SES Type Portable

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
GrunkaLunka

SES Type Portable

#1 Post by GrunkaLunka »

SES Type is a neat little typing tutor. I started using it a while ago while I was trying (unsuccessfully) to learn Dvorak.

I ran some tests to see if it was portable. It's definitely not stealth because it writes the MRU to "HKCU\Software\Square Eyes Software", but it looked like otherwise it worked great. That is, until the drive letter/location of the executable changes, then it just errors out with "Could not find an important file". Turns out the path to the course being used is hardcoded into the session file (doh!).

After a little reverse engineering I was able to write a little AutoIt launcher that patches the session file to update the location of the course file.

How to use
  1. Download SES Type.
  2. Install to default location.
  3. Copy folder to removable drive, delete the Uninst.isu file.
  4. Uninstall program.
  5. Copy launcher to program folder in removable drive.
  6. Run launcher with the name of the session file to load as a paramenter. For example, set up PStart to run the launcher with "Sessions/<session_name>.ses" as a parameter.
I hope people find it useful.

Source
Compiled Script