yaP - yet another Portablizer

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
loin2kolpotoru

Re: yaP - yet another Portablizer

#406 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

Is there a yap launcher for Basilisk browser and if not please make one.

Midas

#407 Post by Midas »

That one surely counts as some of the more complex yaP launcher configurations on the record. As a WinPatrol user, I thank you for that, Rudy5. :sunglasses:

Midas

#408 Post by Midas »

From similar issues I have had in the past, I came to the conclusion that yaP can only do file operations on Windows text files (ANSI 125x encoded{?}) and silently fails on UTF8 and the like... YMMV. :confused:

And yes, I think tproli is still around... just not as active as before.

juverax

#409 Post by juverax »

giulia

how can i use yap to include the folder user\all\ ?

#410 Post by giulia »

Hi

i tried to make guitar pro 7 portable
it saves the soundbank ( lots of sounds ) to make it play more realistic here user\all\Arobas Music\Guitar Pro 7\Soundbanks\

I created a portable version with yap and it works but it can't find the soundbanks
I saved the soundbanks in the portable version
so the folder is h:\guitarpro 7
inside H:\guitapor 7 I moved Soundbanks folder

how can i edit yap config to let GuitarPro7.exe let read the internal folder Soundbanks like it's installed in user\all\Arobas Music\Guitar Pro 7\Soundbanks\ ?
thanks

giulia

#411 Post by giulia »

hi
why nobody does not want to help me
i moved the user\all\Arobas Music\Guitar Pro 7\Soundbanks\ inside the settings folder
just need to use yap to edit the ini and add to this folder ?

can somebody please help me?
thanks

lintalist

#412 Post by lintalist »

Perhaps you need to copy/move the files back and forth each times you run the program using a simple batch file as shown here:
viewtopic.php?p=21262#p21262
note that I'm not familiar with yap or Guitar Pro 7 but it seems logical

Midas

#413 Post by Midas »

Well, nothing good lasts forever... and today I got a taste of the end of yaP, by the looks of it. :(

On a desktop PC with Windows 10, MS Defender accused yaP -- 'NKV-P.exe' is nothing more than a renamed 'yap.exe' v0.7.1.5, with a changed icon to match the NKV image viewer -- of being a "Trojan:Win32/Sabsik.TE.A!ml", which even caused the machine to crash, something I hadn't seen in a long time.

I uploaded the culprit file to Virustotal, after trying in vain to find any info regarding the alleged Trojan (URL below).

The 16 out of 66 result doesn't look good at all, but I'm still quite sure it's a false positive -- along with yet another micro-push to disenfranchise the common user to fiddle with apps on their computers.

https://www.virustotal.com/
gui/file/88a0f349066b5d37b9339a59e11d1fec34aaf4bc686d0e9aa01724b318e09e7a

EDIT: AlternativeTo.net yaP page (https://alternativeto.net/software/yap/about/) also features a trojan alert...
Warning: The software contains trojan(s) and possibly other malware according to 9/53 anti-virus engines on VirusTotal: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/a4a4 ... 482435143/

freakazoid

#414 Post by freakazoid »

I still use some yaP'd apps and I'm not getting any Defender prompts.

LosslessCut is the one I use the most. Haven't changed the icon though.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#415 Post by Midas »

freakazoid wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:23 pmI still use some yaP'd apps and I'm not getting any Defender prompts.

Same here, this was an absolute first. But considering the scope, I'm not overly optimistic about it... :|

rbon

#416 Post by rbon »

Midas wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:53 am On a desktop PC with Windows 10, MS Defender accused yaP -- 'NKV-P.exe' is nothing more than a renamed 'yap.exe' v0.7.1.5, with a changed icon to match the NKV image viewer -- of being a "Trojan:Win32/Sabsik.TE.A!ml", which even caused the machine to crash, something I hadn't seen in a long time.
I created a version of yaP (x32 and x64) with the NKV icon and then I scanned it with Kaspersky Total Security: no threats detected.

I did so:
1. I extracted the icon from NKV with IconsExtract https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html
2. I started Resource Hacker:
-> File -> Open -> yaP.exe -> Icon -> Action (toolbar) -> Replace Icon -> Open file with new icon (choose nkv_1.ico) -> Replace -> File -> Save
--> the same procedure with yaPX64.exe.

(for details see on How-To-Geek: https://www.howtogeek.com/75983/stupid- ... .exe-file/)

Could you give it a try on Windows 10 ?
Attachments
NKV_yaP.rar
(91.42 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Midas

#417 Post by Midas »

rbon wrote: I created a version of yaP (x32 and x64) with the NKV icon and then I scanned it with Kaspersky Total Security: no threats detected.
Took me some time to re-check the worflow -- I usually extract icons with a portabilized BeCyIconGrabber (viewtopic.php?t=20928) and then change a copy of the 32-bit yaP executable with StarPunch PE Icon Changer (viewtopic.php?t=21358; sometimes, I use either PhrozenSoft QIcon Changer or Tete009's Program Icon Changer when PEIC fails with large size icons: are all pretty straightforward, plus support drag&drop), and never did I get such stark alerts.

rbon wrote: Could you give it a try on Windows 10 ?
I did and it works fine -- but bear in mind my portables folder is currently off limits to MS Defender in my Windows 10 desktop...

rbon

#418 Post by rbon »

Midas wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:04 am I did and it works fine ---
Very well.

Final words.
I had seen that in the yaP launcher there were (2) two icons.
Then I replaced 1 (one) icon and when saving the antivirus he told me that the new yaP file was a virus and deleted it.
Therefore it is necessary to replace both icons, open two .ICO files (it is possible to rename them as 1.ico and 2.ico) before pressing Replace and Save (with Resource Hacker).
I believe this is a rule with complex programs like yaP.exe (and yaPX64.exe).
Last edited by rbon on Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Login2

#419 Post by Login2 »

The solution when yaP is missing an abnormal exit (system crash, power failure, end of process, etc.).
When the starter exits abnormally, Starting again does not execute the "after" section first, Instead, the configuration file is copied to the system again, If you do not clean the previous configuration manually, it will leave a permanent residue on the computer.
The solution for "PortableApps.com Launcher" is to generate a temporary .ini file (PortableApps.comLauncherRuntimeData-App.ini) at launch time, and delete after normal exit.
This file will not be deleted when not properly exiting, And if the file is detected during the next startup, Only the "AFTER" section will be executed before restarting to avoid permanent residuals.
But unfortunately there is no 64-bit version of this launcher, Programs that use the 64-bit registry must write damn custom code and recompile the launcher files, This is very unfriendly to users who do not know how to program, And changing the launcher icon must be recompiled and cannot be done directly using a third-party program.
If yaP can fix the problem, This will make it the best portable starter.

-ElCoyot-

#420 Post by -ElCoyot- »

Hello friends.Can someone show an example of a portable program where the "workdir" variable is used.