CLI database is now public

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Andrew Lee

CLI database is now public

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

As discussed, I have removed the password for the CLI website, so it is now public.

[EDIT: access at https://cli.portablefreeware.com/]

The voting system is now enabled, so entries with score < 10 are hidden. Currently only two entries are public. The other entries will have to make it on their own merit if they get enough votes. To see all private entries, please use "Detailed search" and search for "All entries" under "Results type" (no search keyword is required).

Have fun!

vevy

Re: CLI database is now public

#2 Post by vevy »

Too soon Andrew :( You are undoing my work!

Could you tell us why?

At least you could have made a poll!

Please reconsider!

SYSTEM

#3 Post by SYSTEM »

I think having the DB public makes no harm at this point. It's not really attracting attention anyway for now. We can spread word about it later if/when it gets more complete.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

vevy

#4 Post by vevy »

SYSTEM wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:51 am I think having the DB public makes no harm at this point. It's not really attracting attention anyway for now. We can spread word about it later if/when it gets more complete.
So what is the value of making it public now? I don't mind the "voting on merit" at all, but now it is accessible to search engines and people.

Everyone here knows the password anyway!

vevy

#5 Post by vevy »

Going public now has the following disadvantages:
  • It is accessible to search engines and people. It will show up in search results before it is ready.
  • Any coverage tends to be with release or "v1.0", even if it is just a number. Examples: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
  • The database has a lot of Placeholder categories, unexplained descriptions, entries not linked with their parents, etc. These entries were added quickly to test the database structure. They are not release-ready.
  • There are a LOT of excellent tools that needs to added before the first launch. I have a lot of them but if I added them now, I would have to repeat a lot of work later. This needs to be done first.
  • Some cosmetic tweaks that are little effort but great UX.
  • TBC

The DB doesn't have to be complete before going public! But now is too early!

vevy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:04 am You only get one shot at a first impression!

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

I'm not going to comment on whether or not the site is ready -- I really haven't had a lot of bandwidth to give to this, but I did come up with a few housekeeping notes about going public:
  • Search doesn't seem to work. I typed in "backup" and got a "your query did not return any search result". Also there's no Google search box at the bottom of the search page like on the main site. (EDIT: Search is now working)
  • Can we get a link to the CLI site from the main page or do you want to hold off on that until it gets out of beta?
  • What's the verdict on the new icon? Were we going to use that?
  • Clicking on the popular titles doesn't seem to work.
  • When you click on Forum from the is there a way to push the CLI items up to the top? Or you wanna just keep it as normal?
  • We should probably try to come up with either a different or modified News/Links/FAQ/About links at the top of the page. Or take down those links for now.
vevy wrote:It is accessible to search engines and people.
It's been a while since I messed with web server stuff, but I think it's possible to disable that partly or in whole via robots.txt.

vevy

#7 Post by vevy »

webfork wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:57 amSearch doesn't seem to work.
Private entries are excluded by default.
Can we get a link to the CLI site from the main page or do you want to hold off on that until it gets out of beta?
As I believe that the DB is not ready as beta in the first place, so that should comes later.
We should probably try to come up with either a different or modified News/Links/FAQ/About links at the top of the page. Or take down those links for now.
This can be done. But it is yet another unready aspect.
It's been a while since I messed with web server stuff, but I think it's possible to disable that partly or in whole via robots.txt.
That is a solution to the first problem (for crawlers that respect it anyway), but again: Why be public immediately in the first place?

Andrew Lee

#8 Post by Andrew Lee »

Don't worry. We are not Google. It's not like we are going to do a press release and suddenly get a huge spike in visits. Most likely the visitors will just be TPFC regulars, and the removal of password will make it ever slightly more convenient to engage.

As I have stated many times, this is the only way to let the CLI site evolve and estimate the level of engagement along the way. The big-bang approach is not the way to go IMHO.

vevy

#9 Post by vevy »

It is not how I'd do it, but I'll give it a shot.

Can you at least enable me to continue?

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

@Andrew: can we have a compact view like in the general database, please?

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

@Midas: Could you elaborate what you mean by "compact view"? Don't think I changed the layout much for the CLI site.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

From my side, I get no such option...

Pendrive

#13 Post by Pendrive »

DELETED
Last edited by Pendrive on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE DELETE ALL MY POSTS, COMMENTS AND ACCOUNT.

SYSTEM

#14 Post by SYSTEM »

Pendrive wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:01 am I can find the entry for Swiss File Knife, which I don't use; I cannot find one for NirCmd, which is a rather similar command-line multi-tool that I do use.
The database is editable. If you want a new tool added, add it and post about it in the forums! That's how the DB is intended to grow. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Andrew Lee

#15 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:39 am From my side, I get no such option...
Finally figured out what's wrong! Fixed.