ArcThemALL!

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
loin2kolpotoru

Re: ArcThemALL!

#226 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

For Long time i had an idea :idea: that how ArcThemALL! installer can be customized to install both Installed and Portable version of ArcThemALL!. And since the original ArcThemALL! installer script was written by me i want it to write it myself finally i have succeed in writing the new setup script for ArcThemALL! which will allow users to install both installed version or Portable version of ArcThemALL! without need of downloading Portable version separately.

When the Portable Mode is selected the uninstaller will not be created.

I hope you like it and release it in the next version of ArcThemALL! with my other suggestions.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
SetupSource.zip
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 731 times

guinness

#227 Post by guinness »

NSIS is a lot more customisable with excellent compression. I have no idea why Lupo73 doesn't migrate to this.

Though I'm intrigued to learn, so I will ponder over your ISS script.

loin2kolpotoru

#228 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

guinness wrote:NSIS is a lot more customisable with excellent compression. I have no idea why Lupo73 doesn't migrate to this.

Though I'm intrigued to learn, so I will ponder over your ISS script.
I have used both InnoSetup & NSIS but there is a reason that i personally chosen InnoSetup over NSIS.

I have Learned from my personal experience that if a virus attacks your pc and u clean it with anti virus there is 95% chance that the installers created the InnoSetup will still run even after the anti virus cleans it on the reverse side when the Installers created with NSIS are cleaned there is 98% chance they will get corrupted. This fact is not written in any documentation.

Another thing i find annoying in NSIS is that names all the files that have to be installed have to be written separately where in inno it can be done by this one command
Source: "..\ArcThemALL!_v{#MyAppVer}_Portable\*"; DestDir: "{app}";
Writing all file names separately gets really frustrating when large number of files to be installed.

guinness

#229 Post by guinness »

OK fair point and I take it on board.

loin2kolpotoru

#230 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

Here is a bit more Refined Version.
Attachments
Captured.jpg
SetupSource.zip
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 720 times

Lupo73

#231 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks for it! I like the idea of unify the packages. Do you think it is possible to detect if the OS is a 64bit system and select what .exe extract? Because I could consider to use your solution also for DropIt and unify 4 packages in 1.

loin2kolpotoru

#232 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

64bit detection is absolutely possible, for further info look for "Install Mode: 32-bit vs. 64-bit" in innosetup help.

Although i think DropIt and ArcThemAll are for totally for different task so they should not be unified in one package.

Lupo73

#233 Post by Lupo73 »

I'll read it. My plan is not to unify both apps, but DropIt has 4 packages (portable/installer and 32bit/64bit) so I'm considering to make a single exe.

joby_toss

#234 Post by joby_toss »

How about no OS detection at all? Just 4 checkboxes. And if the user has no idea what to chose, create an info tip saying to chose the 32 bit installer (or check it by default; advanced users will know to uncheck it if needed).

guinness

#235 Post by guinness »

Lupo73 wrote:Thanks for it! I like the idea of unify the packages. Do you think it is possible to detect if the OS is a 64bit system and select what .exe extract? Because I could consider to use your solution also for DropIt and unify 4 packages in 1.
I did propose this when I active with development.

Lupo73

#236 Post by Lupo73 »

guinness wrote:I did propose this when I active with development.
I'm still torn whether to change or keep the current solution, I'd like to know the opinion of several portable software users, because personally I think the unified installer is good but I prefer separated packages.

guinness

#237 Post by guinness »

Well I have a unified installer which I use with my custom AutoIt compiler, so it's pretty much automated. I create the code, set the makefile, click compile and voila I have an installer & zip file built with help file etc...

loin2kolpotoru

#238 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

guinness wrote:Well I have a unified installer which I use with my custom AutoIt compiler, so it's pretty much automated. I create the code, set the makefile, click compile and voila I have an installer & zip file built with help file etc...
where can i download it?

guinness

#239 Post by guinness »

loin2kolpotoru wrote:where can i download it?
It's not online.

loin2kolpotoru

#240 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

These two features are broken -
Integrate in Context menu
Integrate in SendTo menu

because files are not loaded when ArcThemALL!_v5.0 in not running.

And please at least add a drop down menu which will change according to the compressor selected, When Upx/Mew11/Mpress/Upack is selected it will give option to Create Backup or Don't Create Backup and when zip/7z is selected it will give option Keep Source after Compressing or Delete Source after Compressing.

You can add a option to enable/disable this menu if someone thinks it is cluttering the gui he can turn off this menu.