yaP - yet another Portablizer

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
rbon

Re: yaP - yet another Portablizer

#331 Post by rbon »

:D Thank you very much :)
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Midas

#332 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:How would yaP decide what version you would like to launch?

yaP does not have if(-else) conditions, it can only differentiate between 32/64bit.
  • You can always ask for user input... :roll:

tproli

#333 Post by tproli »

That's a great tip, I haven't thought of such usage of {USERTEXT}, thanks! :)

Code: Select all

application = App\RegshotPortable{USERTEXT}.exe
You can enter "ANSI" or "Unicode" in the pop-up input box.
Perhaps it's even better to rename "RegshotPortableUnicode.exe" to "RegshotPortable.exe", so if you don't type anything to the input box, the unicode version will be launched. Otherwise you need to type "ansi" only.

rbon

#334 Post by rbon »

tproli wrote:That's a great tip, I haven't thought of such usage of {USERTEXT}, thanks! :)
Perhaps it's even better to rename "RegshotPortableUnicode.exe" to "RegshotPortable.exe", so if you don't type anything to the input box, the unicode version will be launched. Otherwise you need to type "ansi" only.
The reason that I need to launch ANSI is because Unicode version won't works on Windows 8.1 (it seems for me). :o

@Midas: thank You
@tproli: thank You again
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Midas

#335 Post by Midas »

:)

rbon

#336 Post by rbon »

Dear tproli,

I have tried TorrentRover - a torrent search engine for torrent sites that are not checked by Bit Che.
The site is http://www.torrentrover.com/ and You can download last 'portable' version: 0.23.1 beta. This 'portable' version is a simple self extracting (Microsoft) cabinet, but if You launch it, the destination folder (for example 'TorrentRover Portable') must exist before launch the self extracting archive.
When You launch it for first time, it create a subfolder TorrentRover with 2 (two) sub-subfolders:
- Download: for downloaded torrent
- Files: file with your search - it saves a file with name Rovers.trf (.TorrentRoverFile); this is a xml file and You can extract magnet link of Your search.
Here is my launcher, but there are 2 (two) keys that I cannot delete:
- .....TorrentRover_RASAPI32
- .....TorrentRover_RASMANCS

; configuration file for yaP v0.6.5 Beta 293 (http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/)
; application name: TorrentRover Portable
; application type: 32-64 bit (for Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1)
; version: 0.23.1 beta
; website: www.torrentrover.com
; suggested by: rbon

[GENERAL]
application = App\TorrentRover.exe
!dotnet = 3.5!

[BEFORE]
regkey = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TorrentRover_RASAPI32 :: {YAPROOT}\Settings\TorrentRover.reg
regkey = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TorrentRover_RASMANCS :: {YAPROOT}\Settings\TorrentRover.reg
regkey = HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\SQM\Apps\TorrentRover.exe :: {YAPROOT}\Settings\TorrentRover.reg
regkey = HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore :: {YAPROOT}\Settings\TorrentRover.reg

[AFTER]
-regkey = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TorrentRover_RASAPI32
-regkey = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TorrentRover_RASMANCS
-regkey = HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\SQM\Apps\TorrentRover.exe 
-regkey = HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStor
Do You can correct this launcher?
Thanks

tproli

#337 Post by tproli »

Try the 64bit version of yaP, perhaps that helps (concluding this from "Wow6432Node").
Also try launching yaP in admin mode if the latter didn't help. In general, HKLM needs admin rights (above XP I guess).

You will need to remove "Wow6432Node" segment from your registry paths if running the 64bit version.

http://windowsitpro.com/systems-managem ... try-subkey

Currently 32bit version of yaP cannot deal with 64bit registry nodes.

rbon

#338 Post by rbon »

Thanks for Your answer.
The solution was very simple :D
I have added the parameter '!admin' and the launcher works well.

So the correct snippet of this launcher is:

[GENERAL]
!admin = 1
!dotnet = 3.5!
Thanks again.

tproli

#339 Post by tproli »

Thanks, I got these two extra locations:
- I got user.config in %LocalAppdata%\TorrentRover
- Downloads default to %Documents%\TorrentRover

Don't you have these?

I had to add these to the BEFORE section:

dir = %LocalAppdata%\TorrentRover :: Config
dir = %Documents%\TorrentRover :: Files
Notes:
- you can abbreviate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER to HKLM, HKCU
- no need to add full path, relative paths also work: "Settings\TorrentRover.reg" instead of "{YAPROOT}\Settings\TorrentRover.reg"

rbon

#340 Post by rbon »

tproli wrote: Don't you have these?
Really I do not have seen these two extra locations.
Sorry. :oops:

Do You think to add this launcher to Your Example configurations?

Thanks.

tproli

#341 Post by tproli »

rbon wrote: Do You think to add this launcher to Your Example configurations?.
Sure, but I would like to make sure those extra locations are covered. So you have all your downloaded files and user.config in your application directory?

rbon

#342 Post by rbon »

Yes, I will test again the launcher with all modifications. :)

About downloaded torrents:
By default if You start 'TorrentRover' AND Your favorite client torrent is open, when You download a torrent (or magnet link) the client start automatically.
This depends from a setting:
-> Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> 'Automatically open downloaded torrent files'
if You deselect this parameter You have only downloaded torrents.

tproli

#343 Post by tproli »

I see, but this is custom user configuration setting, not applicable to everyone.

rbon

#344 Post by rbon »

Solved! :)
(I hope)

I think that You have tested the Install version of TorrentRover (Total Uninstall do not allows to test a portable version of a program).
I have installed the program (Setup) and I have found all folders that You write:

dir = %LocalAppdata%\TorrentRover :: Config
dir = %Documents%\TorrentRover :: Files
... but registry entries are different from these that I have found with portable version.
I have tested the Portable version of TorrentRover and I have not found these folders (checked again).
So User must:
1. create a yaP launcher structure (for example) '\TorrentRover Portable\App'
2. extract portable file 'TorrentRoverPortableSetup.exe' inside an existing folder: \App
3. start 'TorrentRoverPortable.exe' (the yaP launcher).
First start the portable program creates, in '\App' folder the file 'user.config', then when You insert a search, program create in
'\App' folder a subfolder 'TorrentRover' that contains two sub-subfolders:
- Download: for downloaded torrents (if You disable the automatic start of client)
- Files: contains the file 'Rovers.trf' with the name of search, but if you download only a torrent, the file contains data of
all torrents of search :o
So, for me, this yaP launcher is correct and I have added the note:
'This yaP launcher is only for Portable version of TorrentRover'.
Here is this launcher:

; configuration file for yaP v0.6.5 Beta 293 (http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/)
; application name: TorrentRover Portable
; application type: 32-64 bit (for Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1)
; version: 0.23.1 beta
; website: www.torrentrover.com
; suggested by: rbon
; This yaP launcher is tested only for Portable version of TorrentRover, also please:
; 1. create the yaP structure (for example): \TorrentRover Portable\App
; 2. download the file 'TorrentRoverPortableSetup.exe' and extract it in subfolder \App

[GENERAL]
!admin = 1
!dotnet = 3.5!

[BEFORE]
regkey = HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TorrentRover_RASAPI32 :: Settings\TorrentRover.reg
regkey = HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TorrentRover_RASMANCS :: Settings\TorrentRover.reg
regkey = HKCU\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\SQM\Apps\TorrentRover.exe :: Settings\TorrentRover.reg
regkey = HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore :: Settings\TorrentRover.reg

[AFTER]
-regkey = HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TorrentRover_RASAPI32
-regkey = HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TorrentRover_RASMANCS
-regkey = HKCU\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\SQM\Apps\TorrentRover.exe 
-regkey = HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore
Regards

tproli

#345 Post by tproli »

No, I was testing the portable version.

It was 'dotnetinspector.exe' that I deleted right after extracting because it seemed superfluous. The application checks for this file to run in portable mode but seemingly doesn't use it. If you delete it, settings will be saved to the host machine. Furthermore, deleting other files also prevents the application run in portable mode so I added a note on this in the ini.

Here it is:
http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/#examples/TorrentRover.ini

Thanks for the share!