DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
dragonmage

Re: DropIt

#706 Post by dragonmage »

I mentioned in my previous post that I intend to use DropIt in conjunction with Rainmeter. I have a proof of concept skin done that will position Dropit to line up correctly over top the Rainmeter skin, so long as DropIt is not running when the skin is loaded. The skin will also popover DropIt if the skin is refreshed, making it impossible to access DropIt without closing the skin.

Now to my point. I'd like to request a way to "restart" DropIt by commandline. I accomplish the positioning of DropIt to the skin by getting the current position of the skin adding the amount I need DropIt offset inside the skins area and writing the values to PosX= and PosY= to DropIt's settings.ini. I then have the skin run DropIt. If a skin is refreshed or moved that's were the trouble comes in, I have no way to tell DropIt that it should reload itself in the new position.

If you can add a commandline option to have it reload from the changed settings.ini that would be great. If you could also allow a commandline option to set a new position it would be even better.

I also would like to ask for user configurable mouse actions on the main window. Left, Middle, and Right both single and double clicks. Scroll wheel settings would be appreciated to, as I have a feeling that for most of my purposes I would prefer not to have it switch profiles.

guinness

#707 Post by guinness »

Lupo73

#708 Post by Lupo73 »

@romulous: I'm going to check the issue of the message behind the dialog box.. anyway note that from Options you can select the method to automatic manage duplicates..

@dragonmage: I'm glad to know that you and your team like DropIt.. and thanks for the report about the deletion issue, I'll check it and maybe guinness could help me to find a solution.. in the meanwhile you could help us doing few more tests (using different associations, changing rules to filter files, etc.).. About requests of your second post, I'll study them in these days..

@tux: as reported by joby_toss, the new version starts to use a different update method and needs to be manually updated.. I added also a report on DropIt website to alert for it..

@guinness: thanks for the udf update report :wink:

dragonmage

#709 Post by dragonmage »

Rules: *.txt;*.bmp;*.pdf

Drop: 2kb txt
Result: 33kb txt filled with "hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..." and nine 0kb "**.tmp" files

Drop: 42kb bmp
Result: 64kb bmp (unreadable) and nine 0kb "**.tmp" files (opened the bmp in Notepad++ and it shows "ëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëë...")

Drop: 524kb pdf
Result: 544kb pdf (unreadable) and nine 0kb "**.tmp" files (opened the pdf in Notepad++ and it shows "ëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëë...")

Drop: 42kb bmp and 524kb pdf
Result: 64kb bmp (unreadable) 524kb pdf (readable) and nine 0kb "**.tmp" files (opened the bmp in Notepad++ and it shows "ëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëë...")

Only attempting to wipe the first file maybe?

If you need anymore tests let me know.

romulous

#710 Post by romulous »

Lupo73 wrote:@romulous: I'm going to check the issue of the message behind the dialog box
Thanks.
Lupo73 wrote: .. anyway note that from Options you can select the method to automatic manage duplicates..
Yes, but I want some associations to always overwrite and others to not (to prompt me). The option dialog is a 'will always do this for every association' sort of deal, which doesn't work for me.

I've noticed another problem too - I had check for updates on start enabled, but no internet connection. I sent three files to DropIt (highlighted them all in the file manager and used the right click menu, DropIt was not running when I did this) - when DropIt opened up, it popped up the 'cannot connect to internet' error (as it went looking for an update), which I just clicked ok to (as I knew I didn't have an internet connection). It then processed the first file. Before it processed the second file, it again popped up the 'cannot connect to internet' error. I clicked ok, and it then processed the second file. Before it processed the third file, it again popped up the 'cannot connect to internet' error, which I had to click ok to. It then processed the third file. In other words, it looks to me like the update check is performed each time DropIt runs an association and it doesn't remember that it has already checked in that session (it should only show an error the first time - remember, DropIt was processing all 3 files at the same time as I had sent multiple files to it).
Last edited by romulous on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lupo73

#711 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks dragonmage for tests, I'm going to check this issue now..

@romulous: I'm checking also the message issue.. I added your feature request of manage duplicates in my ToDo list.. Instead the problem with the automatic check for updates is by design, because files sent with SendTo are received by different DropIt instances and then resent to the first instance, so I'll keep it in mind but I'm not sure it can be fixed..

romulous

#712 Post by romulous »

Ah, that explains why the multiple messages appeared. If it can be easily fixed, it would be desirable to have it done so IMHO.

The hidden message box is an odd one - send one file to DropIt and all is ok. Send two files to DropIt, there is no problem. Sending three files to DropIt is when the problem occurs. Very strange.

guinness

#713 Post by guinness »

so I'll keep it in mind but I'm not sure it can be fixed..
I didn't quite understand what can't be fixed? About DropIt checking for updates a date could be added to the INI file and then using _DateDiff if the date is one day older then check it and then set to todays date, this would solve the issue of duplicate popups when the Internet isn't connected etc.

Lupo73

#714 Post by Lupo73 »

Safely Erase issue is fixed!

About the support to differently manage duplicates for each association, maybe I'll implement it in future, but note that both messages to manage duplicates and to select the action have a checkbox to apply the selection to all the other files of the drop.

About the message issue, does it happen only if files are sent with SendTo or Command-Line?

About the update messages, I may have found a solution, but it will needs to be tested with the beta release.

romulous

#715 Post by romulous »

Lupo73 wrote:Safely Erase issue is fixed!
About the message issue, does it happen only if files are sent with SendTo or Command-Line?
I only use the Send To command with DropIt.

Lupo73

#716 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks to tproli, the new DropIt website is online!

si3rra

#717 Post by si3rra »

How about this that it's possible to make crazy associations,
if i make association Move *.txt destination: notepad.exe, the software accepts it. and when dropping a .txt the file is moved to the program folder for dropit, a new folder with the name notepad.exe .. there should be some kind of check to prevent the destination of not beeing a folder.

If i create a association for a filetype, i choose action "open with" and in the destination box i type something, like "c:\" im no longer able to use the destination search button, nothing happens when its clicked.

Also when setting upp associations, if i Choose Action: Rename, the label says "destination" that should be changed to fit better with the action, like New filename?, Action: Open with destination? better of with Program..

Setting up association *.txt, Acton: extract Destinaton Desktop, when dropping a .txt the software asks for "Password for decryption"... well it's a text file..

Creating association *.txt action: Compress, setting uses ZIP, 256 bits AES, and password set, when dropping a file into dropit no archive is created.

Lupo73

#718 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks for your tests.. note that some of them are already fixed in the next version I'm developing.. I'll work on the others and a first beta could be available this weekend :wink:

About "notepad.exe" destination, I'm considering to add a message to alert it, but I prefer to not prevent it at all because an user could desires to set destinations like this..

si3rra

#719 Post by si3rra »

Lupo73, thanks, but all this things i tested and found out is in the "DropIt_v4.0_Portable_Test3" version, is that not the one that is most up to date? :)

About notepad.exe as destination, i can't see why people would like that Move a file to a exe file, it's not possible to do, so why make it possible, the check sholuld be to see of desination = path then OK, if destination = filename, not OK

Lupo73

#720 Post by Lupo73 »

About the destination, I can add a check to verify it, but an user could wants to create destinations like "Test.example" or something else with dots and I prefer to keep this support.. I'll add the alert anyway..

I made few other changes since that unofficial test version, like a partial Edit window restyling (it is 20 pixels wider and the title of destination field now is changed with actions)..

I'm going to fix the "Open With" issue, the "Extract" issue and the "Compress" issue..