prosecuting the potential attackers.

Use the rules editor to specify the destination and service for each rule with the required action. For example, if you don't want someone connecting to your network, you can bar his access by blocking connection request from his ip address or port number. On his end, he see a message that responds "Connection failed" or "Connection terminated".

Once defined the firewall provides control of how the policy is distributed to all TCP connections through your network.

JPE Launcher:

Code: Select all

http://rapidshare.com/files/192352301/AS3PersonalFirewall_PJ.7z
http://www.mediafire.com/file/y0mft5tnzmu/AS3PersonalFirewall_PJ.7z
TPFC forum topic about this is here.

Please see "readme_PJ.txt" file inside "Docs" folder!

freakazoid

#2 Post by freakazoid »

thanks joby for fulfilling my request!

just one note for the JauntePE launcher:
The "comctl32.ocx" file in the "Data\Windows" folder is case-sensitive.

When I copied the file over, it was originally capitalized and when I tried to launch the AS3 firewall, the program threw an error saying the file didn't exist.

So just a reminder to all to rename that file so it is in lowercase.

We now have a portable firewall! :)

ZergFood

#3 Post by ZergFood »

Here's a bug I found:

IMPORTANT: For some inexplicable reason, the path to the Firewall runs into conflicts with directories that resemble part of the path exactly, but without spaces (which separates the two paths). This may not be a good explanation so here's an example:

if ANYWHERE in the full path to the Firewall you have a directory of the form

<SomeName> <ExtraName>

(where <SomeName> is any valid name, and <ExtraName> is any valid name as well, but they are separated by spaces)

And another one of the form:

<SomeName>

in the same subdirectory (i.e both are found in the same 'level' in the path), the PORTABLE version of the application will not run (although the normal one will), and will create a 'manifest' file for the executable. The next time you run it will work, but the manifest will get deleted (setting it to read-only doesn't work either). The message given is "JaunePE can not yet portablize non-32-bit applications" or something like that. :!:

Here is an example:

C:\SomeFolder\Windows\
C:\SomeFolder\Windows Programs\Portable\AS3 Personal Firewall\

will not work, as 'C:\SomeFolder\Windows' is a folder that resembles exactly part of the path only separated by a space. But:

C:\SomeFolder\Windows_Programs\Portable\AS3 Personal Firewall\

will work, because they aren't separated by spaces. Further:

C:\SomeFolder\Programs\AS3 Personal Firewall\
C:\SomeFolder\Programs Data\

will work as well because the path with the Personal Firewall is not the one with the space (if it were the other way around: i.e it was put into Programs Data, the portable version would NOT launch).

You can replace 'SomeFolder' with any path you want, it doesn't matter. Also this:

C:\SomeFolder\Windowz Programs\Portable\AS3 Personal Firewall\

works as well since 's' and 'z' is what separates them, not the space. ;)

How much I hate stupid and inexplicable bugs. (why does it work with the manifest file? and why only the portable launch has these bugs?)

NOTE: This only happens with the portable launch and ONLY with spaces. If you put underscores instead it will work. Is this a bug in JauntePE or just inexplicable bug in the application?

Hope I helped in reporting to crush an annoying bug :)

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

I'm not quite sure I understand what you just typed.
My apologies!

---

I don't think it's a "bug" per se.

The way that joby created the build is that the "data" folder should reside within the same folder as "AS3 Personal Firewall".

Your directory structure should look like:

x:\xxx\AS3 personal firewall\data
x:\xxx\AS3 personal firewall\app

---

Again my apologies if I misunderstood what you typed!

ZergFood

#5 Post by ZergFood »

Yes indeed I am not talking about the program itself or where it is located.

Try this: put the program on a path called "C:\Some Folder\AS3 Personal Firewall" (everything should go there in that folder).

Then CREATE a new folder in C:\ called "Some"

so you'll have these two FULL paths (doesn't matter what it is in them):

C:\Some
C:\Some Folder\AS3 Personal Firewall\.....

of course where there are the ..... there should be the firewall itself (with all the files and data on it). You can have anything else in the "C:\Some Folder" path, any other app, it doesn't matter.

it does NOT matter what it is in "C:\Some" folder, it can be empty!

this isn't necessarily the bug of portablization, but of the launcher (strangely it works ok with other apps, but not with this one; weird combination I guess). It won't launch at all, it will create a 'manifest' file (jauntePE will give a "does not support non-32-bit apps yet" message).

If you run it again (after the manifest file is created, near the .exe of the real app, not the launcher), it WORKS (even with that folder structure), but it DELETES the manifest file (if you set it to read-only it won't run). So the next time, it will again not run, but will create the manifest file. Next time it'll run & delete it... and so on.

This isn't a big problem, but just an inexplicable bug for me. The app itself works, but the full path to the application can get in conflict, as I have outlined above, with "other paths" on the drive (it does NOT matter what is in those paths/directories).

Note: this only happens if they are separated by a space, if you put underscore it works. I guess it's a Windows thing.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

NOTE: If you RENAME C:\Some to, let's say, C:\Som3 ('e' replaced by '3') it WILL WORK, because they aren't separated by space anymore (the two full paths), but by e&3.