New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Andrew Lee

Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!

#91 Post by Andrew Lee »

@freakazoid: I suspect I messed something up between the test and production region. I made sure both regions are identical now with regards to this module, and verified the bug has been fixed. Thanks for reporting this!

JohnW

#92 Post by JohnW »

I've not been on PFC recently because of all the problems with the new design.
Have to say that it's now perfectly usable!
I am surprised that I have to run it in Compatibility View. (I'm on Vista Home Premium).

SYSTEM

#93 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnW wrote:I've not been on PFC recently because of all the problems with the new design.
Have to say that it's now perfectly usable!
I am surprised that I have to run it in Compatibility View. (I'm on Vista Home Premium).
As tproli already said, unconditional reload (Ctrl-F5) helps as well.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Wolfghost

Suggestion !

#94 Post by Wolfghost »

What about

to this

I think It's nicer look and less space :wink:

http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/flags/

tproli

#95 Post by tproli »

There is no "Languages" field, they can be added only to the "Description" section of the entry.
(though I would be happy to see a multilanguage field)

Wolfghost

#96 Post by Wolfghost »

oh ops I thought it was...........sorry :? Maybe in future :wink:

webfork

#97 Post by webfork »

Wolfghost wrote:oh ops I thought it was...........sorry :? Maybe in future :wink:
tproli suggested the idea a while back and some of the folks on the site (myself included) have taken it upon ourselves to update entries with Language information. I think language support is a sign of project maturity as well as long-term viability.

However, if we do go the flag route, I'd recommend it it for language-specific websites. I only say so because that's what I'd expect: there's semi-universal convention that when you click on a flag, it goes to something with that flag's language (British/American flag for English, Brazil for Portuguese, etc.). If you click on a flag and it's not in that native language or at least dual-lingual like WinPenPack's Italian+English combo, I think that would be confusing.

Ruby

#98 Post by Ruby »

Bug report: Please check the last comment (by Ennovy 2012-06-17 06:38) at DropIt
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1531

note: mouseover hyperlink

~Ruby

tproli

#99 Post by tproli »

Long link word-wrap issue in Chrome, fixed:
http://test.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1531

Wolfghost

#100 Post by Wolfghost »

webfork wrote:However, if we do go the flag route, I'd recommend it it for language-specific websites. I only say so because that's what I'd expect: there's semi-universal convention that when you click on a flag, it goes to something with that flag's language (British/American flag for English, Brazil for Portuguese, etc.). If you click on a flag and it's not in that native language or at least dual-lingual like WinPenPack's Italian+English combo, I think that would be confusing.
I like your idea and we should go for it :wink:

ToddSword

#101 Post by ToddSword »

I also agree with you...But in a fix for the term "semi-universal convention"? what does it mean?

webfork

#102 Post by webfork »

ToddSword wrote:I also agree with you...But in a fix for the term "semi-universal convention"? what does it mean?
Breaking it down:
  • Semi-universal: Something that almost everyone does regardless of language. (I say "almost" because anthropology shows there are very few universals across the human condition.)
  • Convention: In every instance of a mechanism, the interface is the same
Thus, clicking on the flag has an expected result in every software I've seen: going to the language associated with that flag (Japanese flag for Japanese, British flag for English, Brazil [usually] for Portuguese).

Midas

#103 Post by Midas »

I don't see why English is represented by the mother country flag (UK) and Portuguese gets the Brazilian flag -- what's the criteria in that?

webfork

#104 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:I don't see why English is represented by the mother country flag (UK) and Portuguese gets the Brazilian flag -- what's the criteria in that?
Association: more people connect Portuguese with Brazil just by the fact that their economy and population are much bigger than Portugal. For programs that can support it (e.g. Firefox and LibreOffice), there are subtle differences in both: US and Australian English (which would have an their respective flags) and of course Portugal for "official" (or whatever) Portuguese.

Midas

#105 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:
Midas wrote:I don't see why English is represented by the mother country flag (UK) and Portuguese gets the Brazilian flag -- what's the criteria in that?
Association: more people connect Portuguese with Brazil just by the fact that their economy and population are much bigger than Portugal.
Yes, I get that. But then, and following the same line of reasoning, English should be represented by the US flag, not the UK's... :roll: