Best of Gizmo's Freeware: The Portable Apps List

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
nasimahmed

Best of Gizmo's Freeware: The Portable Apps List

#1 Post by nasimahmed »

[Moderator note: this message has been edited to remove unrelated (probably spam) links at the bottom and update to the correct link from Gizmo (thanks Checker).]

---

This list provides a collection of portable apps from across Gizmo's Freeware and other sites. Portable freeware is an amazing development. They reduce problems with uninstalling software (you just delete them and don't have to worry about failed installs or incomplete uninstalls), they allow for extra flexibility in copying or moving software to different locations on a portable device or on a PC, and they help improve your privacy and security by running from portable devices like flash drives.

Take your "computer setup" with you, transfer your portable apps to a new computer just by copying and pasting them, or run them from a flash drive, say, at a library. I suggest starting a collection, or an army actually, of your favorite portable apps instead of trying to minimize the number of programs you install.

Portable apps allow me to keep every piece of free software that impresses me, and it frees me from worrying about which programs to keep. Portable freeware is getting very popular and is forcing software vendors to adjust their wasteful ways.

https://www.techsupportalert.com/best-f ... ograms.htm

guinness

Re: Best of Gizmo's Freeware: The Portable Apps List

#2 Post by guinness »

Where's the list?

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

No list. Just spam.

Checker

#4 Post by Checker »

I think he is talking about this site: http://www.techsupportalert.com/
On this site it's indicated if a portable version is available.
See for example: TagScanner (scroll down a bit to: "Quick Selection Guide")

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

Although this thread started out as spam, the link provided is still fairly up-to-date despite Gizmo getting shut down earlier this year.

Techspot also posted their list earlier this year and I have to agree with most of their suggestions. Also a good introduction / overview. Also, many of their editors picks have portable versions available.