JauntePE: A place to make requests

Share, discuss and debug ready-made JauntePE launchers for non-portable applications.
joby_toss

JauntePE: A place to make requests

#1 Post by joby_toss »

I think there should be a designated place (topic, subforum, whatever) where people could make requests for JPE launchers for their favorite applications.

Posting the name of the application and its home page and license type should be mandatory.
Other details would be welcomed (like special requirements) but "the story" should be kept as concise as possible.

Maybe this way more and more (hopefully all) software would become netcafe-launch-ready :) .

Cheers!

freakazoid

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Can we post requests here in this thread ;)

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

freakazoid wrote:Can we post requests here in this thread ;)
Please do!
I'll make the first one though! ;)

[Request] WIA-Loader
WIA-Loader transfers pictures from a camera or flash card to the PC. It offers many options to name image files and folders and give you the possibility to geocode pictures with gpx-files.
WIA-Loader is free to use, without limitations at the moment.
You need Microsofts .NET Framework 2.0 or higher in order to use WIA-Loader.
Tried it without luck.
Thanks in advance!

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

Alright!

Here's one that I can think of off the top of my head:

mpTrim - http://www.mptrim.com/
Nice little mp3 trimmer, but writes to registry.

When I think of more, i'll post it here!

m^(2)

#5 Post by m^(2) »

I think that this is a good topic and deserves to be stuck.

donald

wallpaper changer

#6 Post by donald »

krapplets paper wallpaper changer 3.2a

website http://krapplets.cream.org/paper.shtml
Version: 3.2a BETA Size: 180kb
Paper is a random wallpaper program.
Also from the main page
All Krapplets Applications have the following features
They are Free
They are true 32-bit apps written exclusively for Windows 95 & NT4
They have a full install and uninstall script
They are written in C++ using MFC
that should cover license and website

this wallpaper changer supports lists with relative paths but looks to the registry to find the lists

I have tried to use Jaunte PE myself but I am not experienced
I have also contacted the developers but no response

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

I think that this is a good topic and deserves to be stuck.
This topic has been made sticky.

crownixx

#8 Post by crownixx »

wow, this is great. It will bring up the name of JauntePE to others.

This is just my suggestion not a request. The folder structure for the application-specific portable launcher. So far i have see Andrew and joby_toss using below structure

Code: Select all

App\
JPE\
JPE\jauntePE.dll
Paper.exe
Paper_jauntePE.ini
for Andrew he use Data instead of JPE

So my suggestion is to add a specific name under this two folder (App and JPE). For example

App\Paper\
JPE\Paper\
JPE\jauntePE.dll
Paper.exe
Paper_jauntePE.ini
Let say i have the other JPE application

App\mpTrim\
JPE\mpTrim\
JPE\jauntePE.dll
mpTrim.exe
mpTrim_jauntePE.ini
With this directory structure, i as a user have the choice to merge this two package together, thus allowing me to use only one jauntePE.dll

So my combine JPE application will be

App\mpTrim\
App\Paper\
JPE\mpTrim\
JPE\Paper\
JPE\jauntePE.dll
mpTrim.exe
mpTrim_jauntePE.ini
Paper.exe
Paper_jauntePE.ini

m^(2)

#9 Post by m^(2) »

crownixx wrote: Let say i have the other JPE application

App\mpTrim\
JPE\mpTrim\
JPE\jauntePE.dll
mpTrim.exe
mpTrim_jauntePE.ini
With this directory structure, i as a user have the choice to merge this two package together, thus allowing me to use only one jauntePE.dll
What for? To save a few kilobytes?

With your way one has one more directory to pass to get to the files which slows access to them whenever it has to do something manually.
IMO it's unnecessary complication.

Also, you achieve do the same in a few seconds by editing the .ini and changing JPERuntime setting to point to some common directory like ..\JPE\jauntePE.dll

But I think that it's good that you started the discussion. IMO standardization of directory structure is convenient for the users and is going to accelerate JPE market adoption.

My proposal:

(appname).exe
readme         // optional
bin
cfg
cfg\(appname).reg
cfg\(redirected folders)
data\jpe_(appname).exe
data\jpe_(appname).ini
data\jauntePE.dll
data\..       // optionally other data
Drawbacks:
- It requires a secondary launcher. Additional 4 KB and a few milliseconds at launch.

Advantages:
- Most users need to access only the .exe, other files are moved out of sight.
- Shallow, with short directory names = easy to browse.
- Easy to backup
- Easy to update the app
- Easy to update JPE. Because of secondary launcher, you don't have to change it's icon.

Question: Does JPE allow for environmental variables in paths in the [Launch] section?
The secondary launcher could set them to allow i.e. for centralized settings repository. Or using one JauntePE.dll by all programs. ;)

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

I only thought of the folder structure briefly.
I think it is something that's not going to be standardized too soon. In fact I don't even see the point for this to happen (diversity is a good thing :) ).
I prefer applications sitting each in its place so if i want to get rid of one, i only have to select that one folder and press delete. I don't have the time to think what i have to select and where from.
The truth is that anyone could change the folder structure to their liking in 2 minutes: just create the necessary folders and edit the .ini file - only 3-4 lines/paths have to be modified.

crownixx

#11 Post by crownixx »

To save 464 KB if the user choose to.
With your way one has one more directory to pass to get to the files which slows access to them whenever it has to do something manually.
Then you are also suggest that what redllar had set in 12 Step Program and JPE Quickie standard that use JPE\ProgramFiles\Appname is is slow and unnecessary. I really cant comment about this coz i dont know how it really affecting the performance
Also, you achieve do the same in a few seconds by editing the .ini and changing JPERuntime setting to point to some common directory like ..\JPE\jauntePE.dll
IMO, new user will be afraid to edit the .ini, plus they need to know how to use relative path. We should ask other person opinion which one is far more easier, merging 2 package or editing the runtime ini?
Question: Does JPE allow for environmental variables in paths in the [Launch] section?
I think yes. redllar use the term tokens. See readme.html>Launch Ini

What i dont understand is how the secondary launcher (if i'm right (appname).exe) get it setting to point to data\jpe_(appname).exe?

I want to correct that my suggestion folder structure for JPE does not need to have its own application folder thus we can have similar setting for file system that is create in JPE Quickie and redllar 12 Step Program. So we have two app-specific condition potentially to occur
1. JPE App-specific that is set using 12-Step Program and JPE Quickie that use installation procedure
2. JPE App-specific that is design for app that doesnt have setup, unable to JPE-Setup for example msi installer so we can use Universal Extractor. The application can be put in App\appname folder

Both condition will use same dll which will be in JPE\jauntePE.dll and both using the same File System setting which will be in JPE folder. The most important is that it is sync with redllar 12 Step Program and JPE Quickie folder structure.

Yes i admit the it will complicated when we do the update and that is why i said it is only an option

m^(2)

#12 Post by m^(2) »

joby_toss wrote:I only thought of the folder structure briefly.
I think it is something that's not going to be standardized too soon. In fact I don't even see the point for this to happen (diversity is a good thing :) ).
Standardized folder structure offers ( at least :) ) 2 advantages:
- Users' convenience. When user wants to find some files, it's easier to navigate in a known structure.
- Allows for making tools that relay on it. Example: PortableApps.com backup.
joby_toss wrote:I prefer applications sitting each in its place so if i want to get rid of one, i only have to select that one folder and press delete. I don't have the time to think what i have to select and where from.
Me too. None of standards proposed to date interferes with it. 2 allow for breaking it if users wishes too (which has advantages as well).
joby_toss wrote:The truth is that anyone could change the folder structure to their liking in 2 minutes: just create the necessary folders and edit the .ini file - only 3-4 lines/paths have to be modified.
Yes, but remember that you have to do it with every app and every update of the launcher. In the end it's cumbersome.
crownixx wrote:
To save 464 KB if the user choose to.
Then you are also suggest that what redllar had set in 12 Step Program and JPE Quickie standard that use JPE\ProgramFiles\Appname is is slow and unnecessary. I really cant comment about this coz i dont know how it really affecting the performance
I meant situation when user has to access the files directly. That's another directory to pass. When it's automated there's practically no difference.
crownixx wrote:
IMO, new user will be afraid to edit the .ini, plus they need to know how to use relative path. We should ask other person opinion which one is far more easier, merging 2 package or editing the runtime ini?
IMO, new user won't experiment with merging apps. I'm pretty sure about it.
crownixx wrote:
I think yes. redllar use the term tokens. See readme.html>Launch Ini
Yes, it seems it does. So it is possible to make my approach work with shared dlls (and settings) too. W/out increasing tree deph.
crownixx wrote:What i dont understand is how the secondary launcher (if i'm right (appname).exe) get it setting to point to data\jpe_(appname).exe?
There's a handful of ways to do it, the simplest being reading own file name. ;)
crownixx wrote:I want to correct that my suggestion folder structure for JPE does not need to have its own application folder (...)
I don't get this part.
crownixx wrote:(...) thus we can have similar setting for file system that is create in JPE Quickie and redllar 12 Step Program. So we have two app-specific condition potentially to occur
1. JPE App-specific that is set using 12-Step Program and JPE Quickie that use installation procedure
2. JPE App-specific that is design for app that doesnt have setup, unable to JPE-Setup for example msi installer so we can use Universal Extractor. The application can be put in App\appname folder

Both condition will use same dll which will be in JPE\jauntePE.dll and both using the same File System setting which will be in JPE folder. The most important is that it is sync with redllar 12 Step Program and JPE Quickie folder structure.
Yes, things should be as similar to what redllar set as possible, to make it easy for the developers.
I'll have to look at JPE defaults more closely, I'm yet to Jauntize my first app! Well, I tried once before, but it seems that Quickie doesn't work on XP x64. Will investigate another day.
crownixx wrote:Yes i admit the it will complicated when we do the update and that is why i said it is only an option
Directory structure is not an option. ;) Developer sets it and users live with it (or change it, if they are advanced enough and find it worthwhile).

To end this long post, I want to update my structure proposal: add optional "doc" directory in the root. Containing things like sources and..well..docs.

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

Ok ok ... so i guess that most of you guys would prefer a jointly folder structure ... I would go with something like this:

App\
App\application's files and folders
Data\
Data\appname_jpe.reg
Data\redirected folders
Data\appname_jpe.ini
Data\jauntePE.dll
Doc\
Doc\readme
Doc\license (JPE's, app's)
appname_jpe.exe

m^(2)

#14 Post by m^(2) »

Sorry, I'm notorious for creating large offtopics. Andy, could you split this? TIA.
joby_toss wrote:Ok ok ... so i guess that most of you guys would prefer a jointly folder structure ... I would go with something like this:

App\
App\application's files and folders
Data\
Data\appname_jpe.reg
Data\redirected folders
Data\appname_jpe.ini
Data\jauntePE.dll
Doc\
Doc\readme
Doc\license (JPE's, app's)
appname_jpe.exe
Obligatory license is certainly a good idea.
You all seem to prefer App for binaries, I back off.

What I don't like about your proposal is keeping settings and JPE runtimes together. IMO it's more convenient to have them separated.
Also, I don't like the _jpe postfix. For the end user it makes no difference whether the application is Jauntized or portable by itself and seeing _jpe everywhere would be daunting, like it is with Portable PortableApps.com software.

Queue

#15 Post by Queue »

It's better than the user seeing two executables with the same name and thinking one is a duplicate that can be deleted. There's also the benefit of being able to tell running executables apart by their filename, assuming JPE executables stay running...

Queue