New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
webfork

Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!

#106 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Yes, I get that. But then, and following the same line of reasoning, English should be represented by the US flag, not the UK's... :roll:
With exception, it's almost always Union Jack rather than the Stars and Stripes. I don't know exactly why that is but if I had to guess I'd say it's because India, Australia, and others still associate English with England. Maybe a legacy of colonialism, maybe because England is still a big player on the world scene where Portugul isn't. I dunno.

If we put something into play like that here on the site, I have no preference for either one.

Midas

#107 Post by Midas »

FYI, while it might not have the global dominance of English, Portuguese is the sixth major language in the world and besides Portugal and Brazil, it's the official language of countries like Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, São Tomé & Princípe, Angola, Mozambique, and East-Timor. It is also the major idiom of several other communities (akin to French status in Louisiana and Québec), mainly in the Far East (e.g., Macao, Goa and Malaca)...

guinness

#108 Post by guinness »

Midas wrote:Yes, I get that. But then, and following the same line of reasoning, English should be represented by the US flag, not the UK's... :roll:
Nice theory, but of course it's wrong.

ajfudge

#109 Post by ajfudge »

webfork wrote:
With exception, it's almost always Union Jack rather than the Stars and Stripes. I don't know exactly why that is but if I had to guess I'd say it's because India, Australia, and others still associate English with England. Maybe a legacy of colonialism, maybe because England is still a big player on the world scene where Portugul isn't. I dunno.
Maybe because English originated in England, the same way Portuguese originated in Portugal. Maybe I may have missed it, but I just don't see the Haitian flag representing the French language, and the Mexican flag or any of the Spanish-speaking Latin American countries for the Spanish language. :wink:

webfork

#110 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:
Nice theory, but of course it's wrong.
lol - where were you from again? ;)

guinness

#111 Post by guinness »

Greenland! :mrgreen:

webfork

#112 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:Greenland! :mrgreen:
lol