Removed outdated browsers from the database

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Andrew Lee

Removed outdated browsers from the database

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

webfork and myself have decided to take some really outdated browsers from the database private as they are prime security risks for users.

I will list the browsers here for future reference:
  • Ghostzilla
  • Crazy Browser
  • xB Browser
  • OperaTor
  • Fastest Web Browser
  • Off By One Web Browser
I won't hyperlink them to reduce discoverability by search engines

Pendrive

Re: Removed outdated browsers from the database

#2 Post by Pendrive »

DELETED
Last edited by Pendrive on Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PLEASE DELETE ALL MY POSTS, COMMENTS AND ACCOUNT.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Contrary to MSIE (cf. viewtopic.php?t=25138), it really makes me sad to see some of these go... :disappointed_relieved:

billon

#4 Post by billon »

Pendrive wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:23 am QtWeb
Disagree.
Very outdated, sure, but still unique small stealth program, can be used like off-line HTML viewer, SVG viewer, like player for flash games, and most useful, IMHO, like HTML to PDF converter

freakazoid

#5 Post by freakazoid »

I disagree about Off By One. It's a browser that doesn't even render Java and JS, which are the major causes of web exploits.

I don't have an issue with the rest of them.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

billon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:18 pm Very outdated, sure, but still unique small stealth program, can be used like off-line HTML viewer, SVG viewer, like player for flash games, and most useful, IMHO, like HTML to PDF converter
freakazoid wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:13 pm I disagree about Off By One. It's a browser that doesn't even render Java and JS, which are the major causes of web exploits.
The main point here is that, unlike the host of other software here on the site, outdated browsers can be actively harmful to your machine. I thought to suggest an active cut-off date for browser listing, but both billon and freakazoid make good points. Whatever the requests for exception, I strongly recommend taking down the xB Browser and OperaTor. They came into the database as privacy-enabling but can hardly provide that now.

JohnTHaller

#7 Post by JohnTHaller »

freakazoid wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:13 pm I disagree about Off By One. It's a browser that doesn't even render Java and JS, which are the major causes of web exploits.

I don't have an issue with the rest of them.
Another big one is image and video rendering libraries. So, an out of date browser is vulnerable even without JS.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

freakazoid

#8 Post by freakazoid »

I don't use Off By One, but you can disable images from loading. From their website, it looks like it can play .wav and .avi, so you'd need a specially-crafted item from one of those types of files and the know-how to target OBO's custom web engine in order to exploit it. Sounds like it would be a hassle for someone to go through all that trouble.
is it stealth? ;)