DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Lupo73

DropIt

#1 Post by Lupo73 »

[Moderator note: DropIt is no longer in development but there is a thread where some Dropit alternatives are listed.

This is the official thread for the DropIt entry.

[/note]

---

DropIt (v8.5)
http://www.dropitproject.com/

DropIt is a simple floating target image on your desktop you can drag-and-drop files onto to quickly process them with a predefined action. It supports 21 different actions: Move, Copy, Compress, Extract, Rename, Delete, Split, Join, Encrypt, Decrypt, Open With, Print, Upload, Send by Mail, Create Gallery, Create List, Create Playlist, Create Shortcut, Copy to Clipboard, Change Properties and Ignore. A destination can be chosen for each association defined, as well as group associations in different profiles.
The program allows to create rules to filter files based on name, directory, size, date, properties, content or regular expressions. For existing files in destination folders can be defined if overwrite, skip or rename them. It includes multi-language interface, folder monitoring, shared folders support, SendTo and Command-Line support, environment variables support, automatic update, and much more.

Stealth: Yes
License: Open Source GPL
System Requirements: Win2K / WinXP / Vista / Win7 / Win8 / Win10

This is a list of main included features:
- Drag-and-Drop: Process files and folders simply dropping them on the target image
- Filter Files & Folders: Filter files and folders by name, directory, size, dates, properties, content or regular expressions
- Folder Monitoring: Process files and folders automatically monitoring defined directories
- 21 Actions: Move, Copy, Compress, Extract, Rename, Delete, Split, Join, Encrypt, Decrypt, Open With, Print, Upload, Send by Mail, Create Gallery, Create List, Create Playlist, Create Shortcut, Copy to Clipboard, Change Properties, Ignore
- Profiles: Collect associations in different profiles and assign an image to each profile to easily recognize it
- Comprehensive Path Support: Support absolute paths, relative paths, UNC paths for shared folders, FTP/SFTP for uploading
- Abbreviations: Support internal, custom and system environment variables
- Alternative Usages: Support SendTo and Command-Line to process files and folders
- Multi-language: Available with multi-language interface
- Profile Encryption: Support encryption to protect your profiles with a password
- Activity Log: Support log file creation to verify sorting operations
- Automatic Update: Support automatic software update
- Unicode: Support for Unicode encoding
- Optimized Versions: Available in both installer and portable versions for 32/64-bit Windows
For general uses DropIt can replace several apps:
MONITORING: Belvedere, RoboTask...
MOVE/COPY: FastCopy, TeraCopy...
COMPRESS/EXTRACT: 7-Zip, PeaZip, IZArc2Go...
ENCRYPT/DECRYPT: dsCrypt, Drag'n'Crypt ULTRA, MAXA Crypt Mobile...
RENAME: ReNamer, Bulk Rename Utility, Rename Master...
DELETE: Eraser, UltraShredder, WipeFile...
UPLOAD: FileZilla, WinSCP, DropUpLoad...
OPEN WITH: Coffee, C.A.F.E., eXpresso...
CREATE GALLERY: Porta, zphoto...
CREATE LIST: dirhtml, Directory Lister, File List Generator...
CREATE PLAYLIST: M3U Dropper...
CHANGE PROPERTIES: BulkFileChanger, NewFileTime...
CALCULATED HASH: HashMyFiles, Hasher, md5hash...
REMOVE EMPTY: Remove Empty Directories, Remove Empty Folders...
Obviously it could has less specific features if compared with these apps, but the unified and user-friendly interface allows to manage all these features together and automate them.

This software is born from an user request of this forum. Write here for additional requests or to help me to develop these features!
Last edited by Lupo73 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 am, edited 73 times in total.

kuihdez

Re: DropIt

#2 Post by kuihdez »

THIS IS GREAT !!!!

I have a lot of ideas for you :

Filters ...

You assign a filter, based on file type, or portions of file names, and a destination folder. and the app does the rest.

Always on top that really stays on top options.

An option to scan a specific folder and apply the rules. If no rule apply, then it puts it in the "TO DO" list where you can have a list of files and on the right, the folders TOP 10 that you use with DROPIT, so you have a highlighted file, and you can click on the folder you want it moved to then the app moves to the next unknown folder.

Also, you can have a file list on the left, and do it the manual way where you put all your folders in favs, and you click to the folder you want it moved.

cheers and congrats on your app

donald

#3 Post by donald »

Lupo 73 your application is great, but when I upgraded to a newer release I found something new.

I just updated from Positioner to the newest version of the software, your last release.

I would like to mention that I now have a taskbar button when the application is running.(By taskbar button I mean the thing that shows on the taskbar when you open a window.)

I would like to point out that if this is not needed for some reason (I do not believe it was present in previous versions (when named Positioner)), that it would be nice to save that taskbar real estate by offering a shutoff or a icon mode. (Not the hide function which is very nice by the way but something that would allow the screen icon to show but without the taskbar button.)

What I mean, I would like to run Dropit without showing a taskbar button if possible, but still be able to use it, instead of a taskbar button it could show an icon (just like the one it uses when hiding but without hiding), as many applications do when hidden but without hiding the screen icon,

I would love this as an option.

Failing this I will gladly start using the last version of Positioner that I have which might not show a taskbar button.

Thanks Lupo the application is great and I love it.

appreciative

#4 Post by appreciative »

I would like to point out that [TaskBar button] is not needed for some reason (I
As I suggested in the old thread I too find this a redundant function.

But, I have also noted in the latest version is that you can have multiple instances of DropIt open which too is redundant (duplication). I cannot see any benefit of having more than one instance open since both do the same thing and use the same ini file (unless, two separate directories are used and for different purposes). I am sure this can be turned off by checking if it is already open for everyday use.

All of these are of course, just fine-tuning issues and the software meets its own expecations already. Perhaps in this regard the Options menu might provide two level managment: "simple" and "advanced". For my needs it already does all I need - simple. Others are already suggesting a filtering system (which is fine) - but this is an advanced function.

Again, Thanks

Lupo73

#5 Post by Lupo73 »

I have fixed both issues you report me (software shown in taskbar and multiple instances). About the two options modes instead, I think I'll keep it like now because I don't want to make this software too complex to use. Anyway in future releases I could consider to add more features like command lines support.

Thanks for all your advices. :wink:

Lupo73

#6 Post by Lupo73 »

ChangeLog Version 0.5.2 [22-10-2009]
- added feature to ask each drop if copy or move files
- disabled support of multiple instances
- some minor improvements
- fixed some bugs

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

This is a cracking program, literally update my USB stick with version 0.5.1 and then find you have posted 0.5.2 after pulling my stick out of the computer. I like the philosophy of keeping it simple!!

appreciative

#8 Post by appreciative »

Re: Creeping icon in XP Service pack 2.

The DropIt icon, does not maintain its position on my setup on computer restart. What it does is to creep down progressively on each restart even when "Lock Software Position" is checked.

For example:

1. If I set icon position position PosX=0; PosY=0 on the x:y axis, on restart, it drops to position PosX=104; PosY=197 on first restart and then progressively downwards vertically each restart after that.

Now, this might be specific to my system setup. But, I did a fresh install yesterday of XP for reasons nothing to do with DropIt, and the behavior persists. This is not critical for me, I offer it only as an observation. Though this behavior has been present in all previous releases.

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss »

@appreciative: do you, by any chance, use a powerpro deskbar? This happens for me with many applications windows (like hashmyfiles for example, and also DropIt - although in DropIt's case it might be only a simple bug).

Lupo73

#10 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks, I'll check this issue and try to fix it in the next release. :wink:

appreciative

#11 Post by appreciative »

Thanks for the replies joby_toss and Lupo73 - I have more info that might help.

Firstly in regard to"powerpro deskbar" - no I don't use it. I run a basic XP (standard).

New information...

If I set the 0:0 coordinates directly into the ini file, it does not move at startup. It does if I move it into that position with the mouse.

But, here's the catch, whether I set coordinates in the ini file or position it by mouse, it starts to move again at startup if I "hide" (minimize) DropIt or of I deactivate then activate "Lock software image position" (again in DropIt).

Hope this helps.

Lupo73

#12 Post by Lupo73 »

I'm trying to fix the issue, make a test with this unofficial pre-release and write me if it works fine or not (this is only the exe, replace the previous one with this):
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/DropIt.exe

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

0.5.3 beta has the same bug, but this time the floating icon remains inside the desktop limits (different positions each time), unlike 0.5.2 which slipped out.

Lupo73

#14 Post by Lupo73 »

It's very strange, because I found the previous bug, but now it works fine for me. Try to use it, without any ini editing, and verify if the issue persist. In this case try to give me more info to understand the problem.

http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/DropIt.zip

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

Deleted old folder, redownloaded, no settings changed...still happens for me (winxpprosp3x86). The icon has different position every new start.