Discussion/critique of current anti-bot strategy during sign-up

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Midas

Re: NEW USERS PLEASE READ!

#16 Post by Midas »

lwc wrote: If you implement my idea, then users will find private private entries unintentionally and will then consider voting for them.

Not really my call even if I wanted to. Only Andrew Lee can make such changes. :|

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

lwc wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:05 am That's good to know, but it's not really common knowledge. It's not even mentioned in https://www.portablefreeware.com/options.php.
If you implement my idea, then users will find private private entries unintentionally and will then consider voting for them.
I suspect that Andrew will point out that the private entries are visible on the https://www.portablefreeware.com/options.php page under the Results Type: Private Only option, which is available for logged-in users.

I spend a lot of time digging through old database and forum entries as there are a lot of forgotten gems that are interesting, fun, or useful. Just in the last few days I've done quite a few "old thread updates" to try and inject some life into some in that group. But for the Private group, I only look through there once in a great while, as it tends to be a lot of programs either that may not work on Win10 or have been removed from the live group for a good reason (went commercial, not really portable, too niche and couldn't get votes, etc.). Is there a specific entry in the Private group you were trying to get back into the database?

lwc

#18 Post by lwc »

webfork wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:02 am Is there a specific entry in the Private group you were trying to get back into the database?
Yes, thanks:
  1. /index.php?id=2762
  2. /index.php?id=2887
  3. /index.php?id=2981

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

lwc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm
webfork wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:02 am Is there a specific entry in the Private group you were trying to get back into the database?
Yes, thanks:
  1. /index.php?id=2762
  2. /index.php?id=2887
  3. /index.php?id=2981
As you're the developer of AutoRun LWMenu, I understand that you'd want to get that added, but for the WinNMP entry, we might need to get with the developer to simplify the setup process.

lwc

#20 Post by lwc »

Oh, I've tried convincing him to no avail, but It's still a very awesome program.
What about the third program?

As for my own one, I've been using it for years. :D

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

lwc wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:29 am What about the third program?
I didn't have strong feelings one way or the other, only that it's a fairly old program that may not work with newer email systems or Windows 10.

Andrew Lee

#22 Post by Andrew Lee »

Maybe consider making private entries at least searchable. If you think it creates a loophole, then at least consider making them searchable by title only.
If the name of the program is "Foobar", and someone deliberately looks for "Foobar", then you'll be able to display it. Maybe add a "this is a private entry - if you found it useful, could you click here to vote to make it public?" message.
If we display private entries searchable by title, I am willing to bet that some unscrupulous people will start make common search keywords the titles of their private entries. :D

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote: I am willing to bet that some unscrupulous people will start make common search keywords the titles of their private entries.

And I am afraid you are absolutely right. These days, looks like you can't be too wary... :(

lwc

#24 Post by lwc »

webfork wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:02 pm I didn't have strong feelings one way or the other, only that it's a fairly old program that may not work with newer email systems or Windows 10.
Well, I can testify it works perfectly over Gmail and Outlook.com in Windows 10.
Just as importantly, it has no substitute. Too bad no one wants to take over its open source code.
Midas wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:29 am And I am afraid you are absolutely right. These days, looks like you can't be too wary... :(
Then I think we should think together about another way as the alternative of not accepting donated entries is just as problematic too.

Andrew Lee

#25 Post by Andrew Lee »

Then I think we should think together about another way as the alternative of not accepting donated entries is just as problematic too.
We already have one, which is to post it to the submission forum and see if the members here are interested enough to upvote it. It works just like open source! interested developers will pick up the source code if there is interest.

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:29 am Then I think we should think together about another way as the alternative of not accepting donated entries is just as problematic too.
It's true that writing up an entry takes time and effort, and that it's frustrating when something you think is excellent doesn't get the votes. I've had entries I built that never went live but the community has had a remarkably good record of picking good software. It's one of the reasons we are still popular after all these years. And even tools that don't go live are of course detailed in the forums, where they still get a lot of attention.

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

Oh and you're already on track with some of your recent posts, but I put together a list of suggestions around how to lobby for entry votes.