First post of topic auto locked after 7 days

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Andrew Lee

First post of topic auto locked after 7 days

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

As discussed in this topic, I have implemented the code to automatically lock all first posts in a topic after 7 days.

A moderator will still be able to unlock or edit a locked post at their discretion.

vevy

Re: First post of topic auto locked after 7 days

#2 Post by vevy »

I honestly still think that this is overcorrecting the problem.

In any case, I'd like to request my topics in CLI forums be unlocked due to their nature... or maybe be that I be made a limited mod to these subforums (editing, pinning, etc).

Thanks

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

IMHO, vevy's request sounds reasonable.

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

Some forums get around the locked first post problem by creating secondary or tertiary posts with the word "Reserved for future usage" or something like that and then the original poster would edit those posts when they have updates they want to add.
is it stealth? ;)

Special

#5 Post by Special »

IMO nuke the forums, replace them with Discord.
Spoiler!   
Don't do this.

vevy

#6 Post by vevy »

Midas wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:57 am IMHO, vevy's request sounds reasonable.
Thanks.
freakazoid wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:50 am Some forums get around the locked first post problem by creating secondary or tertiary posts with the word "Reserved for future usage" or something like that and then the original poster would edit those posts when they have updates they want to add.
I do that, but sometimes you need to edit rather than correct/append. You can plan ahead and make a simple first post and keep the actual data to the second post, but then you just shifted the problem and you are back to fully-editable "first" posts! (Not that I consider this a significant problem to begin with)

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

vevy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:29 pm I honestly still think that this is overcorrecting the problem.

In any case, I'd like to request my topics in CLI forums be unlocked due to their nature... or maybe be that I be made a limited mod to these subforums (editing, pinning, etc).

Thanks
Yup, done. If I have missed out any posts, do let me know.

BTW, it's just the first post that's locked, not the entire topic.

Andrew Lee

#8 Post by Andrew Lee »

Just noticed that Ding-A-Ling did a copycat and made all his posts single-letter.

Does anyone know his grievances? I am assuming this has got something to do with the new locking function?

Look, I think I am a pretty reasonable person. If you guys don't like certain decisions, let's just have frank communication and we can always sort things out. If enough people are against it, I am always open to a reversal.

The way some members deal with disagreements remind me of a certain ex-girlfriend from long ago. Stone-walling, tantrums, violent reactions. We broke up eventually :D

vevy

#9 Post by vevy »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:26 pm Just noticed that Ding-A-Ling did a copycat and made all his posts single-letter.
Well. It's surprising to be honest. Especially that they are an older user.

thepiney

#10 Post by thepiney »

A 5 page thread/topic with 2-1/2 to 3 pages of discussion back and forth with no posts from Ding-A-Ling. If he had issues against it, he should have spoken up.

This community has always appeared very open to discussion so I see no fault on any of your behalves(sp?). I made some suggestions and even if none were followed there was discussion on the topic and a consensus seemed to be reached by the community which is for the best.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

thepiney wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:23 am
Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:26 pmDoes anyone know his grievances? I am assuming this has got something to do with the new locking function?
This community has always appeared very open to discussion so I see no fault on any of your behalves(sp?). I made some suggestions and even if none were followed there was discussion on the topic and a consensus seemed to be reached by the community which is for the best.
Agreed. However, for a number of reasons, I do not think Ding left because of the first post locking issue. I can explain in a PM if anyone is interested, but I don't think it's anything to do with Andrew or the new policy.

Losing Rudy's work was an issue because he came up with a lot of original threads and lots of great testing. Ding was advertising his own software and made some occasional good posts, but wasn't as active. Anyway, I am underway with a gradual cleanup of Rudy's posts (Midas and juverax have been very helpful in that process), I'll add Ding's posts to that list.

vevy

#12 Post by vevy »

My topics got edit-locked again. 😕

billon

#13 Post by billon »

vevy wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 am My topics got edit-locked again. 😕
Which topics?

vevy

#14 Post by vevy »