DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Lupo73

Re: DropIt

#406 Post by Lupo73 »

We have verified that the cause of these issues is the function used to show messages (ExtMsgBox). For this reason we have finally decided to come back to the default function of AutoIt (MsgBox).

A consequence is the need to update the language again, updating a string and removing "Yes" and "No" strings now not needed. These are the updated language changes (hopefully the last update for version 1.6):

Code: Select all

ADDED:
MANAGE_ACTION=Action
MANAGE_DESTINATION_PROGRAM_SELECT=Select a destination program:
MANAGE_DESTINATION_PROGRAM=Destination Program
MANAGE_EDIT_MSGBOX_10=Executable or Script
OPEN_WITH=Open With
OPTIONS_TAB_3=Various
POSITIONPROCESS_LOG_7=Opened With

MODIFIED:
DROP_EVENT_MSGBOX_8=For some files/folders sorting operations are failed. Do you want to read a list of them?
MANAGE_EDIT_MSGBOX_0=Destination Error
MANAGE_EDIT_MSGBOX_1=You must specify a valid destination.
MANAGE_EDIT_MSGBOX_8=Action
MANAGE_EDIT_TIP_2=As destination are supported both absolute and relative paths.
MOREMATCHES_LABEL_0=Loaded item:
OPTIONS_CHECKBOX_11=Show Sorting Progress Bar during process

REMOVED:
MANAGE_TRANSFER_MODE=Transfer Mode
NO=No
YES=Yes

tproli

#407 Post by tproli »

Lupo73

#408 Post by Lupo73 »

Perfect! Thanks! ;)

Lupo73

#409 Post by Lupo73 »

Version 1.6 released! This is the final changelog of this new version:
- added action to open files and folders with defined programs
- added profile icons to context menu items
- added support to create duplicate associations with the same pattern
- added support to encrypt Profiles folder
- added support to move read-only files
- added support to wildcard characters in command line
- removed support to encrypt single closed profiles
- fixed minor bugs

We have started to work also on future release 2.0... It will not be as previously described (with a plugin system), because we have finally decided to keep it with a simple and efficient structure.
Instead the list of supported actions will be updated and extended, adding Extract and Delete. It will supports also more internal environment variables, to allow for example to sort files in folders named with file date creation or other file properties.

-.-

#410 Post by -.- »

nice, the 1.6 works fine.

The hang i thought from earlier was it processing the file. I found the option to show progress and it showed it was working.
I've also noticed the speed seems to be a little bit faster? I'm not sure if this is because I saw the progress bar moving and fooled myself into thinking its faster or if you changed it but I like it :D

guinness

#411 Post by guinness »

I think this could be down to the new version of Copy.dll and the reworking of code. :)

romulous

#412 Post by romulous »

This is really nice work guys :D

I've put together a few small, basic scripts using AutoIt, but nothing this complicated!

Regards,

romulous

Hydaral

#413 Post by Hydaral »

Any idea when Dropit will be able to use network / UNC paths? I'd like to use it to sort files for storage on my server.

Lupo73

#414 Post by Lupo73 »

Hydaral wrote:Any idea when Dropit will be able to use network / UNC paths? I'd like to use it to sort files for storage on my server.
We are discussing it in these days.. could you report us what may be the features supported? we may need also an online space to make tests, could someone help us?

Lupo73

#415 Post by Lupo73 »

I'm creating a mailing list of DropIt translators, to easily report you new translation updates.
I ask to all users interested to help us with translations, to send me a mail contact in a PM. I'll simply add it in a Gmail list and never use for other purposes. Thanks! ;)

Firewrath

#416 Post by Firewrath »

Quick post as ive been having net problems. -_-
(More then lacking access, :P)

Anyways,
someone told me about the update to launch programs, and while honestly im a little worried this might start moving the program away from the core concept, it is an interesting feature that i had an idea for. Though i'll admit i havnt read the full documentation for this feature so you might already do what im talking about, ...which is:

since i used dropit as a sendto shortcut, what if you did both Moving a file then Opening with a defined program,
for instance:
i download a PDF, right click, sento-Dropit(MyDocuments), which moves the files to 'My Documents' and Then opens it with Adobe Reader,

Also, since windows has default zip support, if you do this, could you add just a general 'open' command so the file opens with its default file association instead of a custom define program?

so that it would move zip files then open them with windows instead of needing something like 7zip installed,
this would also be nice for people that use DropIt on the PC in a nonportable manner and already have default programs to open up files,

Lupo73

#417 Post by Lupo73 »

You are right, Open With action is not in line with the initial concept of DropIt, but it is evolving with new features without makes interface more complex (so I think it is good).

The next version 2.0 under development will includes 7 different actions: Move, Copy, Compress, Extract, Open With, Delete, Exclude.
I think it will makes DropIt even more useful and complete, keeping the same interface structure.

Your idea of multiple actions is good, but actually the software is not designed to support it. I could consider to add it in ToDo list, even if it needs a wide code restyling to work fine.

Instead I'm not sure about implementation of Open action. It is not complex to develop, but to open files with default programs a simple double-click is enough (I think an additional action is not needed).
I could consider to add a global option to "open files/folders after sorting". Do you think it could be useful?

tproli

#418 Post by tproli »

Firewrath: if DropIt had a feature like "start this program after sorting has finished: xxx" then you could create a batch file to achieve that you're after.

"open files/folders after sorting": I don't use windows explorer so simply opening a containing folder is not very useful to me. Perhaps if an alternative program could be defined then it would be greater help (optionally with command-line support).

Lupo73

#419 Post by Lupo73 »

The actual Open With action allows to open files/folders with defined programs and already support command-line.
Instead, add support to combined actions like Move+OpenWith is more complex and needs the code restyling previously reported. I fear it could needs an important Edit Association window restyle, that could produce a more complex interface too.

guinness

#420 Post by guinness »

Correct me I am wrong, but wasn't the primary objective of DropIt to be a Portable program and not a standard Installation Program? As I have mentioned in the past DropIt should be a "KIS" Program (Keep It Simple) :D