DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
roymond

Re: DropIt

#1381 Post by roymond »

I love the simplicity of DropIt, and want to use it to monitor a folder, automatically opening any new file moved there. All this works great. However, it is re-opening the same files over and over again with each polling cycle. I simply want to view them once, then ignore them.

1. DropIt polls a watch folder every 5 seconds
2. A new file is moved into the watch folder
3. DropIt detects the new file and opens it according to defined associations
4. DropIt polls the folder but only opens new files that arrive, ignoring old ones

Is this possible?

ProphetSe7en

#1382 Post by ProphetSe7en »

I am trying to get this to work, but I cant figure out how to set my filter.

I want to move folders containing .mkv to a different folder.

This works by using

Code: Select all

**;*.mkv
What i don`t want is to move folders that has rar archive inside. The problem is that these folders usually contains a "nameofthemoviesample.mkv that triggers my move folder filter.

So then i Tried to exclude folders that has a folder named "sample" inside by using

**/**Sample**;*.mkv
but then nothing happens regardless of there is a sample folder or not. Perhaps I want to use

**;*.mkv/**Sample**
?

So is it possible to get this done?

ProphetSe7en

#1383 Post by ProphetSe7en »

So I gave up my initial attempt to get this to work. Now I am trying to get Dropit to move all folders. The problem is when the folder I want to move contains a subfolder. Then dropit ignores the entire folder.

Can I make Dropit move all folders, including subfolders using the monitoring function?

divinity666

#1384 Post by divinity666 »

roymond wrote:I love the simplicity of DropIt, and want to use it to monitor a folder, automatically opening any new file moved there. All this works great. However, it is re-opening the same files over and over again with each polling cycle. I simply want to view them once, then ignore them.

1. DropIt polls a watch folder every 5 seconds
2. A new file is moved into the watch folder
3. DropIt detects the new file and opens it according to defined associations
4. DropIt polls the folder but only opens new files that arrive, ignoring old ones

Is this possible?
@roymond:
I think there is no proper way for achieving that today, but fortunately I just added a feature for DropIt >8.3, which will monitor the folder and only process added files once. So this might be the solution for you. Though this will only work properly then, if DropIt is always online when files are added. If you are monitoring a network drive and your computer is turned off over night and you would like to see what happened from others during your absence, this will not work either...

An idea for now could be: use the Date Opened or Date Modified filters for you Open With rule. If you sync these with your Monitoring cycle, you might get a quite good result.

divinity666

#1385 Post by divinity666 »

ProphetSe7en wrote:So I gave up my initial attempt to get this to work. Now I am trying to get Dropit to move all folders. The problem is when the folder I want to move contains a subfolder. Then dropit ignores the entire folder.

Can I make Dropit move all folders, including subfolders using the monitoring function?
@ProphetSe7en:

I had a deeper look at your request. Basically your attempts to filter folder AND their contents is simply not possible (at the moment).

Your idea using

**;*.mkv
is basically translated to:
All folders OR all files ending with mkv. So this does not lead to a satisfying result.

**/Sample
stuff is not working, because only the folder names are taken into account (see also my first statement).

Having said that: Your last request to simply move all folders, also the ones including subfolders should be simple. Your rule should look like:

Then DropIt will move all folders, regardless of any content or folder names.

Cap.LKL

#1386 Post by Cap.LKL »

ProphetSe7en wrote:So I gave up my initial attempt to get this to work. Now I am trying to get Dropit to move all folders. The problem is when the folder I want to move contains a subfolder. Then dropit ignores the entire folder.

Surely, i'm not the smartest guy there... but i crashed into same issue for every action that involves subfoldern. E.g.: can't create a zip with folder\subfolder\file.
Speaking of zip, there is a way to create just a single .zip for multiple files? Dragging two or more files on DropIt icon results in file1.zip, file2.zip and so on.

ProphetSe7en

#1387 Post by ProphetSe7en »

divinity666 wrote:
Having said that: Your last request to simply move all folders, also the ones including subfolders should be simple. Your rule should look like:

Then DropIt will move all folders, regardless of any content or folder names.
I did try this. It works as long as the folder dont have a subfolder. I tried booth

*;**
and

Lets say I want to monitor a folder on my plex server. I want to move all content from Temp to Radarr.

This is what works:

File "movie.mkv" is being created and successfully moved.
Folder "movie" with "movie.mkv" is being created and successfully moved.

This don`t work:

Folder "movie" with "movie.mkv" is beeing created. In folder "movie" there is an additional folder for "sample" or "subs". Since there is one or more subfolders Dropit completely ignore the folder "movie" and all of it`s subfolders.

I have tested this several times. Add a folder with a subfolder and it is ignored. If I delete the subfolder then the rest is being moved.

divinity666

#1388 Post by divinity666 »

Ok, I tried the following setup with success:

DropIt Release 8.3

Profile "Test" with 1 Association configured like this:
-Name: Move
-Rules: **
-Action: Move
-Destination Folder: <<path_to_local_destination>>

Configured monitoring with <<path_to_local_source>> with associated profile "Test".

In <<path_to_local_source>> I tested the following file structures:

a)
movie\sample\
movie\movie.mkv

b)
movie\sample\

c)
sample\
movie.mkv

d)
Temp\movie\sample\
Temp\movie\movie.mkv

Everything moved correctly (except in c) the file was not moved, which is correct according the association rule...).

Please tell me, what I am doing different than you do...

Regards

divinity666

#1389 Post by divinity666 »

@Cap.LKL:

I also tested your case also with success.
Cap.LKL wrote:Surely, i'm not the smartest guy there... but i crashed into same issue for every action that involves subfoldern. E.g.: can't create a zip with folder\subfolder\file.
DropIt Release 8.3

-Name: Compress
-Action: Compress
-Destination Folder: <<path_to_local_destination>>\files.zip (specific destination file)

Configured monitoring with <<path_to_local_source>> with associated profile "Test".

In <<path_to_local_source>> I tested the following file structure:

temp\movie\sample\
temp\movie\movie.mkv
temp\movie\movie1.mkv
temp\movie\movie2.mkv

=> The files, including the empty folder, are zipped to the configured destination.
Cap.LKL wrote:Speaking of zip, there is a way to create just a single .zip for multiple files? Dragging two or more files on DropIt icon results in file1.zip, file2.zip and so on.
This is possible. simply specify the association properly, e.g.
-Name: Compress
-Rules: * (only one asterisk for files!)
-Action: Compress
-Destination Folder: <<path_to_local_destination>>\files.zip (specific destination file)

What's different to your setup?

Regards

Cap.LKL

#1390 Post by Cap.LKL »

@divinity666:
Thank you very much, i tried with you rules, but yet it can't recreate folder and subfolder: the action for single file compression works well, but it just extracts files from directories, avoiding any nesting. From Test.ini:

[Compress single file]
State=Disabled
Rules=*
Action=$3
Destination=D:\File\7z\Archivio.7z
CompressSettings=False;7z;5;LZMA;None;

Neither compression with subfolders works for me, just nothing happens. Here the settings:

[Compress]
State=Enabled
Rules=**
Action=$3
Destination=D:\File\7z\Archivio.7z
CompressSettings=False;7z;5;LZMA;None;

Maybe issues are related to ScanSubFolders and FolderAsFile settings?
From my settings.ini:

ScanSubfolders=True
FolderAsFile=False

Thanks again.

Ocoee

How To Use Dropit

#1391 Post by Ocoee »

Hi,

Just downloaded dropit and have a vague idea how it works. Want it for what I hope is a simple task, but can't figure out all the setting. I have large photo files that I want automatically copied to a separate drive. I see how to use monitoring, but have two problems: 1) I want it to act automatically, right now it keeps asking if I want to copy. 2) I want it to sync the copied folder to the original. right now all I see as an option is skip or overwrite. If it overwrites, will it have to copy all photos each time or will it just drop in the new photos?

thanks

divinity666

#1392 Post by divinity666 »

@Cap.LKL:
Ok. So the single file compress is ok now. That's fine.

Anyway I am not able to understand the subfolder compress stuff... I used exactly the same settings as you did and it worked like a charm (settings.ini and association)... I also deleted the settings.ini to be sure, that nothing special is set (except the monitoring) and it worked directly.

Could you please also try it with a fresh settings.ini, just to be sure that it has nothing to do with the settings? Are you trying to compress stuff on local disc or network drive? I tried on local drive for now.

I'm a bit :?

Cap.LKL

#1393 Post by Cap.LKL »

@divinity666:
Just deleted settings.ini, waiting for program to create a new one... and it worked at first try!
Sorry for the waste of time and thanks, again.

divinity666

#1394 Post by divinity666 »

@Cap.LKL:
It's not a waste of time. It would be interesting to find out, which setting is probably causing the error.

If you face the problem again, please let us know.

Regards

ProphetSe7en

#1395 Post by ProphetSe7en »

divinity666 wrote:Ok, I tried the following setup with success:

DropIt Release 8.3

-Name: Move
-Action: Move
-Destination Folder: <<path_to_local_destination>>

In <<path_to_local_source>> I tested the following file structures:

a)
movie\sample\
movie\movie.mkv

b)
movie\sample\

c)
sample\
movie.mkv

d)
Temp\movie\sample\
Temp\movie\movie.mkv

Everything moved correctly (except in c) the file was not moved, which is correct according the association rule...).

Please tell me, what I am doing different than you do...

Regards
I removed Dropit and deleted all folders. I then installed it and configured it from scratch. Now it works somehow. I have the same settings, so I am not sure why it didnt work before.