Portable Software that hasn't been developed?

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
guinness

Re: Portable Software that hasn't been developed?

#16 Post by guinness »

* Form-filling program. This is really something an AutoHotKey or AutoIt person could try to tackle. ArsClip (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=734) comes close, but I haven't been able to make the formfill tool work.
Not really, if the Program isn't designed using the Windows API for GUI creation then any use with AutoHotKey and AutoIt is rendered useless. This is why it can be difficult to read Programs such as Opera & Firefox (as an example!) Sorry webfork :)

I was trying to find an Example in the AutoIt Forum and came across this - http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic ... ordinates/

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:
* Form-filling program. This is really something an AutoHotKey or AutoIt person could try to tackle.
Not really, if the Program isn't designed using the Windows API for GUI creation then any use with AutoHotKey and AutoIt is rendered useless. This is why it can be difficult to read Programs such as Opera & Firefox (as an example!) Sorry webfork :)
Bummer but good to know -- thanks.

guinness

#18 Post by guinness »

actually, as a "software developer", if you want to call me that
Now you are on FreewareFiles :D

Lupo73

#19 Post by Lupo73 »

A software that I thought and never developed is an eBook manager. I don't know what good portable solutions exist, anyway we could think to create a simple program with a user-friendly interface, eventually able to integrate portable pdf readers like sumatrapdf (that may be integrated in it).

Edit: in alternative we could contact Calibre developer to portablize it :mrgreen:

Lupo73

#20 Post by Lupo73 »

Other ideas:
- an all-in-one desktop tool with zoom, iconizer, transparency manager, wallpaper changer, etc.
- an advanced file lister, given that new versions of Directory Lister are shareware
- a combined startup manger and scheduling tool, to define what apps start at system statup and when
- a combined file unlocker and process killer without external dependencies
- a combined shell manager and portable shell menu tool

Emka

#21 Post by Emka »

IMO there is no decent, leightweight and reasonably portable webbrowser beside Opera. Chrome, Firefox and Maxthon have too heavy footprints, Pale Moon is not functional with older processors, QtWeb seems buggy to me, K-Meleon doesn't seem to offer an up-to-date portable version, and finally IE frontends... are just IE frontends...

guinness

#22 Post by guinness »

IMO there is no decent, leightweight and reasonably portable webbrowser beside Opera.
I do agree with you that Opera is a pretty decent web browser. :)
Last edited by guinness on Fri May 06, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

olliebean

#23 Post by olliebean »

Lupo73 wrote:Edit: in alternative we could contact Calibre developer to portablize it :mrgreen:
There's this: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/portable.html

Seems to stay out of the registry AFAICT.

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

I recently had to reinstall one of my machines and I noticed that my list of non-portable programs was essentially a wishlist for this site:

Things that seem possible:
  • WinPT - the only GPG tool I can find that includes hot-key controls to speed up the process
  • Wuala - my backup tool of choice -- a portable version has been discussed on the site.
  • Syncplicity - something to sync Google Docs up with my machine. This has been posted over at portableapps, but there was no discussion.
  • Paint.net - this has been discussed at length and is unlikely to go portable. However, all I need is just one important feature: ability to overlay a graph-paper look and then zoom in so I can do basic mapping stuff.
  • Netdrive - treats remote FTP/SFTP like a system drive.
  • Google Calendar Sync - works with Outlook to sync my Rainlendar to Google Calendar. I had some difficulty making Rainlendar talk to Google's calendar sharing program so if there was a way around this, I could quit using this program.
Unlikely:
  • MYdefrag - AFAIK the best freeware defrag program. JKDefrag here on the site is its predecessor and works well enough for most applications. The author didn't seem interested in portability last time I checked.
  • SDexplorer - a Windows SkyDrive explorer, which I use for low-priority backups. 25 gigs was hard to pass up.
  • Flashfolders - a "frequently used" and "favorite" folders listing on every save/open dialog. The nature of the program seems pretty involved in the OS. A portable version seems unlikely. (this item is an edit -- was not in the post originally)
Last edited by webfork on Sun May 08, 2011 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added one more

olliebean

#25 Post by olliebean »

webfork wrote:
  • MYdefrag - AFAIK the best freeware defrag program. JKDefrag here on the site is its predecessor and works well enough for most applications. The author didn't seem interested in portability last time I checked.
See here: http://www.mydefrag.com/FAQUsing-HowToU ... Stick.html

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

The program according to other users here on the site writes to the registry. Will post a link Lupo participated in on the MyDefrag thread...

guinness

#27 Post by guinness »

Tested: Not Portable

Saves settings to HKCU\Software\MyDefrag

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

Hydaral wrote:2D and 3D CAD. I'm currently using DraftSight for 2D, it's not natively portable, but I've hacked together a wrapper for it. Blender is OK for general 3D, but it's very hard to draw things that are mm accurate.
Found one that might work:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... eCAD.shtml

I am Baas

#29 Post by I am Baas »

webfork wrote:
Hydaral wrote:2D and 3D CAD. I'm currently using DraftSight for 2D, it's not natively portable, but I've hacked together a wrapper for it. Blender is OK for general 3D, but it's very hard to draw things that are mm accurate.
FreeCAD is still in ALPHA state and not ready for production use
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/f ... =Main_Page

FreeCad writes to the registry @
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FreeCAD\FreeCAD\0.12
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FreeCAD\FreeCAD (I believe it's the window position, size, etc.)

And... the usual Trolltech junk.

Also, saves settings to Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\FreeCAD (system.cfg and user.cfg).

Could not quickly find a command to run in portable mode. See options @ http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/f ... ne_options

webfork

#30 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:
webfork wrote:
FreeCAD is still in ALPHA state and not ready for production use
New release out (0.11) and the alpha stage note has been taken down, but I didn't see anything in the changelog about cleaning up reg / appdata garbage.

I didn't say so before but thanks for checking, Baas.