DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
webfork

Re: DropIt

#1501 Post by webfork »

fdbryant3 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm Is it possible to have Dropit parse a filename and add that information to an Excel spreadsheet?
If not I'd appreciate suggestions or tool recommendations to do this. Thanks.
You might look into RoboIntern for this.

rojdropit

#1502 Post by rojdropit »

Hey all, just found this and wondered whether it could solve my (easy) problem, I'm thinking of using this as a pretty front-end to some a command_line only program.

What I want to do is pass *ALL* the dropped files to one command. That's how the program works. That's all I need it to do. The parameter would need to be able to be changed if needed.

For example:

myprogram.exe -a_parameter file1 file2 file3 fileX

I can only see that it can pass individual files sequentially

myprogram.exe -a_parameter file1
myprogram.exe -a_parameter file2
myprogram.exe -a_parameter file3

Am I missing something? Or does anyone have any tips for another simple and pretty (like dropit) program launcher, I currently use a .bat script that I can drop files on but that is UGLY (and non-floating). I've tried FileMenuTools, which is fine, but not very portable.

kirsty

#1503 Post by kirsty »

This is exactly the same thing I came here to ask.

I need to use the Open With action to pass all dropped files in one action instead of running the action once for each file. So if I drop three files, I need the program to run:

Code: Select all

myprogram.exe "path\file1.ext" "path\file2.ext" "path\file3.ext"
instead of:

Code: Select all

myprogram.exe "path\file1.ext"
myprogram.exe "path\file2.ext"
myprogram.exe "path\file3.ext"

cahical

#1504 Post by cahical »

Dear Forum,
I am using DropIt tool to perform one click action - move selected files to a pre-defined destination. But I would like to also change file permission - make files READ ONLY - before moving them.
Therefore my question is - How to perform two sequential actions actions on the same files with a single click ?
I know that it is possible to create two profiles in DropIt - first profile to change file permission and - second to move files. But, I would like to achieve two actions sequentially with in a single profile, like a pipe.
Thanks, cahical

rudymm

#1505 Post by rudymm »

hello, so i was wondering if there was anyway to extract an archive with the extracted file renamed to match the name of the archive. for example "archive.zip" has a file named "file.dat" and i want it extracted so it ends up being "archive.dat". basically, i have a directory with many zip files and i need to extract them all, and have their file names match the name of the zip file while retaining their own extension. is there a way to automate this using Dropit? I apologize if this seems pedestrian, but i don't have much if any experience with this sort of thing. thanks for any help in advance!

rudy

vevy

#1506 Post by vevy »

rudymm wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:32 am hello, so i was wondering if there was anyway to extract an archive with the extracted file renamed to match the name of the archive. for example "archive.zip" has a file named "file.dat" and i want it extracted so it ends up being "archive.dat". basically, i have a directory with many zip files and i need to extract them all, and have their file names match the name of the zip file while retaining their own extension. is there a way to automate this using Dropit? I apologize if this seems pedestrian, but i don't have much if any experience with this sort of thing. thanks for any help in advance!

rudy
A couple of quick questions:
  • Do you have to do this with DropIt? If yes, don't bother with the rest of the questions!
  • Is this a one-time thing or do you expect to have to do this periodically? I think I may be able to stitch together a working solution, but to be honest, it probably won't be the most efficient. I have a lot on my plate currently.
  • Do you have to do it with the built-in windows tools or are you open to using third-party tools?

rpack82

#1507 Post by rpack82 »

Hi All,

I've been using Dropit for a while to help organize my photo and music collection. For music, I typically use a Rename action with a destination similar to "C:\Music\%SongArtist%\%SongAlbum%\%SongArtist% - %SongTitle%.%FileExt%".

However, on several occasions (such as compilation albums, soundtracks or songs featuring other artists), I've wanted to use an Abbreviation for %AlbumArtist% instead of %SongArtist% in the folder name. I've tried making a Custom Abbreviation, but I can't determine how (or whether its possible) to link directly to the file metadata.

Any help or advice on this would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Last edited by rpack82 on Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roadlink

#1508 Post by roadlink »

Hello,

I have 2000 files in a folder.
I need to put them seperate folders and 10 files for each.

folder01(has 10 files)
folder02(has 10 files)
etc

Is it possible to make it?

OnzaRain

#1509 Post by OnzaRain »

hi!
How to make automatic sending of files to email? So that I am not asked to confirm the sending of the file by email?

jfferreira

#1510 Post by jfferreira »

Hello,
Seems no developer has replied to any posts in some time now. But anyway maybe someone else can help with this.
Basically i am trying to rename a bunch of *.pdf files based on their content.
All the pdf's have exactly the same structure, and only the following strings change: idnumber (which is composed of 7 digits); email adress; name and adress.
I want to create a file name which will be idnumber-name-email. I've already managed to get DropIt to rename all the files do the idnumber.pdf and next to idnumber-emailadress.pdf. But i don«t seem to find a way to do it with the name.
What happens is that the area where the name appears in the pdf looks like this:

Dear Mr(s)
name
adress
zip-code

So the way i see i could do it, was by using Carriage Return/Line Feed marks to tell dropit, what's the string to use - But can't find a way to use those CR\LF, neither in filters or destination.

Any help will be apreciated.
Thanks

justtry

#1511 Post by justtry »

I have some old bank statements which I am scanning and OCRing. I want to rename the files based on the first date in the statement (PDF) in format YYYY-MMM-DD-statement.pdf.

After setting up some rules, the date in my file was not detected. It's in the format DDMMMYY. What to do now? I checked the guide for Dropit which gave some guidance but not enough. After lots of searching, I went to add the needed date format to the setting.ini file (the guide did not specify its location but google helped - it's in the %AppData% folders)
I added %DAY%+%MONTH%+%YEAR% to the setting.ini (it should also work without the two +). It was still not working. More testing and frustrations! I then realised that the date in my PDF had the month in uppercase eg 6AUG19. My rules would detect the date if only the first letter of the month was uppercase ie Aug but would not detect aug, AuG, aug, AUG, aUG, hopefully you get the idea. More research...

I then amended my setting.ini as follows:
MonthJan=(?i)Jan[[:alpha:]]*
MonthFeb=(?i)Feb[[:alpha:]]*
MonthMar=(?i)Mar[[:alpha:]]*|M..?rz
MonthApr=(?i)Apr[[:alpha:]]*
MonthMay=(?i)May|Mai
MonthJun=(?i)Jun[[:alpha:]]*
MonthJul=(?i)Jul[[:alpha:]]*
MonthAug=(?i)Aug[[:alpha:]]*
MonthSep=(?i)Sep[[:alpha:]]*
MonthOct=(?i)O[kc]t[[:alpha:]]*
MonthNov=(?i)Nov[[:alpha:]]*
MonthDec=(?i)De[cz][[:alpha:]]*

Adding (?i) ensures that the month is detected whatever the case combination (upper or lower). Finally, the date in my PDF is detected and I don't have to rename all the PDFs manually.
I thought this might help someone going through the same as me.

Buckethead

DropIt 8.5.1 Video Problem

#1512 Post by Buckethead »

Hey folks,

I recently started using Dropit and so far Im liking it for photos. On the other side I have major problems when it comes to video.

When trying to sort videos I get wrong results.

Using the "C:\Users\Homje\Desktop\test\%YearTaken%\%MonthTaken%" as target-path puts the files into "false"-subfolder.
Using "C:\Users\Homje\Desktop\test\%YearCreated%\%MonthNameCreated%" puts the files in the wrong subfolder - meaning wrong year/month.

See the attached video and please turn off you headphones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrxOlyYpZAs

I am confused since it is working fine with pictures. The date of the videos in the file explorer are correct. Im guessing dropit doesnt know how to handle video meta data. Any idea?

webfork

Re: DropIt 8.5.1 Video Problem

#1513 Post by webfork »

@Buckethead: Hi and welcome to the site -- unfortunately development on DropIt appears to have stalled and some of the regulars that were more active with support for the program in years past have moved on. I've tried to put together a thread for DropIt alternatives, but so far not a lot of candidates.

Hopefully I'm very wrong and someone can assist with this issue, just didn't want you to wonder why if there weren't any suggestions.

(Merging with the existing DropIt discussion thread.)

Buckethead

#1514 Post by Buckethead »

Thank your for posting in the right sub. Over the past few days I was waiting my post to appear in the troubleshooting sub. So sorry for the late response. I will look into the alternatives.

Christiano

#1515 Post by Christiano »

Hi, I used the Dropit software and after accidentally sending a folder with CorelDRAW files to the Extract function, xml, .dat files and folders with the font, color etc were created.
The original .CDR files for CorelDRAW have disappeared and I have no idea where it is. Is there any way to recover?

Thanks!