Added "Best of" page

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Andrew Lee

Added "Best of" page

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

As discussed in this topic, I have added a "Best of" page to summarize the results of the annual poll that webfork has conducted over the years. See if you can find it! :D

Specular

Re: Added "Best of" page

#2 Post by Specular »

Nice! Glad it shows also the list of contenders. Hopefully this prominence allows more users to become aware of it and take part next year.

Specular

#3 Post by Specular »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:26 pm.
Just noticed a small thing: the 2017 entries all have a quote character at the end of their URLs. Doesn't seem to affect returning the page but thought I'd mention it.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Nice going. And a quick and easy way to value community input. :sunglasses:

Now if someone would sketch up an award sticker, I'm sure program devs would really appreciate that...

OT: Yhay! for my fifty-fifty post... :collision:

Specular

#5 Post by Specular »

Midas wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:38 amNow if someone would sketch up an award sticker, I'm sure program devs would really appreciate that...
I'm not sure how many devs utilize award graphics these days but here are some ideas for consideration. First being for the winner, the second among the nominees.

Have them vectorized with editable year text so updating it as necessary would be maintainable. Dual-years such as 2018-19 would necessitate a smaller abbreviated year numbers but is doable. Wasn't sure what Andrew used for the pencil like effect so just left the sub-text as-is (which helps legibility at smaller scales anyway).

Example - best of.png
Example - best of.png (11.52 KiB) Viewed 41193 times
Example - top ten.png
Example - top ten.png (11.38 KiB) Viewed 41193 times

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

Specular wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:42 am Just noticed a small thing: the 2017 entries all have a quote character at the end of their URLs. Doesn't seem to affect returning the page but thought I'd mention it.
Fixed. Thanks!

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

Specular wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:47 am Have them vectorized with editable year text so updating it as necessary would be maintainable. Dual-years such as 2018-19 would necessitate a smaller abbreviated year numbers but is doable. Wasn't sure what Andrew used for the pencil like effect so just left the sub-text as-is (which helps legibility at smaller scales anyway).
They are great! Could you pls upload the SVG (or whatever vector format) for these so that I can update the years? Thanks!

Specular

#8 Post by Specular »

Andrew Lee wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:16 pmThey are great! Could you pls upload the SVG (or whatever vector format) for these so that I can update the years? Thanks!
Check PM for details. A GIF (click to play) of how to edit the label and year in a text editor, as described in the PM:

Example of how to hide or show the label and edit the year.gif

Some ideas of how the graphic could be alternatively styled either here or by a dev. The gradients below were added in an image editor after rasterization but PNGs could also be used as a CSS mask and styling added via CSS, on supported browsers.

Alternate styled examples.png
Alternate styled examples.png (15.35 KiB) Viewed 40772 times

Attachments
SVG.7z
(32.21 KiB) Downloaded 707 times

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

@Specular: Got your PM, and thanks for that! I am impressed by how much attention went into that graphic; I simply wouldn't have guessed if you didn't explain all of it to me.

I am also constantly surprised by the diverse pool of very talented people in our community. That's something we should all be proud of!

I will take the weekend to work out how best to incorporate the graphic into the page. We should all get to see it pretty soon.

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have updated the "Best of" page with the award stickies.

Comments/feedback welcome!

Specular

#11 Post by Specular »

Andrew Lee wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:27 am I have updated the "Best of" page with the award stickies.

Comments/feedback welcome!
Neat :) I notice the typeface for the year was changed, was there any problem you encountered with the steps or was it from wanting the different dual year style (ie: 'YYYY-YY') and not knowing how to change it that prompted it?

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

Specular wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:55 pm Neat :) I notice the typeface for the year was changed, was there any problem you encountered with the steps or was it from wanting the different dual year style (ie: 'YYYY-YY') and not knowing how to change it that prompted it?
No! I merely commented out the first bit that codes for the apostrophe, and change the offset slightly for the second:
<!-- <text y="10px" dy="0" transform="skewX(-11) scale(0.8 1.15)">
<tspan x="-1px" dy="0" dx="0">`</tspan>
</text> -->
<text y="-2px" dy="0" class="year-dual">
<tspan x="6px" dy="0" dx="0 -1 1 -1 -1">2018-19</tspan>
</text>
Also installed the TTF. Nothing else changed. What do you think I missed?

Inkscape screenshot attached.
Attachments
inkscape.png

Specular

#13 Post by Specular »

Andrew Lee wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:26 amNo! I merely commented out the first bit that codes for the apostrophe, and change the offset slightly for the second:

Also installed the TTF. Nothing else changed. What do you think I missed?

Inkscape screenshot attached.
Hmm, how odd since the font-family defined in the CSS within the SVG is properly detected on my Inkscape install (granted I used an older 0.91 version I happened to have still installed). Appears Arial is being used as a fallback rather than Verdana (the regular version of which I set in the CSS as a fallback).

Could check while the SVG is open in Inkscape using the Text tool, with the year text highlighted, whether the 'Extra Bold' version appears in the font list in the upper left drop-down. If it does it'd be possible to manually change the text to it from that same drop-down.

That said, I've attached all the generated PNGs with the original font and with the filenames you used for convenience. Included both the YYYY-YY and 'YY-YY formats for comparison. If need be I don't mind if I'm the person responsible to generate them each year, just let me know.
Attachments
PNGs.zip
(134.2 KiB) Downloaded 709 times

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:26 pm As discussed in this topic, I have added a "Best of" page to summarize the results of the annual poll that webfork has conducted over the years. See if you can find it! :D
That's really nice, thanks Andrew :)
Specular wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:47 am
Andrew Lee wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:16 pm Wasn't sure what Andrew used for the pencil like effect so just left the sub-text as-is (which helps legibility at smaller scales anyway).
They are great!
Agreed, these are fantastic. As are the alternate (gold and silver) versions. I never even considered putting together a graphic for this.

Specular

#15 Post by Specular »

webfork wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:58 pmAgreed, these are fantastic. As are the alternate (gold and silver) versions. I never even considered putting together a graphic for this.
Put together a zip of the gold/silver variants while I'm at it. Exported via Photoshop which made it quicker so didn't take long :)
Attachments
Gold-silver-variants.zip
(196.69 KiB) Downloaded 699 times