CLI database is now public

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Midas

Re: CLI database is now public

#16 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote:Finally figured out what's wrong! Fixed.

Thanks for that. 8)

But compact view is still not compact enough -- e.g., UnxUtils entry shows a long list of "Included tools" that pushes any other entry off the viewport.

Andrew Lee

#17 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:29 am But compact view is still not compact enough -- e.g., UnxUtils entry shows a long list of "Included tools" that pushes any other entry off the viewport.
Compact view will leave only the description while hiding all other text eg. extraction instructions etc. If the description itself is long, as is the case with all of vevy's entries that are collections, which is what you are seeing.

One workaround is to put "spoiler" tags strategically to hide by default certain content in the description, which I have tried doing for UnxUtils. Take a look and lemme know what you think.

vevy

#18 Post by vevy »

I raised that issue before: for example here and here.

The issue is that a spoiler is a problem with CTRL+F and doesn't auto-expand when a highlighted search result is within.

There are a couple of solutions, but it depends on Andrew:
  • Auto-expand spoiler if there is a search match inside. This doesn't help with CTRL+F.
  • A button to expand all spoilers on page.
  • A separate field for "Included tools" that can be among those hidden in compact view.
There are also a couple of other solutions to consider:
- Smaller font size for [ section ] tag. Including smaller line-spacing (see mini-request here).
- Horizontal layout of items instead of vertical.

Andrew Lee

#19 Post by Andrew Lee »

vevy wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:22 am The issue is that a spoiler is a problem with CTRL+F and doesn't auto-expand when a highlighted search result is within.

There are a couple of solutions, but it depends on Andrew:
  • Auto-expand spoiler if there is a search match inside. This doesn't help with CTRL+F.
  • A button to expand all spoilers on page.
  • A separate field for "Included tools" that can be among those hidden in compact view.
I did some research just now, and surprisingly I discovered that CTRL-F doesn't gel well with hidden divs/spans and details/summary, which are the 2 main methods used to implement spoilers. Basically, there is no good way to get the browser to auto-expand and highlight search keywords from within hidden text. I suddenly realize why sometimes when I look for a keyword on a webpage, some matches don't display the highlighted keyword at all, leaving me quite puzzled. As far as I can tell, this is a browser level issue and not something you can work around with code, at least not in a cross-platform, cross-browser way.

A separate field for included tools also doesn't solve the same issue if what you are looking for is inside the hidden text.

A button to expand all spoilers is a possible workaround, but 1) you would need to know that the button exists, and 2) you would need to know _why_ it exists. Otherwise, the user will be left equally puzzled.

Or maybe we can have the full view automatically expands all spoilers, while the compact view hides them by default.

SYSTEM

#20 Post by SYSTEM »

Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:08 am I did some research just now, and surprisingly I discovered that CTRL-F doesn't gel well with hidden divs/spans and details/summary, which are the 2 main methods used to implement spoilers. Basically, there is no good way to get the browser to auto-expand and highlight search keywords from within hidden text. I suddenly realize why sometimes when I look for a keyword on a webpage, some matches don't display the highlighted keyword at all, leaving me quite puzzled. As far as I can tell, this is a browser level issue and not something you can work around with code, at least not in a cross-platform, cross-browser way.
There is a CSS+JavaScript feature in development to allow this: https://github.com/WICG/display-locking ... tchable.md

It's not yet supported by any browser, though (only Chromium-based browsers have an implementation, and even in them it's disabled by default).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

vevy

#21 Post by vevy »

Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:08 am A separate field for included tools also doesn't solve the same issue if what you are looking for is inside the hidden text.
It won't be hidden in this case. It will depend on the user's preference: always shown with regular (unless in an explicit spoiler) or hidden (with the other fields) in compact view.

Maybe this will also can offer a solution for the auto-expand issue if you can figure out a way to show the field in compact view if it has a search match.
A button to expand all spoilers is a possible workaround, but 1) you would need to know that the button exists, and 2) you would need to know _why_ it exists. Otherwise, the user will be left equally puzzled.
Maybe call it something like "Expand all fields". I think its effect would be quite obvious. You can also add explanatory text on mouse hover or a link to FAQ.
Or maybe we can have the full view automatically expands all spoilers, while the compact view hides them by default.
I think this would kill the point of spoilers. A choice between two extremes.:|

Midas

#22 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote: Take a look and lemme know what you think.

It works for me. :)

Andrew Lee

#23 Post by Andrew Lee »

SYSTEM wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:17 am There is a CSS+JavaScript feature in development to allow this: https://github.com/WICG/display-locking ... tchable.md

It's not yet supported by any browser, though (only Chromium-based browsers have an implementation, and even in them it's disabled by default).
Do you have any opinion as to the best way to tackle this issue now?

SYSTEM

#24 Post by SYSTEM »

Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:30 pm
SYSTEM wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:17 am There is a CSS+JavaScript feature in development to allow this: https://github.com/WICG/display-locking ... tchable.md

Do you have any opinion as to the best way to tackle this issue now?
No, I don't.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Andrew Lee

#25 Post by Andrew Lee »

Let's start from what is the desired behaviour, than see what we can do about it.

First of all, I have the question of whether spoilers are necessary. This could be one potential point of discussion.

If spoilers are necessary, then there is the question of whether multiple spoilers are necessary. Or whether we could simply have a tag in the description that says "everything below this point" can be hidden for brevity.

So now we have (potentially multiple) spoilers and the entire section hidden by compact view. When we search using Ctrl-F, matches within hidden sections cannot not be auto expanded. This is a limitation in current browser technology. vevy suggests some kind of "Expand all" button to tackle this limitation.

When we search the database and matching entries are returned with matching keywords highlighted, potentially hidden sections with matching keywords can be auto expanded. This should be technically possible but require non-trivial code additions/changes. Note that this doesn't actually affect the hidden-by-compact-view section, because the fields inside that section are not involved in database searches in the first place. So only spoilers are affected.

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote:We could simply have a tag in the description that says "everything below this point" can be hidden for brevity.

In an Occam's Razor spirit, that would be my favored solution -- don't go for overly complex solutions unless you absolutely need to.

Maybe attention should be drawn to the "keywords" field as a way to workaround any search shortcomings caused by "spoiler" hiding .

vevy

#27 Post by vevy »

I think the issue is showing the search hits (for highlighting, CTRL+F), not finding them in the first place.