Added Windows 11 to "Runs on" list

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Midas

Re: Added Windows 11 to "Runs on" list

#16 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote:
Midas wrote: install a custom ROM...
For me, it usually happens a couple of months after I get a new phone. I always start with "Let's give the stock ROM a chance this time", then some limitation crops up and I just have to root the phone.
Well, in fact, I do likewise, if only to get a feel of the default phone features and capabilities.

But, judging from the current device alone, that phase tends to end pretty quickly: although the 48MP MIUI camera was outstanding and hasn't been surpassed by any of the custom clones and competitors, the amount of system level ads, annoying/nagging features and sheer data exfiltration made the phone almost unusable to begin with (luckily, I was able to use another cheaper phone as daily driver) and put an end to the affair quite soon.

Considering it took me months to find a suitable alternative ROM, I'd be pretty content to stay with a lightly modded stock ROM, but that didn't cut it, also. Only now, a over year after I bought it, do I feel it's really usable and yet it still inflicts a few paper cuts I'd love to get fixed...
Andrew Lee wrote: I think people who use custom ROMs on their Android phones are like the 1%-ters. Within my circle of friends and acquaintances, I know of no one else who does it.
Same here -- and not for lack of advocating. Even my own sibling, kinda high-level tech consultant, is perfectly happy stuck inside Apple's walled garden...

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote: So in some news disappointing news Microsoft "Pluton" is looking like a TPM+DRM system being developed with AMD. The direction it suggests for Windows 11 and beyond is not encouraging.
And, if only to confirm our worst expectations, here's a further piece of (gloomy) analysis:
What was once a fraction of PCs with TPMs, is now approaching 100% because of the 2016 requirement change, and because of the Windows 11 mandate. In ~5 more years, almost all consumer PCs will have a TPM installed.
Google has had SafetyNet around for a while powered by ARM TrustZone, but is tightening the locks. Rooting your device invalidates SafetyNet, requiring complex workarounds that are gradually disappearing.

Currently, the only countermeasures that seem remotely viable is to get a Libre/Coreboot device. YMMV, though.

TL;DR I'll just repost the evil manager meeting meme included in the article...

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

What was once a fraction of PCs with TPMs, is now approaching 100% because of the 2016 requirement change, and because of the Windows 11 mandate. In ~5 more years, almost all consumer PCs will have a TPM installed.
Maybe Microsoft feels so confident in their hold over the PC market that they can make decisions like poor privacy and pushing DRM without repercussions and, since their only other primary desktop competitor Google is doing the same thing, it'll just become normal. That is very gloomy.

I've made several small moves towards Linux in years past. Maybe now is the time to push forward.

It's ironic that the Gates foundation is doing so much for earth-friendly initiatives, but if this goes forward, it will mean mountains of unnecessary e-waste for perfectly good hardware.

Midas

#19 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote: It's ironic that the Gates foundation is doing so much for earth-friendly initiatives, but if this goes forward, it will mean mountains of unnecessary e-waste for perfectly good hardware.
Excellent point. Yet another example of how our current predicament can't really be solved by the system that created it in the first place... :|

Midas

#20 Post by Midas »

Kind of off-topic, but as a follow-up to my post above concerning Android custom ROMs, here's none other than [allegedly?] Edward Snowden's own appraisal, mostly focused on GrapheneOS:
GrapheneOS has been the best Android experience I’ve had, especially on Pixel phones, in the last decade. It has never been so easy to unlock a device and install a custom ROM and the overall system is snappy, looks extremely sleek – especially using the pitch-black dark theme -– and coming from /e/OS I have not had any significant changes or discomforts that I had to adapt to. If you have any of the supported Pixel phones around and you’re using your smartphone as more of a tool and less of a lifestyle device, you should definitely give it a try right now.

Andrew Lee

#21 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:50 am Kind of off-topic, but as a follow-up to my post above concerning Android custom ROMs, here's none other than [allegedly?] Edward Snowden's own appraisal, mostly focused on GrapheneOS:
Thanks! This looks interesting. KIV

samport

#22 Post by samport »

Midas wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:50 am Kind of off-topic, but as a follow-up to my post above concerning Android custom ROMs, here's none other than [allegedly?] Edward Snowden's own appraisal, mostly focused on GrapheneOS:
GrapheneOS has been the best Android experience I’ve had, especially on Pixel phones, in the last decade. It has never been so easy to unlock a device and install a custom ROM and the overall system is snappy, looks extremely sleek – especially using the pitch-black dark theme -– and coming from /e/OS I have not had any significant changes or discomforts that I had to adapt to. the site review of kitty-glitter is here. If you have any of the supported Pixel phones around and you’re using your smartphone as more of a tool and less of a lifestyle device, you should definitely give it a try right now.
I was encouraged by Snowden's positive review of GrapheneOS. This looks like a great option for privacy-conscious Android users.