New "keywords" field

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
__philippe

Re: New "keywords" field

#16 Post by __philippe »

@System
SYSTEM wrote: Right now, because keywords are not displayed, improving search results is the only useful thing keywords can do. I have used not only variations of program names but also words people may search or even actually have searched[/url].
Fine, but again, what are the irrefutable arguments against displaying keywords ?

It might well be "Because that's the way it is !", which I would have to accept, of course, but I bet there are some subtler reasons which currently escape me. Just a newbie searching for Keywords revelation...;-)

__philippe

SYSTEM

#17 Post by SYSTEM »

__philippe wrote:@System
SYSTEM wrote: Right now, because keywords are not displayed, improving search results is the only useful thing keywords can do. I have used not only variations of program names but also words people may search or even actually have searched[/url].
Fine, but again, what are the irrefutable arguments against displaying keywords ?

It might well be "Because that's the way it is !", which I would have to accept, of course, but I bet there are some subtler reasons which currently escape me. Just a newbie searching for Keywords revelation...;-)

__philippe
"That's the way it is" is indeed a valid reason here.

Any kind of change requires work. AFAIK, Andrew hasn't started implementing your suggestions and the maintainers haven't started polishing keywords into a state where they could be publicly shown. ;)

Your suggestions would have to be implemented as a whole, and I'm afraid they wouldn't be worth the effort. :(
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

__philippe

#18 Post by __philippe »

SYSTEM wrote: What I tried to say is that if spaces in keywords won't be allowed (Remember: talk is cheap, but Andrew needs to do actual work if he'll implement any of this), each entry will have a "comical loose suite of disparate keywords" that you don't want visitors to see.
No spaces allowed in keywords, fine.
How about using "_" (underscore) or "-" hyphen instead to connect compound Keywords then ? (as in "file_search", for instance).

That should drastically reduce the dreaded comical potential of judiciously selected keywords... :wink:

Again, all of this is mere hypothetical ramblings, I am NOT suggesting to change the current search procedures whatsoever,
all this discussion started when I ventured to ask if Keywords values could, perhaps, be displayed with DB entries... :roll:

__philippe