DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
divinity666

Re: DropIt

#1456 Post by divinity666 »

@Acromark

Welcome and thank you for considering DropIt for your customer.
Acromark wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:30 am A customer of ours scans a lot of documents to PDF. All of which have a barcode in the top left corner. They need some software which will read the barcode and then rename the PDF file with the barcode as well as the current date.
Very interesting use-case. Up to now, we did not include a barcode option. Anyway it would be quite easy to integrate e.g. ZBar as a new action. I add it to the feature requests. If you would like to volunteer implementing, feel free to contact us.

Best regards
divinity666

mgerity

#1457 Post by mgerity »

mgerity wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:31 am Hello. I am trying to get DropIt to recognize two more date formats: MM/DD/YYYY and MM/DD/YY. These date formats are used on dozens and dozens of my documents, probably more than any other format.

I added

|%DAY% *\/ *%MONTH_NUMERIC% *\/ *%YEAR%

to the end of the settings.ini file, which DID work to get it to recognize MM/DD/YYYY, but it did NOT work to get it to recognize MM/DD/YY. I tried changing the year portion of my entry to

*%YEAR_LONG% and
*%YEAR_SHORT%

but neither approach worked. Any idea how to get it to recognize the two digit year as well?

My other question is about the normalized date format. I would prefer to have the normalized date presented as YYYY-MM-DD, with the dashes, but I cannot find any way to edit the normalized date presentation.

One important thing that I've discovered is that the order in which you list the various date formats you want it to recognize is very important. When multiple date formats are found in a single document, I've had DropIt pass by the first date and pull a later one because it was in a format found earlier in my list. In other words, it appears to search the entire document for dates it recognizes under the first format you list, and then go back thru again from the beginning looking for the next format you provide, and so on, until it finds a date it can recognize.

Therefore, you may have to move the various date formats around in your list to get it to prioritize the one you want.

mgerity

#1458 Post by mgerity »

mgerity wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:19 am My number one request for a feature enhancement to DropIt would be to allow for it to use a file content date OTHER THAN the first one. I have a number of documents (paychecks and bank/credit card statements in particular) where the first date in the file is the start date of the period, but it makes more sense to name the file with the end date or the check date, which are usually the second or third file content dates.

Is there any way to add SecondFileContentDate and SecondFileContentDateNormalized, or handle it the same way as the other FileContentMatch commands are handled, with numbers designating the incidence (FileContentDate1, FileContentDate2, etc)?
I see that another user's suggestion got a reply saying it would be added to the feature request list. Is there a way to add my suggestion to that list directly, or does that happen by just posting as I've done?

divinity666

#1459 Post by divinity666 »

mgerity wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:48 am One important thing that I've discovered is that the order in which you list the various date formats you want it to recognize is very important. When multiple date formats are found in a single document, I've had DropIt pass by the first date and pull a later one because it was in a format found earlier in my list. In other words, it appears to search the entire document for dates it recognizes under the first format you list, and then go back thru again from the beginning looking for the next format you provide, and so on, until it finds a date it can recognize.

Therefore, you may have to move the various date formats around in your list to get it to prioritize the one you want.
You discovery is absolutely right. Having said that, I am now thinking if the behaviour should be changed. On the other Hand, what is really the first file content date? We as human beings would expect the topmost one on the page. Searching through PDFs it could also be, that this date will be one of the last dates on the page from a technical perspective, as the PDF could contain columns.

Same could happen when having OCRed PDFs.

Thoughts?

divinity666

#1460 Post by divinity666 »

mgerity wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:52 am I see that another user's suggestion got a reply saying it would be added to the feature request list. Is there a way to add my suggestion to that list directly, or does that happen by just posting as I've done?
Absolutely. And this is also the desired way to go. You can directly enter new feature requests or bugs to our sourceforge ticket system: https://sourceforge.net/p/dropit/_list/tickets

Dingens

#1461 Post by Dingens »

Hey
Thanks for a great piece of software. One question: Is there a way to change how the %FirstFileContentDateNormalized% is displayed? So far, all my files have: 2018_08_27, Dropit uses 20180827. Any chance to change this anywhere?
Thanks
Rolf

apru

#1462 Post by apru »

New to the program and like what I see. I am a hobby programmer at best. I searched the forums with no success and read the tutorials but still a little confused with the exclusion rules. I have a folder that contains a series of subfolders that contain files (some I want to exclude) and another subfolder which contains files (some I want to exclude). Do I have to write a series of rules for the files I want to include, so the files I dont want are excluded, or can I write a rule for all files, but exclude the string specific files, which Im trying to do below.

right now I have 2 associations
Association 1- Rule 1: ** (for all folders)
Association 2 -Rule 1: *;/*sample_info* (trying include all files with files containing *sample_info* excluded. In this example, sample_info is within the second subfolder. Thanks.

apru

#1463 Post by apru »

NVM. I understand it now.

apru

#1464 Post by apru »

Is it possible to write an abbreviation for the date format of yyyymmdd for the date of yesterday for monitoring based on the system time? Example: current day is 20180830, monitor the folder for yesterday (C:]data\20180829) based on system time, so at midnight, the folder adjusts each day. I am also monitoring the current day folder using c:\data\%currentyear%%currentmonth%%currentday%.

apru

#1465 Post by apru »

apru wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:36 pm Is it possible to write an abbreviation for the date format of yyyymmdd for the date of yesterday for monitoring based on the system time? Example: current day is 20180830, monitor the folder for yesterday (C:]data\20180829) based on system time, so at midnight, the folder adjusts each day. I am also monitoring the current day folder using c:\data\%currentyear%%currentmonth%%currentday%.
NVM. Dived into the opensource code and got it with below. Had problems adding it the list, so I just replaced the current second coding within main and abbreviations coding with this...
;~ Local $Yesterday = _DateTimeFormat(_DateAdd('d', -1, _NowCalcDate()), 2)
Local $Yesterday = _DateAdd('d', -1, _NowCalcDate())
; Split DTG
$aYesterday = StringSplit($Yesterday, "/")
; Reassemble in desired order
$sYesterdayFormatted = $aYesterday[3] & $aYesterday[2] & $aYesterday[1]

Great program!!

bnewbold

Re: DropIt - Automatic Archiving

#1466 Post by bnewbold »

Hi DropIt folks.. LOVE the program!

I can't find a feature or reference to it on the forum here, so here's my question/request:

Is there a button or method to fire off automatic archiving manually?
My archive scripts are set to fire every 2 hours, but when I am adjusting the file associations and such I'd like to manually launch auto archiving.
Is there already a way to do this?
If not, a feature request would be the inclusion of a button in the association setup screen.
And a menu addition so when the DropIt task bar icon is right-clicked, you can run from there.

And to contribute a little.,just in case you might find it useful, I've got a REALLY powerful scenario set up: Auto archiving my iPhone pictures and videos.
1. On my iPhone I have Dropbox set up to automatically archive all pictures and movies (standard dropbox feature). Everything gets dumped to my Dropbox.
2. On my laptop I have Dropbox, automatically syncing (standard dropbox feature). Everything gets copied onto my laptop.
3. Using DropIt, automatic archiving w/proper associations (.jpg, .mov, .mp4, etc.) moves ALL my pictures out of the dropbox folder and into a separate iPhone Pictures folder elsewhere.

When DropIt moves my pics, DropBox thinks I deleted them and proceeds to remove them from its cloud storage and all other devices. It does not however remove from my iPhone's camera roll, which is perfect since I only want to manually delete my photos.

Now when I'm out and about, I take as many videos and pictures of everything as I want! I know at the end of the day they'll eventually be migrated to my laptop storage and my dropbox will remain clear and ready for the next batch. When I know it's all sync'd up I can just delete any and all pics/vids manually from my phone to create more space when needed.. round-robin'ing the data through the cloud and never having to be plugged in to download anything.

It's brainless, it just works, and it's all thanks to DropIt! So again.. THANK YOU!
(just wish I had that manual-fire button to force it to auto-archive)

Midas

#1467 Post by Midas »

Welcome to the forums, bnewbold and thanks for the input -- great and simple Droppit use case you detailed there. 8)

apru

#1468 Post by apru »

petersh wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:58 am I am running DropIt on Win 7 pro.
Normally I run the program to upload my files.
Today I found that I can't see any DropIt window after opening it.
I see the program on the task manager. I ended it and open DropIt again but it still not show.
What can I do now?
Check your settings file. It may be set to hide on startup via glass/true. I don’t have the program in front of me but I recall there may be a setting.

gideonse

#1469 Post by gideonse »

I have been using DropIt on my Windows 10 PC and recently it has been eating up 25-35% of my CPU, even when it should be idle. I have to keep it off to do any other work, which defeats the purpose of it. Does anyone have a similar problem or suggestions for fixing it? Thanks!

zuby

#1470 Post by zuby »

Hi
I have just started out using Dropit and I am very impressed with its capabilities so far. I have come up against a problem that someone may be able to offer me some advice on.

I am trying to use filter that imports the first date from a pdf and uses the date in the form yyyymmdd.
The problem I have is that the original date in the pdf am trying to import from is in the form 01 December 2018..

I have tried adding the following date form to system.ini
|%DAY%* *%MONTH_LITERAL%* *%YEAR%|

This produces an error UnknownContendFirstDateNormalised.

Can anyone suggest a solution ?
Thank you.